Author Topic: What if Democrats Threatened a Shutdown Over Gun Background Checks?  (Read 1645 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
 Well, here's an interesting statement. If the Republicans were smart, they would strongly encourage the Democrats to threaten a shutdown over "background checks that Americans want."  I think it would be a spectacular way to show just how phony baloney that "90% of Americans want background checks" mantra is.

Speaking on the floor after the House bill was tabled, Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., said the House Republicans aren't playing the game. There's more public support for stricter background checks for gun ownership than for repealing the Affordable Care Act, she said, but Democrats are not bringing the government to the brink of a shutdown over it. "What would everyone think on the other side of the aisle if we just decided, well, you know, we're going to shut down the government if you don't pass background checks on guns? It's what the American people want," she said. "That's not the way we legislate. That's not the constitutional framework our founding fathers put together. There would be outrage that we would try to shut down the government over background checks on guns."

http://www.govexec.com/oversight/2013/09/updates-congressional-action-shutdown-draws-near/71032/?oref=top-story
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: What if Democrats Threatened a Shutdown Over Gun Background Checks?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:27:42 PM »
Anything that shuts down fedguv is okay with me.  I'll happily put up with any perceived inconvenience about it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »
 [popcorn]  Political theater ....  :mad:

Dated, but still accurate

VVV
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:49:09 PM »
Ok, do it. LOL, can't do background checks, gov't closed! My state checks to the state police anyway, keep on selling. Private sellers would be hugely unimpacted.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:07:16 PM »
Why do the D's always get to set the narrative.  The R's aren't shutting down the goobermint, the D' are by refusing to negotiate on the budget, which by the way the D's have not produced for nearly 5 years.  Did the goobermint shut down 5 years ago and no one told us?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »
Ok, do it. LOL, can't do background checks, gov't closed! My state checks to the state police anyway, keep on selling. Private sellers would be hugely unimpacted.

Untrue.  If NICS is unresponsive, there's a default "go ahead and sell" clause after so many days.  A de facto mandatory waiting period for anyone without a CCW permit, sure.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »
Dear Sen McCaskill,

Bring it.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »
Untrue.  If NICS is unresponsive, there's a default "go ahead and sell" clause after so many days.  A de facto mandatory waiting period for anyone without a CCW permit, sure.

Like I need another gun  ;/ but I would almost like to try this out ...   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
Is ok.
As I understand it, if NICS doesn't disapprove a buyer in 48 (or is it 72?) hours, the transaction can go through.

Edit: oops AZ beat me to it...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama