Author Topic: The Russians have landed! The Russians have landed!  (Read 3107 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: The Russians have landed! The Russians have landed!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 12:02:11 AM »
So what made it illegal is they said they were Americans, when they weren't ??

That's an awfully thin reed.  And looking at the names of the groups (and the various hashtags), it would bet that not one person changed their vote because of them.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 08:14:42 AM »

It's illegal for foreign entities to interfere with U. S.  elections this way,  THAT'S  the crime.

Is "interfere" defined somewhere?  I'm just curious about the difference between 'express an opinion' and 'interfere with an election.'

In other news, indictments mean nothing.  As the old Russian saying goes, "A good prosecuter could get an indictment for a boar sandwich."

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 08:57:05 AM »
Prediction:  questionable charges to prove they've accomplished something with this witchhunt.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 09:52:27 AM »
Prediction:  questionable charges to prove they've accomplished something with this witchhunt.

Exactly. Some of the folks on Mueller's team are well known for just making *expletive deleted*it up in order to indict someone.  Many of his team have been previously sanctioned for doing so.  I think he hired some of these people deliberately for that very reason.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »
What Amy said bears repeating:

No one anywhere is saying that Russian agents hacked voting machines, fraudulently registered votes and/or voters, stuffed ballot boxes, or in any way "hacked" the ACTUAL election.

Our "betters" are upset and witch hunting because some undefinable group of voters was too stupid to even Snopes a political article they saw on Facebook.  They've spent 50 years making it easier and easier for folks to register and vote, and now they're upset with the crop of mouth breathers they motor voter registered and bused to the polls.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
What Amy said bears repeating:

No one anywhere is saying that Russian agents hacked voting machines, fraudulently registered votes and/or voters, stuffed ballot boxes, or in any way "hacked" the ACTUAL election.

Our "betters" are upset and witch hunting because some undefinable group of voters was too stupid to even Snopes a political article they saw on Facebook.  They've spent 50 years making it easier and easier for folks to register and vote, and know they're upset with the crop of mouth breathers they motor voter registered and bused to the polls.

Freakin' a thousand times this. If you want to investigate actual voter/election fraud, you'd better start with the fraudulently registered and "double" voters brought to you courtesy of certain political groups right here in the good old USA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »
So what made it illegal is they said they were Americans, when they weren't ??

That's an awfully thin reed.  And looking at the names of the groups (and the various hashtags), it would bet that not one person changed their vote because of them.

No,  it is illegal for foreigners to interfere in American elections.  They posed as Americans to cover the fact that they weren't Americans.  Isn't that clear enough?
I didn't say they changed anyone's vote.  I don't believe they did.  But that's irrelevant to the charges.
If it soothes anyone's conscience,  these Russians will not be tried in any court;  they won't be extradited to America,  and they won't be tried in Russia.  Putin might have them shot,   but only if they plan a trip to America.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
No,  it is illegal for foreigners to interfere in American elections.

Define 'interfere.'  Is it defined in the US Code somewhere?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 12:19:12 PM »
I found this, but no other definition of interference.

In a decision that was later affirmed by the Supreme Court, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia ruled that the foreign national ban “does not restrain foreign nationals from speaking out about issues or spending money to advocate their views about issues. It restrains them only from a certain form of expressive activity closely tied to the voting process—providing money for a candidate or political party or spending money in order to expressly advocate for or against the election of a candidate.” Bluman v. FEC, 800 F. Supp. 2d 281, 290 (D.D.C. 2011), aff’d 132 S. Ct. 1087 (2012).

Source https://www.fec.gov/updates/foreign-nationals/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 12:50:18 PM »

Given that definition, I'm thinking the money spent on this investigation of a dozen or so individuals would be better spent going after likely 100,000 or more federal employees that routinely violate the Hatch Act every major election cycle. Not to mention every day of their careers that falls under a Republican administration.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 02:47:10 PM »
Define 'interfere.'  Is it defined in the US Code somewhere?
It means to throw smoke bombs into the voting booth during elections so the voter accidently votes for the guy he is against. [tinfoil]

Seriously, I'm not a lawyer.  The Russians were using e-mails in an effort to sow discord in the American electorate, apparently at first, pro Trump, and after the election (yes AFTER) anti - Trump rallies were organized or "pushed" by these Russkies.
If you want U. S. Code stuff you'll need to consult a lawyer.

It's all moot anyway, you know;  none of these Russkies will ever see the inside of an American courtroom for reasons already discussed.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »

In a decision that was later affirmed by the Supreme Court, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia ruled that the foreign national ban “does not restrain foreign nationals from speaking out about issues or spending money to advocate their views about issues. It restrains them only from a certain form of expressive activity closely tied to the voting process—providing money for a candidate or political party or spending money in order to expressly advocate for or against the election of a candidate.” Bluman v. FEC, 800 F. Supp. 2d 281, 290 (D.D.C. 2011), aff’d 132 S. Ct. 1087 (2012).

So we're back to The Guardian and The Times interfering with the election by spending money publishing newspaper that express support for or against American candidates.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.