Author Topic: Clinton Health Plan may mean Wage Garnishments...  (Read 8236 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Clinton Health Plan may mean Wage Garnishments...
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:16:16 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080203/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_rdp_31

By CHARLES BABINGTON, Associated Press WriterSun Feb 3, 11:40 AM ET

Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton said Sunday she might be willing to garnish the wages of workers who refuse to buy health insurance to achieve coverage for all Americans.

The New York senator has criticized presidential rival Barack Obama for pushing a health plan that would not require universal coverage. Clinton has not always specified the enforcement measures she would embrace, but when pressed on ABC's "This Week," she said: "I think there are a number of mechanisms" that are possible, including "going after people's wages, automatic enrollment."

Clinton said such measures would apply only to workers who can afford health coverage but refuse to buy it, which puts undue pressure on hospitals and emergency rooms. With her proposals for subsidies, she said, "it will be affordable for everyone."

Clinton also suggested that Obama would be more susceptible to Republican attack ads in a general election because he has not been scrutinized for years as she has.

"I've been through the Republican attacks over and over again," she said. When Obama was elected to the Senate from Illinois in 2004, she said, he "didn't face anyone who ran attack ads" comparable to those aimed at her.

The presidential contenders in both parties campaigned all-out on Sunday, two days before the Super Tuesday voting in 24 states holding primaries or caucuses.

Clinton was campaigning in Missouri and Minneapolis. Obama scheduled a rally in Wilmington, Del., while some of his highest-profile surrogates  his wife, Michelle, Oprah Winfrey and Caroline Kennedy  were rallying voters in Los Angeles. Among Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain was stumping in Connecticut and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney scheduled stops in Glen Ellyn, Ill., and the St. Louis suburb of Maryland Heights. Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee was concentrating on the South, with appearances in Georgia and Tennessee.

McCain told "Fox News Sunday" he would veto any tax increase passed by a Democratic-controlled Congress. McCain, who opposed President Bush's first two tax cuts, now says Congress should make the reductions permanent, and that there also should be further tax reductions for business investments.

His chief rival, Romney, told the ABC program that McCain "doesn't understand the economy" and that his advocacy of a higher gasoline tax to combat global warming would hurt U.S. consumers.

Romney also called on Huckabee to drop from the race. In response, called the suggestion "ludicrous," noting that only a fraction of the delegates needed to win the Republican presidential nomination had been apportioned thus far.

"I've got a different take on that. I think it's time for Mitt Romney to step aside," Huckabee said on CNN.

I don't know how else to say this, so I'll just say it. Keep your filthy disgusting statist hands out of my paycheck.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Clinton Health Plan may mean Wage Garnishments...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:24:04 PM »
"They don't buy health insurance because they can't afford it."

"So take more of their money."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:59:52 AM »
You mean we'll still be left money to garnish?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »
"They don't buy health insurance because they can't afford it."

"So take more of their money."

That "logic" caused my brain to shutdown for a couple seconds to prevent damage.  I swear, some kinds of stupidity is physically painful to hear.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:46:55 AM »
They're all willing to swap the nation for votes.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 04:18:12 AM »
I usually stay pretty calm no matter...

This has got me hot. angry

Keep your filthy disgusting statist hands out of my paycheck.

Couldn't have said it better.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 06:07:04 AM »
I don't how this differs at all from the plan Romney put into law in MA.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 06:32:46 AM »

Well, this one would irritate an additional 49 states. Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 06:44:48 AM »
Luckily, I view Romney and Clinton with equal disgust.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 06:50:02 AM »
The one in MA is typical illogic. Only law-abiding legal citizens need to pay for the mandatory insurance. Illegals, of course, don't, but they can and do still clog up the emergency rooms for minor maladies and can't be turned away.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 06:52:21 AM »
Does this mean Shrillery is going to garnish my medicare to give me health care?  chris3

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 06:52:34 AM »
Hmmm, my response would be to declare myself an illegal alien and thus be immune to all Clinton schemes.

Plus I would be treated like a hero by Big Media. angel
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 07:09:41 AM »

Well, this one would irritate an additional 49 states. Tongue

Something tells me the governor of Montana would tell the feds to go pound sand if this happened.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:16:56 AM »
she said: "I think there are a number of mechanisms" that are possible, including "going after people's wages, automatic enrollment."

how does this differ from the current garnishing system (taxes)?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 08:24:49 AM »
Get use to it, ladies!  We will have national health insurance.  Our corporate betters have decided and their politicians will respond.  Just give it time.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 08:53:02 AM »
On a side note, love the new avatar Waitone -- there are days I can SO relate.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 11:19:56 AM »
Yes, corporations want to shift the cost to the government (the taxpayers), but that does not mean I have to like it. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 11:22:48 AM »
Couldn't we spend the money that we are spending on Iraq on this?  What was it, $611 billion dollars?  I don't want to pay taxes anymore if they are going to further put money in rich oil mans pockets or rich healthcare administrators pockets.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »
I'm surprised they didn't pass it in the form of an increase in the minimum wage - If the work doesn't provide healthcare, it has to provide, say, $1/hour for the employee to purchase private healthcare.  If he or she doesn't, THEN the government takes it as a form of mandatory 'emergency care' insurance.

It would also be part of the penalties assessed any employer found to be hiring illegals, under the table, etc...

$1/hour would equal ~$2k a year.

Some checking revealed that 'average' expenses per employee was $2-3k per year, so it should work out...

Like any of my grand schemes, it could vary by a bit - $1 could end up being $1.50 or something.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 05:04:59 AM »
I'd like to know how Hillary plans to get all the States to legislate to accept federal jurisdiction over State territory to extract mandatory medical insurance from wages. Unless it is coded as a tax the federal tax court will have no jurisdiction to enforce it or garnish wages.

I am not a Federal employee - nor do I live or work on any Federal property.

--------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org/oldindex.html
http://www.gtr5.com
http://ssunitedstates.org

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 06:38:09 AM »
Couldn't we spend the money that we are spending on Iraq on this?  What was it, $611 billion dollars?  I don't want to pay taxes anymore if they are going to further put money in rich oil mans pockets or rich healthcare administrators pockets

Why should I have to pay for someone else's healthcare? 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »
Couldn't we spend the money that we are spending on Iraq on this?  What was it, $611 billion dollars?  I don't want to pay taxes anymore if they are going to further put money in rich oil mans pockets or rich healthcare administrators pockets

Why should I have to pay for some other country's liberation?......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »

Because the citizens of your country, through their duly elected representatives, deemed it necessary.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »

Why should I have to pay for someone else's laziness?
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 04:52:58 PM »

Because the citizens of your country, through their duly elected representatives, deemed it necessary.

Right, 'cause two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner ends well for everyone.
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.