Author Topic: SWAT on oil rigs?  (Read 9604 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
SWAT on oil rigs?
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
A federal official says the leading edge of a massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is expected to reach the Mississippi River delta by Thursday night.

National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration spokesman Charles Henry says as of this morning, part of the slick is about 3 miles from the Louisiana shore.

(Scroll down to view a map of approximate locations where the oil spill has spread and where it is expected to spread Thursday)

Officials say they will do everything they can to not disrupt river traffic.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal announced that BP PLC has agreed to allow local fishermen to assist in the expected cleanup. Under the agreement, shrimpers and fishermen could be contracted by BP to help.

Jindal's declaration says at least 10 wildlife management areas and refuges in his state and neighboring Mississippi are in the oil plume's path. It also notes that billions of dollars have been invested in coastal restoration projects that may be at risk.

BP operated the rig that exploded and sank 50 miles offshore last week and is directing the cleanup and trying to stop the leak from a blown-out underwater well.

BP PLC chief operating officer Doug Suttles says the company is hoping to try the unusual technique of using chemicals to break up the oil under water.

The company has been reviewing research on the technique which has been used before, but never at these depths. The well is almost a mile underwater.

Suttles says the company is bringing the chemical to the site of massive spill and already has a giant reel of tubing in place. If approved, work could start Thursday night.

U.S. Coast Guard Rear Adm. Mary Landry called it "a novel, absolutely novel idea."

The Obama administration pledged an all-out response Thursday to the massive oil spill, dispatching top officials to the region to help coordinate defenses against the potential environmental disaster.

"We are being very aggressive and we are prepared for the worst case," Coast Guard Rear Adm. Sally Brice-O'Hara said at the White House.

President Obama, speaking at an event for the 2010 National Teacher of the Year, said he had been receiving frequent briefings on the situation and that he is prepared to use the resources of the Department of Defense if necessary to deal with the oil spill.

Suttles said at a news conference on Thursday that the company has asked the Department of Defense if they can help with better underwater equipment than is available commercially. The company has specifically asked for imaging techniques and remote operating vehicles, he said.

Mr. Obama said SWAT teams were being dispatched to the Gulf to investigate oil rigs and said his administration is now working to determine the cause of the disaster.

The president promised to deploy "every single available resource" to the area and ordered his disaster and environmental leaders to go. The Navy is sending 66,000 feet of inflatable boom and seven skimming systems, and using its bases in the region as staging areas for the operation.

Federal officials announced inspections would begin immediately of all oil rigs in the Gulf and subpoena powers would be used in the gathering investigation. But the priority was to support the oil company BP PLC in employing booms, skimmers, chemical dispersants and controlled burns to fight the oil surging from the seabed.

Umm... 'scuze me?

SWAT is for breakin-stuff and rapid-force subjugation.  Not for forensic examination of A-OK floating oil rigs.  When have you ever heard of SWAT doing an investigation?

Furthermore... were I a company operating a perfectly 100% floating and functioning oil rig in international water, and Obama sent LAPD or some other local SWAT (or even FBI or another domestic federal agency) to my facility, I'd tell 'em to GTFO right-quick.

I can't see a legitimate use of SWAT on a law abiding and floating oil rig other than intimidation of the oil industry, or a staging operation for a nationalization of oil rigs.

ETA:  Forgot to link source.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/29/national/main6444311.shtml
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 06:33:41 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: SWAT on oil rigs?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:42:51 PM »
Is there even a remote possibility that he was being more retarded than usual and meant CSI, OSHA, UWL or, pretty much ANYONE that might actually have an investigative and analysis and reporting type job?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:47:03 PM »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/04/29/obama_announces_he_will_be_sending_swat_teams_to_oil_rigs.html

Video link above.

He deliberately mentions Napolitano, DHS, and SWAT teams.

I think he's blame-fishing.  What's that Aulinsky screed?  "Never let a tragedy go unexploited?"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/04/29/obama_announces_he_will_be_sending_swat_teams_to_oil_rigs.html

Video link above.

I think he's blame-fishing.  What's that Aulinsky screed?  "Never let a tragedy go unexploited?"

Never mind then. That answers my question.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
Is there even a remote possibility that he was being more retarded than usual and meant CSI, OSHA, UWL or, pretty much ANYONE that might actually have an investigative and analysis and reporting type job?
I'd hope so. SWAT is one of the worst groups to send out to an event like this... unless [tinfoil] they're not telling us the truth, and this was a terrorist act. [tinfoil]
The girl scouts would do a better job than SWAT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »

Video link above.

Anyone find the fact that DHS even HAS tactical teams to be somewhat disconcerting?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 06:57:27 PM »
I'd hope so. SWAT is one of the worst groups to send out to an event like this... unless [tinfoil] they're not telling us the truth, and this was a terrorist act. [tinfoil]
The girl scouts would do a better job than SWAT.

Good observation.  It's certainly possible, though technically challenging for ME terrorists.  Possibly Mexican/Chinese/Venezuelan in origin, though.  Sabotaging oil doesn't profit the Chinese... they are consumers just like we are.  Mexico and Venezuela then become the primary suspects for sources of terrorism like this.  As much as I hate illegal immigration, I don't see Mexico doing something like this in retaliation for something that 1 state out of 50 did (AZ's immigration issue) and so I see VZ as the likely source, if any.  They have proximity, and a loony leader willing to do it.

If it wasn't terrorism though, then I hope BP and the other companies in the Gulf put up a serious fight over this.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
Anyone find the fact that DHS even HAS tactical teams to be somewhat disconcerting?

No more than the Dep of Education...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
I'd like to see a SWAT team try and board a oil platform
crewed by 50 or so roughnecks. Would be interesting.

If this Obama fool really means to send SWAT teams to oil rigs, we
need to send him a message that his decision is a tad
bit out of line, and is shitstupid.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
I'd like to see a SWAT team try and board a oil platform
crewed by 50 or so roughnecks. Would be interesting.

Meh, it'd be pretty easy at chow time...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
its possible that the oil companies have teams of crisis management guys they send out with that monicker.  when i worked for marriot i travelled around to fubar accts  and straighten them out they called us swat teams
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »
Not really. Chow time feeds 1/3 of the crew at a time.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:48 PM »

Video link above.

I think he's blame-fishing.  What's that Aulinsky screed?  "Never let a tragedy go unexploited?"
Heard that quote on the radio today.  I can only hope Obama misspoke and didn't really mean police commandos were being sent to all of the oil rigs.  

At the time I wasn't aware that the print media had picked up and reported on the SWAT thing, though.  I would have to assume that the reporters simply parroted back what they heard Obama say without giving the matter any thought themselves.  

Or maybe he really does mean to send SWAT teams to the oil rigs.   [tinfoil]

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »
Not really. Chow time feeds 1/3 of the crew at a time.

As a former rig worker who used to eat like 10000 calories a sitting and growl if anyone tried to get between me and the banana cream pie, I should have inserted a smilie. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
With all the chemicals on the platform, I'm sure some evil cocktails could be made up.  >:D

Abraham Lincoln

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »
you misunderstood.  It's the Sinky Wells Asploding Team he's referring to.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 12:06:24 AM »
Anybody else think it's wierd that O can send Napolitano/ DHS to stop an oil slick but won't do anything to stop the flood of humans crossing the border.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 03:13:20 AM »
Meh, it'd be pretty easy at chow time...

And pretty regrettable if it happens to be chili night.

A full crew on beans, cabbage and pickled eggs is probably banned by various international treaties, but try telling them that...particularly, try telling them that when you can't inhale.

taurusowner

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 03:49:52 AM »
Anybody else think it's wierd that O can send Napolitano/ DHS to stop an oil slick but won't do anything to stop the flood of humans crossing the border.

Priorities.  Those two things both keep the greenie voters in their camp, and ensure the addition of millions of new voters from down south.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 06:21:56 AM »
  As much as I hate illegal immigration, I don't see Mexico doing something like this in retaliation for something that 1 state out of 50 did (AZ's immigration issue) and so I see VZ as the likely source, if any. 

If it was sabotage, it could still have Mexican origins. Like the kidnappings in Mexico City, some groups might be seeking "protection money" from the oil companies. If the company doesn't pay it, bad things end up happening to their properties....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
Ding, ding, ding!  CSD wins the prize for calling it accurately!  From an article in today's WSJ:

The Interior Department said it has assembled a "swat team" of inspectors to review safety at offshore drilling rigs across the U.S. Mr. Salazar was scheduled to meet in Washington late Thursday with representatives of more than a dozen oil and natural gas companies to discuss how to reduce the odds of another catastrophic blowout, according to an email sent by Mr. Salazar's office to industry representatives.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
Salazar can go to hell. He is the reason for tens of thousands of oilfield workers being without a job since
the annointed one bought the Presidency.

Abraham Lincoln

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
Has there been a reason given for the explosion?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
Not that I have seen but with the involvement of DHS and swat, one has to wonder if it was deliberate.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »
Ding, ding, ding!  CSD wins the prize for calling it accurately!  From an article in today's WSJ:

The Interior Department said it has assembled a "swat team" of inspectors to review safety at offshore drilling rigs across the U.S. Mr. Salazar was scheduled to meet in Washington late Thursday with representatives of more than a dozen oil and natural gas companies to discuss how to reduce the odds of another catastrophic blowout, according to an email sent by Mr. Salazar's office to industry representatives.

Yea, that seems to be the case, I'm seeing it pop up elsewhere too.  Poor word choice on his part though, due to confusion caused.

Unless....unless it isn't!   [tinfoil]