Author Topic: Another California Democrat going to prison  (Read 1160 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Another California Democrat going to prison
« on: June 13, 2016, 08:43:06 PM »

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article83490162.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

In an agreement filed Monday by the United States Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles, Calderon admitted to undertaking official acts in return for jobs for his children, trips to Las Vegas and tens of thousands of dollars for him and his brother. Several of those payments were sent via the United States Postal Service.

In exchange, the U.S. attorney will seek no more than a five-year, 10-month prison sentence for the 58-year-old Democrat from Montebello, and drop the remaining charges against him.

The original 24-count indictment handed down in February 2014, which included bribery, money laundering and aiding in the filing of false tax returns, had a maximum statutory sentence of 396 years in federal prison. Calderon now faces up to 20 years’ imprisonment, three years’ probation and a $250,000 fine.

Seems that he got off easy, especially since Calderon will probably not have to serve the full sentence.  Nevertheless, it is some justice.

At this rate, the Bureau of Prisons will have to build a new wing just for California politicians.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Another California Democrat going to prison
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 09:40:39 PM »
So by the deal, he doesn't get a fine worth all the bribes he took?  I think he got off easy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »
So by the deal, he doesn't get a fine worth all the bribes he took?  I think he got off easy.

Yep.  The politicians usually do.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 08:15:07 AM »
Oh, and let's play the "what party is he!?" game.

If it weren't for the "highlights" that I assume an editor added, the word "Democrat" would not have appeared in the article. (And the "(D)" only appeared when talking about ANOTHER corrupt Democrat.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »
if they fill up the prisons, they just turn a bunch of 'em loose.  Jerry Brown might well just pardon this guy.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »
if they fill up the prisons, they just turn a bunch of 'em loose.  Jerry Brown might well just pardon this guy.

One nitpick: Calderon (and Leland Yee) were convicted under Federal law.  Brown couldn't pardon them if he wanted to.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 04:22:18 PM »
One nitpick: Calderon (and Leland Yee) were convicted under Federal law.  Brown couldn't pardon them if he wanted to.

Anybody else remember the final days of Clinton?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 09:35:10 AM »

and a valid nit to pick.  In that case, look for a pardon from barack hussein.  Heck, he just turned loose 42 crack dealers.