Author Topic: Obama needs our help!  (Read 2132 times)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Obama needs our help!
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:22:18 PM »
(CNN) -- President Obama on Thursday called on business leaders from the private sector to generate ideas that will "accelerate job creation" and stimulate investment in the United States.

"While I believe that government has a critical role in creating the conditions for economic growth, ultimately, true economic recovery is only going to come from the private sector," Obama told attendees of the at the White House Forum on Jobs and Economic Growth. More than 100 CEOs, small-business owners, business leaders, mayors and academics attended...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/12/03/obama.job.forum/index.html

Oh, oh! Pick me! How about stop doing stupid crap like threatening value added taxes in addition to income tax, raising minimum wage, threatening to bankrupt us all with health care. Further, big business is your best friend, not your populist punching bag. Create a tax and regulatory environment that encourages industry to not run overseas. While you're at it get rid of the initiative tax where self-employed people pay double social security. Or just get rid of SS completely, the business class are tired of being your tax collectors. Kill the income tax too, put in a national sales tax and we will have many more hours in the week to be productive. Business might pick up to the point we can hire some of those out of work tax prep geeks. Oh, one last thing Mr. President, stop illegal immigration, the businesses that play by the rules cannot compete with those that don't.

Somehow I doubt any of the preceding is in his playbook. How is it that I, non-college graduate I am, can see any one of my ideas would be better than his, but all his whiz kids can't see that? [Longeyes] Oh, that's right, they want America to fail.[/Longeyes]  ;)
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Obama needs our help!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:30:25 PM »
Isn't this the same Barack Obama who last year said he was the candidate who would create jobs and get the economy moving? You'd think he wouldn't have said that if he needed to ask how to do it.

Oh, that's right. He had experience as a community organizer, not a job and wealth creator. The latter works to develop a place where people get jobs, get paid, and create profits. The former comes around and shakes down the latter for money in exchange for not picketing his factory (or burning it down).

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:09:57 AM »
Isn't this the same Barack Obama who last year said he was the candidate who would create jobs and get the economy moving? You'd think he wouldn't have said that if he needed to ask how to do it.

The same guy who complained that Bush's team had screwed up on national defense, but then needs a year to figure out how many troops to send to Afghanistan?  That Obama?  He does seem to have that empty suit problem now and again. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:07:26 AM »
How is it that I, non-college graduate I am, can see any one of my ideas would be better than his, but all his whiz kids can't see that?

If you were a Marxist, you'd understand.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 08:10:43 AM »
Standing Wolf, as ever, gets right to the heart of the matter with the fewest words.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »
How is it that I, non-college graduate I am, can see any one of my ideas would be better than his, but all his whiz kids can't see that?

Our local talk show host was filling in for Rush today, and got into this area.

Like them or not, the people that Bush surrounded himself with were people of experience, with proven track records and credentials. Dick Cheney was liked as well as hated, but he knew Washington and how to get things done. Bush realized his own shortcomings and made sure he had competent people to make up for the shortcomings.

Obama has Hillary Clinton, whose experience is as a senator (with not much more tenure than Obama), Geithner (a tax cheat), Rahm Emmanuel (sole experience as hatchet man for the Chicago machine), and others who have nothing in the way of real-world experience. They've never even run a lemonade stand, but they thought their brilliance would make running the US a cinch.

These people are incompetent at best, and perhaps intentionally destructive at worst.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »
Round up the 15 + million illegals in the country. Ship them home.  There are however many milllions of jobs they are doing.  Plus, that is increased job security for ICE and DHS.  And, as a bonus, they ain't sending money back to El Salvador: It's staying here in the states stimulating the economy.
Next, build a real border wall.  From the Gulf to the Atlantic.  Think of all those union construction jobs!  
Leagalize and tax prostitution, gambling, and drugs. Moar jobs!
 [popcorn]

Besides, Obama already created and saved 3 million   2 million 1.5 million 640,000 a bunch of jobs!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:03:17 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »
Round up the 15 + million illegals in the country. Ship them home.  There are however many milllions of jobs they are doing.  Plus, that is increased job security for ICE and DHS.  And, as a bonus, they ain't sending money back to El Salvador:...

Then put the C.I.A to work De-corrupting Mexico's government. Then if we still have jobs left that "Americans don't want" and Mexico still has a surplus of cheap labor, allow (non bribing Mexican-officials) Mexicans to come in legally after having been checked out for a criminal history or communicable disease.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »
Hey, Mr. President!  Pick up the phone and call David Farr CEO of Emerson Electric.  He from back in your hood; well he used to be in your hood.  Seems he want to move his company most likely to China and he's fairly transparent as to  why. 
http://www.manufacturingnews.com/news/09/1117/EmersonElectric.html

Emerson Electric Votes With Its Feet, Saying The Goverment Is Destoying American Manufacturing

By Richard McCormack
richard@manufacturingnews.com

One of the country's most important industrial companies says the United States is not a good place to manufacture and it will continue moving its assets offshore.

The federal government is "doing everything in [its] manpower [and] capability to destroy U.S. manufacturing," says David Farr, chairman and CEO of Emerson Electric Co., in a presentation at the Baird 2009 Industrial Conference in Chicago Ill., on Nov. 11. In comments reported by Bloomberg, Farr added that companies will continue adding jobs in China and India because they are "places where people want the products and where the governments welcome you to actually do something. I am not going to hire anybody in the United States. I'm moving. They are doing everything possible to destroy jobs."

In his Powerpoint presentation available on the Emerson Electric Web site, Farr notes that the federal government is damaging prospects for U.S. economic growth with a $1.41 trillion federal deficit (10 percent of GDP); $12 trillion in government debt that will grow to $20 trillion in 10 years; a policy of printing money; a "non-targeted $800-billion stimulus"; bailouts for Wall Street and the automobile companies; the prospect for cap and trade legislation; a "government takeover" of health care to the tune of more than $1 trillion; increasing taxes and regulations; and a "lack of U.S. $ support" for manufacturing. The global stimulus "soon will fade," says Farr.

What does it mean for a company like Emerson? "We continue to increase our international and emerging market presence," says Farr. The company has increased its emerging market sales by 19 percentage points over the past 10 years, from 13 percent of total sales in 1999 to 32 percent in 2009. It is now generating 55 percent of its sales from overseas operations, a figure that will grow to 60 percent by 2014, with 40 percent of total sales coming from emerging markets.

"Emerson's investment in emerging markets is continuing to pay off with sales growth," say Farr. In 1999, the company generated $12.4 billion in annual sales from mature markets and $1.9 billion from emerging markets. By 2009, sales from mature markets grew to $14.2 billion, while sales from emerging markets more than tripled to $6.7 billion.

The company projects sales from mature markets in 2014 of between $16 billion and $17 billion, while emerging market sales will reach almost $12 billion.

Between 1999 and 2009 "73 percent of growth is from emerging markets!" Farr exclaims. "More than 60 percent of our growth is expected to come from emerging markets over the next five years so Emerson will continue to invest in these key markets."

In 2001, the company had 21 percent of its 360 manufacturing facilities located in "best cost countries." Today, Emerson has 250 manufacturing locations and 36 percent of them are in "best cost countries." That percentage is going to increase to more than 40 percent.

Emerson is following the money. Infrastructure investment in the United States now accounts for 21 percent of the global total of $12 trillion, down from 27 percent in 2004. Asia Pacific's share of global infrastructure investment has increased from 18 percent of the global total in 2004 to 27 percent in 2009. That number is expected to continue going up -- to 31 percent of global investment in 2014 and 37 percent in 2019.

The current recession has been destructive and the United States will have a hard time recovering, says Farr. U.S. job losses of 7.3 million to date are only slightly less than the total of the last four recessions combined (8 million). The current downturn is having a big impact on Emerson and its employees. The company has reduced its headcount by 15 percent. It has closed 55 facilities and has incurred $540 million in restructure expenses.

The 2001 recession was also tough on the company. It reduced its headcount by 14 percent, closed 75 facilities and incurred $437 million in restructuring expenses. "But the world did not change much," says the Emerson CEO. With the current recession, "there will be some fundamental changes going forward."

The company reported sales for its 2009 fiscal year ending in September of $21 billion, down from $25 billion in 2008 and $22 billion in 2007. It had an operating profit of $3.2 billion in 2009 (15 percent of sales).

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:03:29 AM »
Another comment I heard was to tell the President to stop trying to remake govt.  Companies don't like to hire people when they don't know what will be happening in a few years.  They want stability.  I imagine the entire medical industry is essentially on hold right now as far as hiring. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:22 PM »
Next, build a real border wall.  From the Gulf to the Atlantic.  

You mean from the Gulf to Pacfic, nicht wahr....

=D :angel:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 08:05:29 AM »

NOOOOOOO!  It's the Atlantic!   :P
Think twice, post once.....my brain knew what it was doing but my fingers punched out "Atlantic" anyways. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 05:46:32 PM »

Oh, yeah, sure.  According to those LIBERALS in the MEDIA!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife