Author Topic: "Stand your ground" in Ohio  (Read 1796 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"Stand your ground" in Ohio
« on: December 20, 2020, 11:10:07 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ohio-stand-your-ground-gun-bill-awaits-gov-dewines-decision

Question for our Ohio members: how likely is DeWine to sign this into law?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: "Stand your ground" in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 11:14:26 AM »
Not from Ohio, but the couple of other articles I read on it seem to indicate he's a firm "no".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 12:18:01 PM »
You look up the term "RINO" and the dictionary,  and you'll see a picture of that smug little *expletive deleted*it.

My money is on "no".
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
If he vetoes, does the Ohio legislature have enough votes to override?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »
If he vetoes, does the Ohio legislature have enough votes to override?

If they vote the exact same way again and if OH is 2/3 (66%) for an override it looks like they're a hair short at 62% unless I fudged the math
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »
He will veto, and they can't override. 

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 08:52:01 PM »
He’s more worried about “common sense gun laws” after the Dayton shooting. Not sure why he has issues with stand your ground though.  I’d guess he’ll veto only because he’s mad at some Republicans calling for his head on his Covid lockdown decisions

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 05:05:25 PM »
And in the shocking news of the day, I just heard DeWine signed it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »
And in the shocking news of the day, I just heard DeWine signed it.

yep

Gun rights groups happy as Gov. Mike DeWine signs 'stand your ground' legislation into law
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/politics/state/2021/01/04/ohio-gov-mike-dewine-acts-on-stand-your-ground-bill/4008228001/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 06:04:17 PM »
Sounds like a deal was made.  I'll sign it if you pass the controls I want later.

A "handful of Republicans" voted against it.

I'll bet they're all from big cities.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 06:15:07 PM »
When we had Jennifer Granholm ()Jenny In The Block) as our governor commissar, she actually signed the Stand Your Ground law, the No Retreat Law and Shall Issue for CCW.  I believe those were the only 3 laws she signed that actually were for the benefit of Michiganders.  Every other thing she did was influenced by the Commie Manifesto.  We now have Commissar Whitmer, Jenny In The Block's clone.  Whitmer would tear up those 3 laws in a celebration on the steps of the capitol in Lansing.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 06:37:44 PM »
From the news article link above

But in a statement posted on social media after DeWine announced the signing, Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley said, “I can’t express my level of disappointment. Gov. DeWine came to our city and stood on stage for a vigil for our murdered friends and neighbors and then told us he stood with our community in our fight against gun violence. Now it seems he does not. Gov. DeWine has made clear he opposes this dangerous policy, but he once again folded to the extreme elements of his own party.”

Standing up to criminals is "extreme".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 06:56:45 PM »
Whaley is the worst mayor ever! 

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 06:58:38 PM »
“I have always believed that it is vital that law-abiding citizens have the right to legally protect themselves when confronted with a life-threatening situation,” DeWine said in a released statement Monday afternoon. “While campaigning for governor, I expressed my support for removing the ambiguity in Ohio’s self-defense law, and Senate Bill 175 accomplishes this goal. That is why I have signed this bill today.”

First I heard of it from him

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 10:27:17 PM »
“I have always believed that it is vital that law-abiding citizens have the right to legally protect themselves when confronted with a life-threatening situation,” DeWine said in a released statement Monday afternoon. “While campaigning for governor, I expressed my support for removing the ambiguity in Ohio’s self-defense law, and Senate Bill 175 accomplishes this goal. That is why I have signed this bill today.”

First I heard of it from him

I'd love to know what that little bastard is playing at.  He's most certainly not a friend of this,  so why sign it?  Fear of an override?

Whatever,  I'll take a win.  As always,  we remain vigilant.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
I'd love to know what that little bastard is playing at.  He's most certainly not a friend of this,  so why sign it?  Fear of an override?

Whatever,  I'll take a win.  As always,  we remain vigilant.

Override fear or a backroom deal of not to try to recall/impeach him.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:47:36 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2021, 04:17:40 PM »
Sounds like a deal was made.  I'll sign it if you pass the controls I want later.

A "handful of Republicans" voted against it.

I'll bet they're all from big cities.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 03:59:07 PM »
I thought I would put this here as something DeWine signed.
https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/knife-rights-ohio-knife-law-reform-bill-signed/
Knife Rights’ Ohio Knife Law Reform Bill, SB 140, has been signed by Governor Mike DeWine.

SB 140 reforms Ohio knife law by making two separate substantive changes:

1. The ban on manufacture and sale of “switchblade,” “spring blade” and “gravity” knives is repealed;

2. It clears up the vague and confusing Ohio law regarding carry of ANY knife by defining a knife, razor or cutting instrument as a “deadly weapon” or “weapon” ONLY if it is used as a weapon. This would allow carrying any knife concealed under state law.

I am not sure how much #1 changes anything, but #2 might be good.  Hope they can follow up with knife preemption. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 05:00:57 PM »
I thought I would put this here as something DeWine signed.
https://kniferights.org/legislative-update/knife-rights-ohio-knife-law-reform-bill-signed/

I am not sure how much #1 changes anything, but #2 might be good.  Hope they can follow up with knife preemption. 

I believe #1 was used to jam up people.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.