Author Topic: Is anyone familiar with any of these phones?  (Read 2096 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Is anyone familiar with any of these phones?
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »
My niece mentioned this unlimited plan offered by Walmart, and it sounds good. My Blackberry wouldn't work with it, though, so I'd have to get another phone. They offer a bunch of different options here.

I mostly use my Blackberry for talk, recording appointments, an alarm clock, some GPS, some web navigation, and once in awhile I'll use texting. I also have a gym app for it.

Any suggestions as to which of these would be a good phone?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Is anyone familiar with any of these phones?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
Galaxy SII is the only one I'd want of the bunch...

I understand your Luddite phone concerns, but there's really no avoiding it. Might as well give in and get something decent instead of buying again sooner than you planned. Even if it's just calls, texting, and  maps...
for now.

Even if you want to minimize cell data use, having a better phone even just for free  wi-fi at home and restaurants and such can't be underestimated. With your Web ventures and such, I think you'll want the capabilities sooner than later.

I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »
Even if you want to minimize cell data use, having a better phone even just for free  wi-fi at home and restaurants and such can't be underestimated. With your Web ventures and such, I think you'll want the capabilities sooner than later.

I use a cheap $20/mont walmart phone for text/phone and it even has a rudimentary browser in case I need a map or check my email on the road.
I spent $30 on a used android with a bad esn off ebay for apps and wifi use.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:27:14 PM »
AJ, I've used my Blackberry as a modem if necessary. It's not the fastest connection, but when the power is out...

I'll check it out.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »
Beware the "unlimited" plans at WM. Some of the phones they have advertised as "unlimited" are not actual smartphones in the sense we know them. They have rudimentary web browsing and capabilities. Kinda picture them as a smartphone's mildly retarded brother.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:40:55 PM »
Beware the "unlimited" plans at WM. Some of the phones they have advertised as "unlimited" are not actual smartphones in the sense we know them. They have rudimentary web browsing and capabilities. Kinda picture them as a smartphone's mildly retarded broth

+1 to that
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »
Can you elaborate on this rudimentariness?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »
Can you elaborate on this rudimentariness?

Do you remember back when cell phones first came out with web access? You know, you'd have an older type phone, like a flipphone, and it'd have an icon for internet? It was a crappy, limited way to get on the internet. it would be a big step down from your blackberry phone, I'd say.

I only discovered these differences when I was looking to upgrade to a smart phone earlier this year. WM and Verizon and other carriers were all advertising "Unlimited web and data for $50 a month" plans (which is about half of what I pay for 2 gig per month data service on a real smartphone). Did some shopping around and investigating and learned that these attractive plans were really for crippled phones. Yeah, you could still get on the internet and such but it would not have nearly the capabilities of a standard smartphone.

Now, I don't know anything about WM's current plans or whatever, but I'd automatically be prepared for one of these "smart phones" for a seemingly cheap pricer per month  to actually be a crappy limited smartphone vs. a full blown type.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Does the rudimentariness extend to GPS? I seldom use my Blackberry for internet access or GPS, but it's nice to have both available.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:45:47 AM »
Does the rudimentariness extend to GPS? I seldom use my Blackberry for internet access or GPS, but it's nice to have both available.

The GPS is only really useful with google maps, or google earth which needs net access to show the map unless you use another program/app that pre loads the info before you go.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 01:23:05 AM »
So, if I went with the Straighttalk offer, I'd really need  to get the $350 phone you're talking about to get the best internet access for maps? I kinda like the GPS if I get lost. Don't know if I like it for an extra $70 a month, though, which is how much more I'm paying for Sprint.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »
Used to have straight talk with smart phone before jumping to Sprint.

They do have legit smart phones, and they work like..well legit smart phones. Coverage was also generally good because they piggy back off other networks, and seem to jump to a stronger network then their default one when needed without issue.

Problem I had with them was a couple fold. Older phones, wife and I don't need the shiniest phones but we wanted newer then straight talk was offering. Call quality, in general, was not as good as better phones on the actual carriers network. And their "unlimited" plan isn't unlimited. It has an arbitrary cap that they refuse to disclose, giving different numbers to different people when they get cut off and call to complain. Their TOS says unspecific mumbo jumpo about normal use or some such. In short, if you stream music and such, your SOL&JWF. Also, tethering isn't even an option. Their CS makes Verizon look like polished professionals.

In short, their not a bad option if you want to go into the smart phone Android arena. But you'll be doing so on older phones, piggy backing onto another network with reduced quality, and subject to an arbitrary data cap they seem to make up as they go along.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 06:03:59 AM »
If you don't have any problems with Sprint, you might consider a Virgin Mobile phone, they use Sprints network, and the only cap is that they slow you down after 2.5gb/month. I'm posting this from the One V on the $35/month plan with no real gripes.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/htc-one-v-phone/features/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »
Earlier this year I did the Verizon $50 unlimited prepaid plan and picked a Samsung phone.  Meh.  It was cheap talking and texting compared to my previous plan, but that was the ONLY advantage.  The phone was a cheap, slow piece of crap.  I was constantly waiting for it to finish thinking.  Internet?  What internet.  It used a proprietary GUI that was, well, a step below basic.  As mentioned above it is about on par with an old flip-phone web interface, only slower and more frustrating.

Most prepaid services now offer a smartphone plane.  Verizon's is, iirc, $80 a month.  The nice thing about prepaid plans is the plan price IS the price.  Not the price plus fifteen or twenty bucks in govt mandated fees and taxes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
So, if I went with the Straighttalk offer, I'd really need  to get the $350 phone you're talking about to get the best internet access for maps? I kinda like the GPS if I get lost. Don't know if I like it for an extra $70 a month, though, which is how much more I'm paying for Sprint.

I've never really used any other mapping applications, but just like a computer where power processor, RAM, graphics makes a big difference. Especially if you ever want to do something like switch to the satellite/aerial view to try and find a particular building or whatnot. Or do stuff like pick linked names/numbers from the map, get them off the web, then poke the number into the dialer etc. where you're switching between two or three apps.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies. There's one thing I didn't mention that I absolutely need, and that's tethering ability. When I'm away from home and not near a WiFi hotspot, I tether my laptop to my Blackberry for connecting to the internet and email. It's not fast, but it works.

Do you know if any of these phones or plans discussed have that capability? If not, then I guess I'm stuck with Sprint.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies. There's one thing I didn't mention that I absolutely need, and that's tethering ability. When I'm away from home and not near a WiFi hotspot, I tether my laptop to my Blackberry for connecting to the internet and email. It's not fast, but it works.

Do you know if any of these phones or plans discussed have that capability? If not, then I guess I'm stuck with Sprint.

Most android phones will let you (in the er... "technical sense" of "let") tether with PDANet regardless of if you have a "tethering plan" or not. You need the paid version of the app to see SSL/HTTPS pages. Costs $15.95, and the paid part goes on the PC, not the phone.

All major brand smartphones (not counting Apple) have also all standardized on a USB A to micro-USB B cable, so you don't need anything special either. Even the wall-wart chargers are now just a USB port on the brick.
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
I can't really comment, because I have an unlimited data plan, but Samsung is known for its great manufacturing quality. My Galaxy S (first generation) has gotten dropped over 9000 times, and it still functions perfectly for me. Any visible scratches are on the body, not the screen.

On the other hand, there are some phones that carry both GPS and GLONASS, which gives a slight gain in navigation accuracy. (Motorola Razr, Galaxy Note, some others, but not Galaxy S2).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »
I have a USB to mini-USB right now that I use.

I checked reviews for both Straightalk as well as Sprint's Boost Mobile plan, which are essentially the same. They're pre-paid monthly, use Sprint and/or Verizon networks, and make their money primarily off the sale of the phones.

The coverage and transmission quality doesn't seem to be the same for some reason. People were complaining about weak signals, dropped calls and other problems, and really complaining about lack of customer service.

I think I'll hold off. I really can't have sub-par quality for talking with customers.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 02:49:37 PM »
You may consider looking into Ting Wireless as well. I'm going to be switching to them once I'm out of my current contract. They're a pre-paid carrier, use Sprint network.

The plans are a la carte by category (voice, data, text), and they refund if you use less than your current plan in a month, and if you go over they just bump you up to the next plan in that category for that month, rather than charging overage fees. BYOD (bring your own device) is in the works and should be an option soon (sans iPhone and Blackberry), or you can buy your device from them.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
Clockworkmod Tether works on most Android phones even when the carrier doesn't allow tethering, although you may have to download it and install it outside of the official channels.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
Bedlamite, I used Mobishark for tethering. It's a one-time fee for the app, rather than pay Sprint $35 a month for tethering.