Author Topic: Why One Democrat backs Obama . . .  (Read 4379 times)

HankB

• friend
Why One Democrat backs Obama . . .
« on: February 20, 2008, 07:58:21 AM »
Chris Matthews was interviewing State Senator Kirk Watson (D-TX) and asked him what Obama accomplished as a legislator - after all, Watson (former mayor of Austin, TX) IS backing Obama, so the list of Obama's accomplishments ought to rattle right off his tongue, right?

I mean, no intelligent person would support someone for President of the United States unless he had very good idea of what the person's actual accomplishments were, right?

Take a look & listen at the video here:

http://www.kxan.com/Global/category.asp?C=4425#poll68851
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: Why One Democrat backs Obama . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:05:11 AM »
Oh noes, next you'll be telling me they pass things into law which they have never read...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
I heard part of this on Rush today. I am astounded that anyone could support a person for president and have no clue about the guy.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
Accomplishments?? Who needs them when you have politically correct complexion and/or a uterus?

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »
Accomplishments?? Who needs them when you have politically correct complexion and/or a uterus?

*snort*.  Valid point.

We have to back Obamarama,  because he for, like change, and like hope and stuff...

nico

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
A friend at school told me last week that she liked Obama because of his speeches.  She has NO idea what his views are or what he's done.  What's worse is if you say anything positive about even a marginally conservative candidate, she looks at you like you're mentally ill.   rolleyes

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:11:51 AM »
Well, I happen to have both, if that's all it takes.
Except I don't want to be President. Overlord or High Executioner, but not President.  grin
Carry on.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:14 AM »
Except I don't want to be President. Overlord or High Executioner, but not President. 
Hmmmm.... Overlord. That sounds interesting. What exactly are the job duties, responsibilities and perqs of an Overlord.

Lord Werewolf - nice ring to it...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »
Except I don't want to be President. Overlord or High Executioner, but not President.
Condi, is that you?   grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »
A friend at school told me last week that she liked Obama because of his speeches.  She has NO idea what his views are or what he's done.  What's worse is if you say anything positive about even a marginally conservative candidate, she looks at you like you're mentally ill.   rolleyes

Charisma sells.

I'd bet that personal charisma attracted just as many people to Kennedy, Reagan, or Bill Clinton as the messages those three delivered while on the campaign trail.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:37:16 AM »
Condi, is that you?

cheesy laugh cheesy

Hmmmm.... Overlord. That sounds interesting. What exactly are the job duties, responsibilities and perqs of an Overlord.
Lord Werewolf - nice ring to it...
In order to get the job, just tell the people everything they want to hear, especially if they're willing to settle for something as simple and vague as "change".
The job duties are destroying and/or disappearing anyone and everything who is a threat to your ultimate power and authority, or who merely displeased you. The candidates who talked trash about you on the campaign trail and those silly politicians who believe they'll still have a say in anything? Traitors! The Wal-Mart greeter who failed to hail you by your first and last name upon entry when they should've known how much money you spent there over the past year? Off with his/her grey-haired head!
Responsibilities: keeping yourself amused and entertained throughout your reign, which by your own decree extends at least 1,000 years after your physical death. You'll be watching from the other side, right?
Perqs? Absolute control over the lives and death of the human race. Hey, you have nukes and aren't afraid to use them. Just ask Mecca, North Korea and Disney World (hey, you were bored that day. See "Responsibilities".)
Oh, and if you're Overlord you get to eat the regular Lords every now and then. grin
How would that be for a "change"?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Strings

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 11:33:25 AM »
Ok... so we're all writing in LadySmith for the general election, right?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:00:02 PM »
She, I mean Her Highness, gets my vote...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

nico

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 01:57:39 PM »

Charisma sells.

I'd bet that personal charisma attracted just as many people to Kennedy, Reagan, or Bill Clinton as the messages those three delivered while on the campaign trail.

I agree.  It's just annoying as hell to give an itemized explanation of why I do/do not like XX candidate and still get the "what are you stupid?" look from someone who can't even list 3 views that their guy holds.  Peoples' short-sightedness is pretty frustrating too.  As many here know, I'm a dental student.  Another friend at school was (and probably still is) all for Obama and the idea of socialized medicine until my girlfriend pointed out that his plan includes dentistry.  Apparently, the girl doesn't have a problem with government interference screwing over physicians and lowering the standard of care in medicine, but she starts singing a different tune if she thinks it's going to affect her income.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »
Except I don't want to be President. Overlord or High Executioner, but not President.  grin
Carry on.

I am not on board with the OL/HE bit, but I think Bill Buckley had the right idea when he said he'd rather be ruled by the first 1000 names in the phone book than the faculties at Ivy League universities.

So, I think a LadySmith candidacy to be a welcome alternative.  Kinda like Ron Paul without the KKKluxer funding and conspiracy theory nutters.

What's you slogan?  "A snubby in every pot, a mugger in a funeral plot" seems a bit wordy, but has such a warm thouht behind it.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »
Hey Bogie !!!!

Looks like we need some LadySmith/Chulthu '08 stickers post haste........ grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 03:06:27 PM »

No.  We are writing in ___ ____.  He is a god on Earth.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 02:14:35 AM »
Is the video still up?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 03:34:20 AM »
Is the video still up?
Check Youtube . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 04:26:09 AM »
Found it.

Wow, stunning.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 03:15:43 AM »

I'm writing in Tecsumeh.  He seems to have the solutions to all of our ills.  Smartest man ever born.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 03:56:47 AM »

I'm writing in Tecsumeh.  He seems to have the solutions to all of our ills.  Smartest man ever born.

but as soon as he leaves the magic kingdom he'll get stupider and stupider till after about 10 years of making a living he'll be an ignorant putz like us and some new genius will be telling him why  i gotta live to watch that

TF_FH

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 10:28:15 AM »
I was talking with my ex and she said that she is going to vote for Obama because "He is black so he has had to deal with hardships because of discrimination and because of that he is going to help out people who have problems making it for themselves".  (Shes a single mom on food stamps who thinks that the government should be there to help people out all the time).  My jaw just about dropped when she said that! 

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 04:09:30 PM »
The Democratic race is a battle between two sides of the same coin - there will be no substantive difference in the governing style of an Obama or Clinton White House. Even beyond the similarities of their political profile, they will be constrained by a split Congress or a weak Democratic Congress.

So, why wouldn't someone vote based on more subjective criteria - charisma, electability, speaking prowess?

A pleasant style and friendly demeanor worked wonders for the GOP once upon a time.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."