Author Topic: sweet!  (Read 1027 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: sweet!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:07:07 AM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/political-bookworm/2011/02/president_carter_named_in_5_mi.html?hpid=news-col-blog

carter getting sued?  makes my day!

One of our resident lawyers will need to chime in, but this isn't going anywhere.  It's an annoyance.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »
IANAL, but let's assume their assertions - that a politician LIED in his book - are true.

Wouldn't the plaintiffs have to show that they suffered actual harm even in order to have standing to sue?  Seems like that would be pretty hard unless they were personally libeled.

I expect the suit will be dismissed promptly.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
IANAL, but let's assume their assertions - that a politician LIED in his book - are true.

Wouldn't the plaintiffs have to show that they suffered actual harm even in order to have standing to sue?  Seems like that would be pretty hard unless they were personally libeled.

I expect the suit will be dismissed promptly.

That's if they are claiming libel.

They are claiming false advertising according to the article. It will likely be dismissed, but they should have standing to bring this suit.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
"Carter did not like the implications of the way the meeting actually unfolded and so he decided to rewrite the conversation to how he thought it should have gone."

[popcorn]
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.