Author Topic: We're Doom-id  (Read 4927 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
We're Doom-id
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »
Were Doom-ided.

I spent Tuesday as an election judge.  My faith in humanity and the American people are gone, shattered, destroyed.  This country is going to hell in a handbasket at Mach 2 and the people are screaming Faster, Faster !!!

Morons.

The only thing dumber then some my fellow election judges were some of the voters.

My fellow Republican judge (an older, retired widow), is a rabidly anti-immigrant, Hillary supporter.  Of the two Democrat judges, one was a mathematically challenged Obama supporter. I had to keep her and the Hillary supporter separated all day. And then Joe, a naturalized immigrant works at a manufacturing company and also running his own ecommerce business.  Sharp, smart guy, he was as appalled by the goings-on as I was.  The Technical Judge (Chief) spent most of his time chatting up and trying to put I Voted stickers on the chests of female voters.

Heres the process:
The voters would approach Miss Xenophobes for Hillary and she would ask for their name.  She would then promptly look in wrong binder (We had five binders of Applications to Vote, broken down by last name  A-F, G-K, L-O, P-S, and T-Z.)  Once guided to the right binder, and once the voter pointed out the form with their name on it as she flipped past it, she would tear it out and hand it to them to sign.  She also had to given them little speech/instructions.  Previously the Election Commission pre-printed party affiliation on the ATV.  Nope, not this year, were going to challenge both the voters and the election judges.  Not only did they have to sign the form, but they also had to write in what ballot they were requesting at the top, Republican, Democrat, Green (as in the Green Party), or Non-Partisan.  This was way too much information for Miss Xeno to convey.  She could get Sign by the X part but the whole Write in your ballot type at the top, Republican, Democrat, Green or Non-Partisan. A Non-Partisan ballot does not have any candidates, only referenda on it caused circuit overload.  She could get to Republican and Democrat, without a problem, but often left out Green.  On several occasions she told voters to put Jewish, as if I care.  If she remembered Non-Partisan it came out as Independent.   

It quickly became my job to explain filling out the form to the voters.   Why, because I was station Two.  Once the voters had signed the form and indicated their ballot preference, my job was verify their address Is this your current address, Sir/Maam ? and that the signature almost, kinda, sorta, if you look at it from this angle, matches the one at the bottom of the form. I also had to check a list of all the registered voters.  If someone had voted early or requested an absentee ballot their name was in bold, so No voting for you today.  The election commission also had italicized the names people who needed to show two forms ID to vote.  Why?  I dont know, but thats what they wanted.  So if it said Two IDs required, two IDs is what I requested.  I only had one guy ask why.  Sir, I dont know why, youd have to call the election commission and ask them.  Yeah, it was a cop-out, I didnt care why they wanted two IDs and if I would have used the Bat Phone to call the Election Commission, Id almost bet the answer I would have gotten would be Because we said so.   They were dealing with enough stupid questions that day if our polling place was any indication, they didn't need mine.   

Having initialed off that the person standing in front me was who they claimed to be, I would tear off the receipt to give to the voter and direct them to Joe at the end of the table (station Four) to get their ballot, marker and instructions.  Joe quickly developed a standard block of instruction and had each voter on their merry way to a booth.  Only a couple of voters had to come back for clarification/further instruction.

Station Three was Obama-mama.  Her job was to also verify that the signatures matched, and initial off next to mine, basically saying that a judge from each party agrees that the signatures match. Needless to say at the end of the day over half the ATV's needed her initials. She was then to sequentially number them by party, writing that number the box in the upper right hand corner and then stack them on two hole metal fasteners, by party.   Periodically throughout the day we would ask her to add together the number of Democrat, Republican, Green and Non-Partisan applications and compare that to the number on the ballot counting machine.   A first she did fine, but once we hit triple digits, she was never closer to actual total by at least a hundred and change.  Then we would have to go back and correct the "almost" sequential numbers she had written in the box.  I ended up also doing the math, as I could do it in my head faster and more accurately then she could on her cell-phone (when she wasnt talking on it).   

Were not supposed to discuss politics.  I brought along some work and a book to read, for slow times.   Fastest way to make a voter walk through the door was for me to pick my book. *sigh*.   Miss Xeno and Obama-mama kept going after each others candidates.  The technical judge is a Republican and while he was not endorsing any particular candidate, was openly partisan and discussed politics with the voters.  If I had a nickel for every time I said People we cannot discuss politics, nor candidates, nor the parties. Id made a small fortune.  Joe, being a pretty smart guy, didn't say much.

Then there were the voters.   

The precinct were I served is mixed both racially and income-wise.  There are several apartment complexes.   They consisted of both young people/couples, just starting off on lifes journey along with low-income/government subsidized tenants. Theres also middle class homes in the precinct.   I only had two people misspell Republican and very few abbreviate it.   Other then Old, Ugly, Angry Divorcees now living in a cheap apartment with three cats because he dumped me for a hot young thing half his age after the kids were grown and Lesbians for Hillary, most voters requesting Democrat ballots put either a D or couldnt get past D-e-m-o  before asking how to spell Democrat.  Many of those that did struggle to get past the first two syllables on their own lost it in the home stretch, and some went well beyond by adding an extra E on the end or some form of ICTISCAL.   rolleyes

I never wanted a tazer more in my life.
Voter: Dont Taze Me, Bro !!! 
Me: Spell 'Democrat' correctly or ride the lightning!!!  police

We had to reject several voters.  Under Illinois law, if you moved within the thirty days prior to the election you can vote in your new precinct if you can prove your new address (utility bill/drivers license, lease or mortgage papers, etc) and sign an affidavit saying This is my new address.
Me: Sir/Maam, is this your correct address??
Voter: No, I moved from there several months/years ago.
Me:  Im sorry, but you cant vote today, youll have to re-register after the election at your new address.  Illinois does not have same-day registration.

Of course if this person was someone that Obama-mama felt would vote for her guy, then she would say something along the lines Why cant they vote here.  Theyre registered here ??  I would again have to open the Election Judges manual, show and then read her the law.  As written.  In English.  Again.  For the twenty-third time.   Most of these people had come from polling places near their new homes.  (We had one guy drive over twenty miles.)    So other polling places were sending people to vote in precincts they no longer reside in.  I have no idea if the other polling places were allowing these people to vote, but given the level of competence I saw around me, I bet quite a few did.   

Meanwhile Miss Xeno would be going on about The Problem with this county is too many immigrants., to the voter standing in line behind the problem voter, while the Technical Judge would be either trying to score with a voter old enough to be his daughter or discussing politics with Mr. Ihateourgovernorwithawhitehotpassion.

Were Doom-id.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: We're Doom-id
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:41:24 AM »
I keep saying that Idiocracy was too optimistic.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »
The only thing many people should be voting for is American Idol. They far too stupid to be entrusted with choosing the direction our government should take.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
Spell 'Democrat' correctly or ride the lightning!!!

grin Too funny.

But not the rest of the post...sad.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
Was it Adlai Stevenson who said "People get the government they deserve"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »
Regarding dumb people? Actual AP headline just now:

"Southern Residents Asses Tornado Damage"

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UKUT8O0&show_article=1&catnum=1

Sigh.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »
I was thinking my mother tried to help with some of that stuff when I was a kid.  I think she quit for similar reasons.  Same with some the women's groups/clubs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »

Sigh.

Okay that's the second good laugh I've gotten off this board today.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:42:38 AM »
Was it Adlai Stevenson who said "People get the government they deserve"

It was Jefferson that said "In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve."  

However, it was H.L Mencken that said:  "Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »

Hey scout?

All bad experiences and yucks aside, thank you for your work.  We need as many decent people involved in elections as possible.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 07:37:05 PM »
All bad experiences and yucks aside, thank you for your work.  We need as many decent people involved in elections as possible.

Yeah.  Half-way into your post, I was thinking I need to go and help out next time.  Later on down, I realized I wouldn't have the patience.   smiley

No, really, I should take a couple of vacation days and step up.  Thanks for the interesting post, too. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 08:15:25 PM »

Sigh.

Okay that's the second good laugh I've gotten off this board today.

And more!

From ABC, even...What is with this wave of stupid? Huh?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4253302
"CORRECTION: Torladoes in South kill at least 54 people"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 05:40:59 AM »
Thanks for volunteering.

I haven't had more than two drinks in a 24 hour period in years, but I think I would have to get good and lit up to walk through that vale of despair.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 07:41:03 AM »
And then Joe, a naturalized immigrant works at a manufacturing company and also running his own ecommerce business.  Sharp, smart guy, he was as appalled by the goings-on as I was.
Naturalized immigrants are among my favorite people to talk to, and be around.  They are smart, have common sense, and mind their own business.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 05:14:12 AM »
Naturalized immigrants are among my favorite people to talk to, and be around.  They are smart, have common sense, and mind their own business.

I concur.  I like them so much, I even keep one in my house.   grin

BrokenMa is a naturalized US Citizen of Bolivian origin.  She's got a far better grasp on rational thought than most people, and speaks better English than probably 80% of US citizens-by-birth.  She decided when she got here (at age 6) that she didn't want to be Bolivian-American, she wanted to be American, and she learned English so well she doesn't even have an accent.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »
Good for her! Although there is something remarkably secksie about a woman with an accent..... unless it's like an eastern European accent. Women who sound like a higher pitched Borat = opposite of secksie. [/shudders]
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

doc2rn

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 05:50:45 AM »
I guess we are lining up Jeff Foxworthy's next skit; poll sitter blues.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 08:30:57 AM »
I run into a handful of folks like the ones you described, scout, every single weekend.

"What does upper case mean?"

"Is the colon the one with the two dots?"

Even scarier, these folks are providing medical care to others... shocked

"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot