Author Topic: Cast iron fetishists  (Read 811 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Cast iron fetishists
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »
Woot has some today
http://home.woot.com/plus/cuisinart-cast-iron-8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Cast iron fetishists
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
I have two of the big cast iron pots, they're great for slow cooking soups, stews, chili, etc.

Get them up to temp, turn the burner down to the lowest setting, and let it go all day...

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:35:17 AM »
There was a time in human history when cast iron was the only cookware we had!

Bull feathers.
If they don't know history any better than that I don't need their junk.

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:42:02 AM »
Woot has a distinctive "sense of humor", don't read too much into anything other than the raw technical specs for anything they sell.

Chris

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:20 AM »
Mom had a couple of cast iron implements, Dutch Oven, Frying pan, etc. dating from the late 19th century.  They were her mother's, and who knows how far back they went, all in all.

I once tried to wash one with soap and water and got hollered at.  She said you just wipe them off and maybe rinse them, but that was it.  

I never did much cooking, but as far as I could tell from her remarks, and my later limited cooking experience, they were better in "rinse, wipe" condition than the later Teflon-coated stuff.

I don't know about the newer ceramic coatings, though.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
I have never had a teflon coated pan where the coating lasted any length of time without getting scratched up.

I clean my cast iron skillet with soap and water.  It still has grease/oil soaked in afterward.  Just want to make sure it is clean enough that nothing is going to start growing in it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »
^ "I clean my cast iron skillet with soap and water.  It still has grease/oil soaked in afterward."

And soap residue, as my Mom pointed out so emphatically.  Besides being subject to rusting with brown rust afterwards-- which appeared almost immediately.  Mom was no chemist or biologist, but knew how to treat cast iron cookware.  And nobody ever got sick from her cooking, either.

She had to re-break-in my squeakily-cleaned dutch oven by oiling it and putting it on the stove until lots of smoke came off'n it. I think she used lard for this operation.  Except for the oil she used, I remember that whole incident pretty clearly.

Like I say, I'm no cook/chef/gourmet, but them's the rules I was taught.

She also had a hangup about washing beer glasses with soap, or using them as milk glasses.

Maybe it was all just superstitious behavior, though. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:57:12 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
The two things I would be interested in buying are sold out.... =( =( =| =|
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.