Author Topic: Huckabee uses influence to help out his sicko son...  (Read 8272 times)

Tecumseh

• friend
Huckabee uses influence to help out his sicko son...
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »
This guy is scary.  Helping his son to get away with torture of animals a says quite a bit about how he feels he should use his power.

CAMPAIGN 2008
A Sons Past Deeds Come Back To Bite Huckabee
By Michael Isikoff and Holly Bailey | NEWSWEEK
Dec 24, 2007 Issue | Updated: 2:51  p.m. ET Dec 15, 2007

As Mike Huckabee gains in the polls, the former Arkansas governor is finding that his record in office is getting more scrutiny. One issue likely to get attention is his handling of a sensitive family matter: allegations that one of his sons was involved in the hanging of a stray dog at a Boy Scout camp in 1998. The incident led to the dismissal of David Huckabee, then 17, from his job as a counselor at Camp Pioneer in Hatfield, Ark. It also prompted the local prosecuting attorney bombarded with complaints generated by a national animal-rights groupto write a letter to the Arkansas state police seeking help investigating whether David and another teenager had violated state animal-cruelty laws. The state police never granted the request, and no charges were ever filed. But John Bailey, then the director of Arkansas's state police, tells NEWSWEEK that Governor Huckabee's chief of staff and personal lawyer both leaned on him to write a letter officially denying the local prosecutor's request. Bailey, a career officer who had been appointed chief by Huckabee's Democratic predecessor, said he viewed the lawyer's intervention as improper and terminated the conversation. Seven months later, he was called into Huckabee's office and fired. "I've lost confidence in your ability to do your job," Bailey says Huckabee told him. One reason Huckabee cited was "I couldn't get you to help me with my son when I had that problem," according to Bailey. "Without question, [Huckabee] was making a conscious attempt to keep the state police from investigating his son," says I. C. Smith, the former FBI chief in Little Rock, who worked closely with Bailey and called him a "courageous" and "very solid" professional.

Huckabee called Bailey's account "totally untrue" and described him as a "bitter" exemployee. "I asked him to resign because he had so alienated the entire state police," he said. "It had nothing to do with my son." Brenda Turner, Huckabee's then chief of staff, and Kevin Crass, the Huckabee family lawyer, also disputed Bailey's account, although both acknowledged talking to him about the dog killing. "I asked him, 'Is it normal for the state police to & investigate something that happened at a Boy Scout camp?' " Turner says. "We wanted the same treatment that anybody else would get." (Animal cruelty in Arkansas is a misdemeanor, not a felony.)

The details of the incident remain murky. The Animal Legal Defense Fund got an anonymous fax that summer alleging that David Huckabee and another youth had been involved in the hanging of a stray dog at the camp on July 11. A local animal-rights activist, Joyce Hillard, later contacted the camp director. Notes of Hillard's report to the defense fund read, "Boys confessed & were fired. Dir. is making excuses, saying dog was sic & boys were putting him out of his misery." (The director told NEWSWEEK only that a stray dog was "put down" and that the counselors were fired for violating the Scout credo to be "kind.") The father of the other counselor was quoted by the Arkansas Democrat Gazette in August 1998 as saying that his son found the dog "hung over a limb and choking." David Huckabee did not respond to requests for comment. (In April of this year, he was arrestedand paid a finewhen he forgot to remove a loaded gun from his carry-on luggage at Little Rock airport.) His father told NEWSWEEK that his son did not engage in "intentional torture." "There was a dog that apparently had mange and was absolutely, I guess, emaciated." A campaign official says David "regrets" the incident and notes that he later made Eagle Scout.

? 2007 Newsweek, Inc.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/78241

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
Re: Huckabee uses influence to help out his sicko son...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
This guy is scary.  Helping his son to get away with torture of animals a says quite a bit about how he feels he should use his power.

Well, as usual, it IS the seriousness of the allegations that count, right?

Honestly, I have enough reasons to disagree with Huck on policy issues.  Hit pieces I can do without, thanks.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:39 PM »
How does this make him different from the other Presidential candidates?  Huh?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
  I have not heard of the other candidates using their influence to help their children escape trouble.  Here is another link about him letting a rapist go free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALxUx6SkWA

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
While I have no great love for Mr. Huckabee, you forgot one word in your introduction.

ALLEGEDLY.

As in "ALLEGEDLY Helping his son to get away with torture of animals..."

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »
  I have not heard of the other candidates using their influence to help their children escape trouble. 

You haven't heard of the other candidates using their influence to help out friends and family?  The way of the world, sadly.   sad

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:00:23 PM »
From what I understand, the situation described was blown out of proportion.  In any case, this is not THE reason not to elect Huckabee.

THIS IS

Quote from: Huckabee
"[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:04:22 AM »
I'm surprised at you fistful.

You should know that Ron Paul would NEVER use his influence to help a friend or member of his family...

Because he doesn't have any...  laugh
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 05:03:59 AM »
Man...you guys have a bigger hangup with Ron Paul than Tecumseh does with Baby Jesus.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 05:57:54 AM »
Man...you guys have a bigger hangup with Ron Paul than Tecumseh does with Baby Jesus.

Oh?

Go find a thread by me that indicates that I have a hangup about Ron Paul.

I'll give you a hint, you won't be able to no matter how hard you work at it.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 07:00:47 AM »
How about three posts up where you brought him up to sarcastically degrade him in a thread that has nothing to do with him?

I just mean many of you guys bring him up to degrade him/ the "paulians" every chance you can get.  It's very reminiscent of Tecumseh bringing up his good christian upbringing every chance he can get.  You guys all seem to dislike Tecumseh greatly because of this, and I just find it amusing that you are acting the same way.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 07:18:52 AM »
Apparently Ron Paul's supporters don't recognize a sense of humor when they see one.

And three posts out of nearly 7,700 at this point. You're right, that shows a MASSIVE bias on my part against Ron Paul and his thundering herds of supporters...

If you had a contextual reference to those quotes (which I'll admit, you're new here, so you don't), you'd realize that I'm not "sarcastically degrading" Ron Paul with those posts.

I'm sarcastically degrading claims made by some of his shrillest supporters on this forum.

My favorite, of course, was that Ron Paul wasn't showing well in the pre-primary polling because pollsters don't hit cell phones, and Mr. Paul's supporters by and large are cell phone-only users, so when primary time came around we'd be seeing FAR larger numbers for Mr. Paul that what ZogDixGal was showing.

Yeah.  rolleyes

So, hold on to your socks, I'm going to make another scathing, cutting debasement of Mr. Paul that will only go to prove the depths of my issues with him...

His levels of support in the 4 primary elections have shown one trend -- down -- and his support levels in the caucuses aren't exactly stable.

He's not a viable candidate, and he's not viable Presidential material. Ergo, his ability to influence this election is nonexistent.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 07:41:40 AM »
You should know that Ron Paul would NEVER use his influence to help a friend or member of his family...

Well, as a rule I don't trust politicians.  But Ron Paul seems like the idealistic sort that wouldn't do such things.  Wish I could vote for him.   sad

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 08:42:26 AM »
  I have not heard of the other candidates using their influence to help their children escape trouble.

Hello?  I'd be willing to be dollar to donuts that the particular candidates running today have done so.  Barring other investigative

Google the following folks:
Al Gore's (former VP nad former POTUS candidate) son.
Just about every Kennedy. (One former POTUS and two POTUS candidates in the bunch)
GHWB's son Niel. (Former POTUS)

I could go on, but rest assured that wealthy and influential folks do their best to get their family outta truble.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »
He's not a viable candidate, and he's not viable Presidential material. Ergo, his ability to influence this election is nonexistent.
  Why isn't he presidential material?

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »

Hello?  I'd be willing to be dollar to donuts that the particular candidates running today have done so.  Barring other investigative

Google the following folks:
Al Gore's (former VP nad former POTUS candidate) son.
Just about every Kennedy. (One former POTUS and two POTUS candidates in the bunch)
GHWB's son Niel. (Former POTUS)

I could go on, but rest assured that wealthy and influential folks do their best to get their family outta truble.

Well I'll be...

What about Ron Paul?  Where is the scandal there?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
Bailey, a career officer who had been appointed chief by Huckabee's Democratic predecessor, said he viewed the lawyer's intervention as improper and terminated the conversation. Seven months later, he was called into Huckabee's office and fired. "I've lost confidence in your ability to do your job," Bailey says Huckabee told him. One reason Huckabee cited was "I couldn't get you to help me with my son when I had that problem," according to Bailey.
So he's fired for not participating in a cover-up involving the governor's son . . . and he stays quiet about it for almost a decade?

I'm not a Huckabee fan, but there's something fishy about this whole thing. Next thing, we'll hear Huckabee's son was a frequent visitor of Michael Vick . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »
Why?

Fistful touched on it.

Idealistic. In fact, uncompromisingly idealistic.

Idealism might work if you're a dictator, but as an elected president not tightly affiliated to either party?

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 10:36:35 AM »

So, this is where we set the bar at?

Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 11:48:13 AM »
Why?

Fistful touched on it.

Idealistic. In fact, uncompromisingly idealistic.

Idealism might work if you're a dictator, but as an elected president not tightly affiliated to either party?
So then you are ok with compromises on some things like 2nd Amendment issues?  Perhaps no CCW or handguns.  Its a compromise that we may have to make.  What about no semi-automatic firearms as a compromise.  Cannot let our ideals get in the way when we need to make compromises.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »
Mike:  I wasn't debating whether Paul was a viable candidate.  I just thought you came out of left field in bringing him up, and have been seeing that coming up a lot in multiple threads, not just by you, not even mainly by you.  But it seems to be a rather passionate subject for folks and seems to spring up out of nowhere.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »

Well, as a rule I don't trust politicians.  But Ron Paul seems like the idealistic sort that wouldn't do such things.  Wish I could vote for him.   sad

What.....did one of the things we blamed you for result in a felony conviction?......you can vote for him if you want....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »

What.....did one of the things we blamed you for result in a felony conviction?......you can vote for him if you want....

I could vote for him if he didn't have a head-in-sand foreign policy.  I could vote for him if he would even care about winning, rather than playing a childish little game of "I can do whatever I want, and I don't care what nobody thinks."  That is, his decision to keep the White Power money. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »
"So then you are ok with compromises on some things like 2nd Amendment issues?  Perhaps no CCW or handguns.  Its a compromise that we may have to make.  What about no semi-automatic firearms as a compromise.  Cannot let our ideals get in the way when we need to make compromises."

Don't hurt yourself leaping to conclusions. The ugly truth is not even the Framers viewed the items enumerated in the Bill of Rights as untouchable absolutes.

And anyone who has any inkling at all as to how Congress works should well understand that the quickest way to lose all hope for support on any issue is to draw an absolute line in the sand.

Sure, you can hold your head high and say "Well I never compromise!" and yet you end up losing far more in the end.

As I said, idealism is a great trait for a dictator. In a system where no one person or group has absolute control? It's a sure means of handing an ever increasing amount of control over to your opponents.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 01:59:14 AM »

So, this is where we set the bar at? 

Who said that?  The bar is set at no corruption at all.  But how many politicians, especially those ambitious enough to attain the presidency, do you think really meet that standard?