Author Topic: We are winning  (Read 1842 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
We are winning
« on: April 07, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
http://news.msn.com/us/video?videoid=e94658a8-523f-5ade-f42b-5f7bdab778ce&ap=true

Less than four months after the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut — the state moved to toughen its gun laws. In many other parts of the country, however, gun laws are moving in the opposite direction.

MicroBalrog: Those peopl who bought $2000 AKs four months ago will be looking pretty silly in four years.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

dogmush

• friend
Re: We are winning
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »
Anyone that bought a $2000 AK looks pretty silly right now.

We still have the background check thingy to kill

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
Wouldn't know we are winning by looking at the Gander Mountain ammo and reloading shelves this morning.  =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »
MicroBalrog: Those peopl who bought $2000 AKs four months ago will be looking pretty silly in four years.

Depends where you're located. 

Depends on how well lessons can be learned and retained. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
The Background Check Thingy is the main objective. Everything else is noise. If the mandatory background check thing passes, law is that no honest person acquire a weapon without prior government approval. You will need a permission slip to exercise the Second Amendment. That is a big shift of power. And then you have to deal with the whole covert registration thingy that is CERTAIN to follow. Scary stuff.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:09:43 PM »
Wouldn't know we are winning by looking at the Gander Mountain ammo and reloading shelves this morning.  =(

That's good news. More of the people are buying more guns and ammo. The market for 2nd amendment products is expanding.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 02:17:08 PM »
That's good news. More of the people are buying more guns and ammo. The market for 2nd amendment products is expanding.

Exactly.  At my local indoor range, there are so many people shooting nowadays that you have to put your name on a waiting list to get a lane.  In the 15 years I've been going to that range, I've never had to do that until this year.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 02:29:36 PM »
I can tell you that black democrats at work who only had one or two guns in December are now half dozen gun owners and literally spitting in contempt at names like Feinstein/Schumer. Still haven't all out turned on Obama yet, but baby steps. Baby steps.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »
Exactly.  At my local indoor range, there are so many people shooting nowadays that you have to put your name on a waiting list to get a lane.  In the 15 years I've been going to that range, I've never had to do that until this year.

Excellent.

I can tell you that black democrats at work who only had one or two guns in December are now half dozen gun owners and literally spitting in contempt at names like Feinstein/Schumer. Still haven't all out turned on Obama yet, but baby steps. Baby steps.
Excellent.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »

I went to a Conservation Department shooting range yesterday. It's usually a fairly busy place, since it is next door to a large population center, and only charges $3 per hour (as opposed to indoor ranges that might charge $6 (if you pay $200/year for a membership) or $18 (for non-members (they call it an hourly membership, which is dumb)).

It was a beautiful Saturday, and there were about a dozen people in line just for the handgun lanes. I figured we would go and play with the shotgun for a few minutes, while we waited. The shotgun patterning range has one lane, so we waited for one guy to finish there, and another group came in to wait behind us (a family all dressed head-to-toe in Realtree, or some other civilian camo pattern). We finished with the shotgun, and found that the handgun line had died down quite a bit. But the people we had originally been in line behind (before we did the shotgun thing) were still waiting. They waited for at least 2 hours, maybe 2 1/2.

Also, since race has been brought up here, a fair number of black people, and some fellows that were, um, don't know; Indian, maybe. One black guy had a little boy with him, to carry his AR.  =D  An awesome day for him, I'll bet. Then again, where I live, you can't go into a gun store or gun show without seeing some black folks.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:41:49 PM by fistful »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »
Baby steps.

Yes. I'm a little worried about some of this stuff at the state and national level, but the long-term trend is with us. I just hope there's enough time left.  =|

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 03:01:44 PM »
I went to a Conservation Department shooting range yesterday. It's usually a fairly busy place, since it is next door to a large population center, and only charges $3 per hour (as opposed to indoor ranges that might charge $6 (if you pay $200/year for a membership) or $18 (for non-members (they call it an hourly membership, which is dumb)).

It was a beautiful Saturday,  and there were about a dozen people in line just for the handgun lanes.

Counter example.  I went to the club yesterday.  It was a pretty decent day, though overcast, and the first time I'd been there since maybe November.  6 (I think) pistol bays, rifle 100 yard and 200 yard ranges, and a shotgun range.  I was the only one there for most of my time there.  

(The trash bin was topped off by a bunch of Remington 9mm FMJ boxes, priced at $24 each.   :'( .  On the plus side, someone was rich enough to leave a whole box worth of shiny new once fired .45 ACP brass, just lying there.  <Gollum>Preciouss</Gollum>)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:39:57 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »
You will accept my anecdote as data, and like it.  :mad:  =)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 03:39:31 PM »
I can shoot anytime I like without waiting at my own "range" in the coulee out back of the house, but I haven't been using up any ammo lately.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »
If by "we" you mean "these united states" and by "winning" you mean "becoming more divided" then I agree with you; we are winning.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine