Author Topic: Mitt #@$% Romney has called me  (Read 16640 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: Mitt #@$% Romney has called me
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2008, 12:00:04 PM »
Well, you've both given your exclusivist opinions, however neither of you has explained why those opinions are at variance with a number of states open primaries.  IOW, those states political parties don't agree with you.
It ain't exclusivist.  The fact is that you didn't bother to learn the rules and abide by them.  You could have registered as a Republican and done whatever else was required of you before voting in the Republican primary, but you didn't.  Naturally they didn't let you vote.  That doesn't mean they were being exclusivist, it means you were too stupid (or perhaps too arrogant) to know how to vote in your own primary. 

Each state's Party is free to decide, on its own, how it wants to select the delegates it will send to the national Party convention.  Some choose to hold open elections, some choose to hold closed elections, some choose to hold caucuses.  This is the way things are supposed to work in a free society. 

Paddy

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »
You could have registered as a Republican and done whatever else was required of you before voting in the Republican primary, but you didn't.

Actually, I re-registered just before the election, from Republican to 'Decline to State'.  After 8 years of George Bush and the current crop of 'Republicans', I'd had enough and no longer wanted to be affiliated with them.  I did, however vote.  I was offered either a Democrat or an Independent ballot.  I voted on the Democrat ballot.  Had I been offered a Republican ballot, I would have voted for Romney over McCain for a variety of reasons.

Apparently, though, the California Republican party doesn't want me to exercise my full electoral rights unless I meet their arbitrary requirements.

keeleon

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »
I agree with you completely Riley, and the same thing happened to me.  I understand why they are allowed to get away with it now, but that doesn't make it fair.  If the Republicans let anyone pick their candidate, then it could be full of mischeivious votes for someone unelectable by "the other side".  Basically, it's not the governemtn asking you who should run , it's the republican party asking you you who you feel best represents republicans.  Personally, I think it's a waste of tax dollars, because if the Republican party is a private organization (which is fine) then they shouldn't be able to use tax dollars to find out who the "republicans" like. 

I am registered as an independent, because I don't like to "label" myself and pin myself down to one group.  I vote on the issues and the people who I most agree with, like an intelligent person.  The real problem with this system is that there are SOO many people who do vote only for their party, just because that is their party, that a non partisan candidate DOES NOT STAND A CHANCE.  It always comes down to Republican vs. Democrat because there are just too many ignorant people that don't know any better but to vote for the side they are registered with.  So, it's easy for you to say "Just vote for Romney or Paul" during the election, but the fact is, without the official "nomination" they cannot win.  I would much prefer that Romney win over McCain, but because of the unfair way the system is set up, I don't get to make that choice.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2008, 02:41:06 PM »
Apparently, though, the California Republican party doesn't want me to exercise my full electoral rights unless I meet their arbitrary requirements.

Strictly speaking, voting in the primary is not your electoral right. The point of the primary is for parties to figure out whom to nominate. A voter's involvement in the nomination process is really up to the parties. By contrast, the general election is a completely different matter.

Also, New Hampshire showed that letting independents vote in a party's primary is not without downsides.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »
Personally, I think it's a waste of tax dollars, because if the Republican party is a private organization (which is fine) then they shouldn't be able to use tax dollars to find out who the "republicans" like.

And that's finally an objection that might hold a little water. 

But as for Riley's objections, a primary is not about electing someone to represent or rule you.  It is an internal, party matter, in which non-members have no "electoral rights."  They have every right to choose their nominee by drawing straws or gladiatorial combat, if they decided to do things that way. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2008, 03:59:51 AM »
They have every right to choose their nominee by drawing straws or gladiatorial combat, if they decided to do things that way.

Sold.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2008, 04:12:51 AM »
"President Nitro, the Russian Ambassador is on line 1."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

doc2rn

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2008, 05:36:56 AM »
I would rather vote Huckabee than McCain if I where a Rep. No matter what I would never vote for the pant suite wearing beagle. Her auto caller has called me 6Xs.