Author Topic: Now the F/A-18 is having oxygen problems  (Read 2030 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Now the F/A-18 is having oxygen problems
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/03/politics/f-18-pilots-oxygen-navy-boeing/index.html

"Since May 1, 2010, all models" of the F-18 "show steady, yearly increases in the number of physiological episodes," according to their testimony, which was first reported by Bloomberg ahead of last week's House Armed Services subcommittee hearing.

They also reported a growing number incidents involving pilots of Boeing's EA-18G Growler, an aircraft that specializes in jamming and disrupting various capabilities of enemy jets.

Seems that much of this can probably be traced to the age of the aircraft.  The Hornet has been around for a long time.

Why political?  Because the text in my browser tab reads ""Trump-supported fighter jet depriving pilots of oxygen."  So this is all Trump's fault.   ;/

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Now the F/A-18 is having oxygen problems
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »
Seems that much of this can probably be traced to the age of the aircraft.  The Hornet has been around for a long time.

It's also important to realize that they've probably upgraded the life support a number of times, if only to keep parts available and reduce the number of systems they have to support.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »
I heard Leah Gabriel talking about this on Mornings With Maria this morning. She said that her instructor pilot died from equipment failure hypoxia on a ferry to Key West. Apparently this has been an issue for quite a while ( the Gabriel reference is 2001, so well before Trump) that pilots have been griping about, apparently to deaf ears.

I still remember the videos of hypoxia training from ASTC school. My partner and I both thought we were squared away and rocking paddy cake. Then we watched the video of us in the chamber and in actuality, our hands were flying everywhere and we were laughing hysterically. I would not want to lose control like that behind an F-18 stick.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:53:26 PM »
I heard Leah Gabriel talking about this on Mornings With Maria this morning. She said that her instructor pilot died from equipment failure hypoxia on a ferry to Key West. Apparently this has been an issue for quite a while ( the Gabriel reference is 2001, so well before Trump) that pilots have been griping about, apparently to deaf ears.

I still remember the videos of hypoxia training from ASTC school. My partner and I both thought we were squared away and rocking paddy cake. Then we watched the video of us in the chamber and in actuality, our hands were flying everywhere and we were laughing hysterically. I would not want to lose control like that behind an F-18 stick.

Destin from Smarter Every Day did a pretty good video on hypoxia.

He goes into one of those chambers with an astronaut, and they have him take his O2 mask off. After a minute or so, they start telling him straight up "if you don't put on your mask, you'll die", but he couldn't do it. His brain just couldn't process it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 06:28:15 PM »
I will patiently wait for environmental people I know to tell the real cause. What I do know is that ECS  on hornets or pretty much any aircraft in the Navy are nightmares. I have been on enough troubleshooting goosechases to know that. ECS is environmental control systems, heat, cooling, cabin pressure, and oxygen. I will tell you that the absolute oldest hornets do not have this problem, I worked on them, F/A-18A+ and we used LOX. Save for a few random B variants all other hornets and supers use OBOGS, or onboard oxygen generation system. Tied into the ECS bleed air system like every other thing in the ECS. Take apart entire belly of aircraft is usually step one. I'm sure this will get figured out, root cause is most likely all the good enviro techs squeezed out of service and fifteen years of flying the crap out of them. The rest is media hit piece.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:19:19 PM »
What "green" technology was recently mandated by the Obama empire?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »
In WWII, our pilots and aircrews had working oxygen supplies. We've lost that tech.

In the 1960s, we could put men on the moon, and bring them back. We've not only lost THAT tech, but we can't even put men in orbit any more.

Progress!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
In WWII, our pilots and aircrews had working oxygen supplies. We've lost that tech.

In the 1960s, we could put men on the moon, and bring them back. We've not only lost THAT tech, but we can't even put men in orbit any more.

Progress!

Not so much lost,  as we had something that worked,  and instead of improving that,  they tried some BS "all purpose" fix to reinvent the wheel(F35).  Bet a shiny new F18 would be death on wings.  
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:53 PM »
It's also important to realize that they've probably upgraded the life support a number of times, if only to keep parts available and reduce the number of systems they have to support.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Do you even military Bro?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 10:46:26 PM »

Thereby violating the cardinal rule: "If it ain't broke -- don't fix it." (New and different =/= better)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
Thereby violating the cardinal rule: "If it ain't broke -- don't fix it." (New and different =/= better)
Maybe they adopted my employer's IT department motto: "If your computer ain't broke . . . we'll fix (or update) it until it is."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
Usually, "cheaper" is in there somewhere also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 12:07:38 PM »
Guess they are having problems with the T-45's also and pilots are refusing to fly them.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/04/navy-instructor-pilots-refusing-to-fly-over-safety-concerns-pences-son-affected.html
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
Six months ago, the Navy sent the T-45 and other jet squadrons Sorbent tubes to measure the air the pilots were breathing. After each flight, the tubes were sent to a lab in Maryland for analysis. After 1,500 flights worth of air samples, the results remain inconclusive.
They can't find someone with an on board analyzer they can fit in for temporary testing?  Seems to me they should be able to.  Basic meters for CO, CO2, and O2 are small and portable.  I have no idea what they have tried though.

Can bottled oxygen be put in as a backup?  Not sure if that is allowed or possible.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
I am not quite sure I understand what is happening.  I was trying to look up a definition of histotoxic hypoxia that is mentioned in the article.  I get definitions that offer no understanding at all.  I thought this was related to lack of oxygen at altitude, but it sounds like contaminants are thought to be the problem.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
From the T-45 article

In August, a flight instructor and his student were forced to eject near Kingsville, Texas, when they felt symptoms of hypoxia, crashing the multi-million dollar jet.  Both pilots ejected safely and were not seriously injured.

I am confused, eject because you felt hypoxic. I would bet the first step on the checklist is a rapid descent below 10K and then depressurize... not sure because I don't have a T45 manual but ejecting for an hypoxic episode seems a little severe. But once again, I wasn't there.

bob

eta: Just found out the T45 has an emergency O2 bottle (1800-2500psi) that will last 4-20 minutes. Makes ejecting even more perplexing to me. Wish I could find the accident report. ???

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »
If they were hypoxic they may not have been thinking clearly??
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams