Author Topic: Another Police Shooting - Justified  (Read 1443 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Another Police Shooting - Justified
« on: August 09, 2016, 02:57:52 PM »
This past Sunday (8/7/16) morning Cincinnati had a police shooting of a knife welding man.  He robbed a Kroger in the Over The Rhine section of town and was later confronted by 2 CPD officers about 10 blocks away.  Luckily the officers confronted him at what is called Government Square, which is a hub for our Metro buses, so there were plenty of cameras to witness the events.  The now dead person immediately attacked the officer, before the officer was even out of the cruiser, the second video shows how fast it went down.  During this 48 hour period of time there was no rioting and no unrest, community leaders called for patience while the investigation was going on and were ready to wait for all the facts to come out.  Our prosecutor, Joe Deters, has declined to seek any charges saying that the officer was fully justified in defending himself. 

I just finished listening to one of our local talk radio stations (700 WLW) and evidently the now dead person was homeless and the homeless coalition director is still calling for the arrest of the officer for shooting this guy.  The homeless coalition director even suggested that the officer should have done something else other than shooting the guy, even take a couple of knife stabs.

Another interesting note the prosecutor stated that there were 3 witnesses other than the officers. 2 of the witnesses corroborated the police account the other one told the investigators that the guy had his hands raised and was doing nothing.  The witness didn't know about the videos.  The investigator said "Oh is that true?" and the witness said "Yes, it was true."  The investigator then said "Would you like to come see the video tape."

Article: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/08/08/live-police-provide-update-fatal-officer-involved-shooting/88390456/
Video of suspect Robbing a Kroger Store and threatening a security guard with a knife: http://cin.ci/2aWtOZg
Video of suspect Attacking Officers still in the cruiser: http://cin.ci/2b9wXYX
Interview of our prosecutor: https://www.facebook.com/700wlw/videos/1391175154242375/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Another Police Shooting - Justified
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 03:13:34 PM »

6 minutes into the interview is the witness lying prior to being told there was tape.

This is exactly why cops should be screaming for more body cameras and whatnot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:17:02 PM »
6 minutes into the interview is the witness lying prior to being told there was tape.

This is exactly why cops should be screaming for more body cameras and whatnot.

Yes, the witness is lying prior to being told there is a video (according to the prosecutor.)

Cincinnati Police are getting ready to deploy 700 cameras, there was a hold up with the contract with Taser.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
It used to be assumed that when you attacked an officer with a weapon the inevitable result is that you would be shot.  I don't see why that outcome is in question today.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
I tend to watch a lot of those Most Shocking shows on TruTV channel.  They often show videos of police dealing with criminals.  Most of the time, the videos show the police using quite a bit a restraint when they would be fully justified in shooting the perp until dead.  It may not be representative, but I think 99.9% of cops go out of their way to avoid shooting people. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:32:45 AM »
Just read about this incident, and how the homeless advocate and BLM spokesperson both stated something to the effect that the officer never should have drawn his firearm, and that an officer is expected to take those kinds of risks.  Then read on FB some crap about how a knife isn't deadly force justifying gunfire...

and I got worried.  People in jury pools read this garbage.  People in jury pools will believe it.  For us as armed citizens, we don't want anyone selling the idea that a knife isn't a deadly threat, and that deadly force is not an appropriate/justified response to a knife.  Bad precedent for any situation where an armed citizen may need to fire against a knife-armed assailant.  And, another thing.  Too many people think that LEOs are allowed to use deadly force where citizens are not.  Somewhere, people will conclude that "if a cop can't shoot a man with a knife, why can Jon Citizen be allowed to legally do so?"  Hope this trend gets shut down right now.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »
Just read about this incident, and how the homeless advocate and BLM spokesperson both stated something to the effect that the officer never should have drawn his firearm, and that an officer is expected to take those kinds of risks.  Then read on FB some crap about how a knife isn't deadly force justifying gunfire...

and I got worried.  People in jury pools read this garbage.  People in jury pools will believe it.  For us as armed citizens, we don't want anyone selling the idea that a knife isn't a deadly threat, and that deadly force is not an appropriate/justified response to a knife.  Bad precedent for any situation where an armed citizen may need to fire against a knife-armed assailant.  And, another thing.  Too many people think that LEOs are allowed to use deadly force where citizens are not.  Somewhere, people will conclude that "if a cop can't shoot a man with a knife, why can Jon Citizen be allowed to legally do so?"  Hope this trend gets shut down right now.

For anyone willing to say a knife isn't a deadly threat, I challenge them to stand still while I cut their throat.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 06:56:59 PM »
The homeless coalition director even suggested that the officer should have done something else other than shooting the guy, even take a couple of knife stabs.

In the USA, the vast majority of people are going to (rightly, I think) categorize somebody saying that the cop should have accepted being stabbed in order to not kill the stabber to be a loony extremist. 

But of course BLM is still saying that it was the police who instigated it! 

"No mental health professionals on scene"?  They didn't even get to assess!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
For anyone willing to say a knife isn't a deadly threat, I challenge them to stand still while I cut their throat.

I'd challenge them to survive ten seconds with a determined ten year old with a sharp knife.  Bear in mind that you're not going to know how sharp a given knife is in an attack until it's cutting you, though.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
Does not have to be sharp. I clearly remember Horace Shipley  chasing a guy down a corridor with a large metal spoon driven into one side of his neck so hard tip of handle protruded from other side. It was not sharpened at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I