Author Topic: Calling all Midwest agricultural experts  (Read 745 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Calling all Midwest agricultural experts
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:58:06 PM »
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/would-missouri-ballot-measure-benefit-family-farms-or-corporations/

What do we think of this?  I thought the diametrically-opposed predictions as to the impact of the law were interesting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Re: Calling all Midwest agricultural experts
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »
By no means an expert.I have spent lots of time paying attention to Greg Judy and Joel Salatin this year though.I believe we all need 40 acres and a mule.
The article is confusing.
They seem to be arguing that the proposal will do x and the opposite of x at the same time.Some slapping needs to be done in the Show Me state.This kind of sentence structure is horrible.

“It’s very basic,” Shoemyer said. “Do we want family farmers and our consumers in control of our food source or do we want to rely on foreign corporations to be controlling our food supply, (one in particular) who answers to a communist government, or do we want family farmers? You’re gonna vote "no if you want family farmers.”

Which seems contradicted by this;

[Proposed by the 97th General Assembly (First Regular Session) CCS#2 for SS for HCS HJR Nos. 11 & 7]

Official Ballot Title:

Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to ensure that the right of Missouri citizens to engage in agricultural production and ranching practices shall not be infringed?

The potential costs or savings to governmental entities are unknown, but likely limited unless the resolution leads to increased litigation costs and/or the loss of federal funding.

Fair Ballot Language:

A “yes” vote will amend the Missouri Constitution to guarantee the rights of Missourians to engage in farming and ranching practices, subject to any power given to local government under Article VI of the Missouri Constitution.

A “no” vote will not amend the Missouri Constitution regarding farming and ranching.

If passed, this measure will have no impact on taxes.
jeff w

I like onions!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Calling all Midwest agricultural experts
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »
Here's the amendment, itself.

Section 35. That agriculture which provides food, energy, health benefits, and security is the foundation and stabilizing force of Missouri's economy. To protect this vital sector of Missouri's economy, the right of farmers and ranchers to engage in farming and ranching practices shall be forever guaranteed in this state, subject to duly authorized powers, if any, conferred by article VI of the Constitution of Missouri.

Article VI deals with local government. I guess it looks alright, but I question why farmers should have this amendment, which leaves out truck-drivers, relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owners, milliners, and all the rest of us.

Onions!,

What you're seeing is a news story that presents two sides of a controversy. Each side argues that the other is Big Business. Since Big Business is evil, we all choose to give them all of our money, on a daily basis you have to vote against whichever position Big Business takes.

Oh, and the quotation you complained about is not quite as bad as it looks in your post. Maybe they did a little editing.

"You’re gonna vote ‘no’ if you want family farmers.”
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife