Author Topic: Bill would require welfare recipients to do "volunteer" work  (Read 8443 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Bill would require welfare recipients to do "volunteer" work
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
In my state, SC, unemployment benefits recievers have to halfassedly look for a job and meet with a counseler on a regular basis. The other forms of welfare, no.
Sort of like here for unemployment benefits. Although officially, no halfassedness about it. Search for jobs, apply for anything that you're remotely qualified for, be prepared to move anywhere within the country or even anywhere inside the EU if absolutely necessary, the former presents a problem considering the lack of available apartments in Stockholm and Gothenburg, which unfortunatly happens to be where a majority of the jobs are available. Trying to find a place to live in either of those cities myself. Get in line and wait, or pay ridiculous amounts of money for a rental contract, which also happens to be illegal, but hey, everyone does it...

For the minimum welfare (the one that kicks in when you aren't qualified for unemployment benefits and in some other cases), you're still generally expected to look for employment.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 04:12:24 AM »
The urban myth of welfare queens is just that.

First of all, TANF only pays 90% of the federal poverty line (food stamps, Medicaid, and Section 8 Housing are supposed to make up the difference).  Second, the increase in grant amount stops at the 3rd kid - dropping more gets you no additional money and uses up more of what you get for free.  At one time there was "Work to Welfare" that made you go to job training and when your youngest started school you had to look for work - at least one interview per week.  Folks started interviewing for jobs they were obviously under-qualified for, as well as an industry of those who would sign off on the intereview card for a dollar or two without ever intending to hire anybody.  The program ended when someone finally realized it was not producing the desired results - perhaps the only example of a federal program doing so.

It is too bad that there are no longer "welfare/man in the home" checks allowed - while by far not my favorite activity there were a few incidents that gained widespread noteriety when the welfare recipient was prosecuted for welfare fraud.  Maybe the best was the young lady who met us at the door wearing nothing but a scowl and told us to come back in half an hour because she and her visitor would have to start all over again.  She was busted because we found two of his shirts hanging in the closet.

Those folks getting welfare and driving around in this year's Caddilac land yacht are obviously not playing by the rules.  It just seems nobody cares any more.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 02:35:35 PM »
Don't give them ideas.

The more recent 'problem' is 'food deserts.'
The liberal solution to that is going to be forced integration of poor into wealthier suburbs.

Former Cook County Board President was all over the "food desserts" issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOXOyI_ZWk
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 02:52:08 PM »

Mmmmm, I met quite a few when I was doing taxes this past year.  (EITC is mo' Free Money!!)   They had Section 8, a whole Passel of kids (that they brought with), talking to their friends on the latest IPhone, complaining about how they weren't getting the extra $$$ on their EBT card and how their live-in boyfriend/baby daddy was spending all his time playing video games and using her welfare $$ to put new rims on his ride.  Baby Daddy sometimes was there and they want to "divide" the kids so that each could claim EITC.  Both generally had "Self-Employed" jobs and absolutely no paperwork to prove that they did home daycare.  Like you know a licence from the state, cancelled checks, receipts, ledger, an Ad offering their service.  Or cab driver that did all cash, and magically just made enough to nail the peak of the EITC curve.  Some of the males worked at Temp jobs, until they managed to hit that EITC peak and then get unemployment.  The best ones were the one that also took a community college class or two to get some grant and then claim college costs to get that credit.   

And every single one drove a much nicer/new car than I did.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 02:53:22 PM »
Former Cook County Board President was all over the "food desserts" issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOXOyI_ZWk

Wow, just wow.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »
Those folks getting welfare and driving around in this year's Caddilac land yacht are obviously not playing by the rules.  It just seems nobody cares any more.

They are a valuable, steady voting bloc for a certain political party hence no one is going to dare to enforce the rules that they are breaking.

Bullshit. I've seen plenty of 'em just like Scout has.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
I think his point was that the welfare queens are committing fraud or other criminal activities, so it's not really a criticism of the system just of the wqay it's abused.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 09:32:01 PM »
And every single one drove a much nicer/new car than I did.

When I drive through the ghetto when commuting, I have the oldest car on the road that doesn't have gold rims or a neon paint job.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Levant

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »
Nope.  Get a job.  No welfare.  I am willing to go 6 months or a year before the last welfare check goes out but no longer.  Once it is done it's done.  Why should welfare recipients get money for doing something that will not be real work.  I guarantee you that if they're working for me they'll work harder than they do volunteering for the local community center - or they won't be working for me for more than 5 minutes.

Why should all these agencies that would get the volunteer labor, such as it would be, get labor paid for by my tax dollars?  More welfare.  Now we could get double the welfare out of our welfare dollars. 

Get a paying job.  Period.  Charities that offer real value - as determined by potential donors - will get donations of dollars and labor.

NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party