Author Topic: Gore Lies Again  (Read 2366 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Gore Lies Again
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
I think even those (at least the scientists) inclined towards AGW are starting to find Gore a liability. I saw headlines all over the interwebz news last night that, "Global Ice Caps Gone in Five Years!". Can't find any of them today. In the words of Nelson, "HA HA". Gore should retire to his houseboat with the jet ski.

---------------
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhagen-climate-change-confe/6815470/Copenhagen-climate-summit-Al-Gore-condemned-over-Arctic-ice-melting-prediction.html

Copenhagen climate summit: Al Gore condemned over Arctic ice melting prediction
Al Gore, the former US Vice-President, has become embroiled in a climate change spin row after claiming that the Arctic could be completely ice-free within five years.

By Murray Wardrop
Published: 8:55AM GMT 15 Dec 2009
Al Gore
Al Gore Photo: AP

Speaking at the Copenhagen climate change summit, Mr Gore said new computer modelling suggests there is a 75 per cent chance of the entire polar ice cap melting during the summertime by 2014.

However, he faced embarrassment last night after Dr Wieslav Maslowski, the climatologist whose work the prediction was based on, refuted his claims.

Dr Maslowski, of the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, told The Times: “It’s unclear to me how this figure was arrived at.

“I would never try to estimate likelihood at anything as exact as this.”

The blunder follows the controversy over hacked emails from the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit, which sceptics claim suggest scientists manipulated data to strengthen their argument that global warming is man-made.

Mr Gore, who narrated the Oscar-winning climate change documentary An Inconvenient Truth, told the conference that record melting of Polar and Himalayan ice could deprive more than a billion people of access to clean water.

Alluding to Dr Maslowski’s work, he said: “These figures are fresh, I just got them yesterday.

"Some of the models suggest to Dr Maslowski that there is a 75 per cent chance that the entire polar ice cap during some of summer months could be completely ice free within five to seven years.

"There are more than a billion people on the planet who get more than half of their drinking water – many of them all of their drinking water – from the seasonal melting of snow melt and glacier ice."

His projection strongly contradicted forecasts made eight months ago by the US government agency that the ice cap may nearly vanish in the summer by 2030.

Dr Maslowki said that his latest results give a six-year projection for the melting of 80 per cent of the ice, but he said he expects some ice to remain beyond 2020.

He added: “I was very explicit that we were talking about near-ice-free conditions and not completely ice-free conditions in the northern ocean.”

Following Dr Maslowski’s comments, Mr Gore’s office later said the 75 per cent figure was one used by Dr Maslowksi as a “ballpark figure” several years ago in a conversation with Mr Gore.

Mr Gore’s speech also provoked criticism from leading members of the climate science community, who described the projection as “aggressive”.

Professor Jim Overland, a leading oceanographer at the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told The Times: “This is an exaggeration that opens the science up to criticism from sceptics.

“You really don’t need to exaggerate the changes in the Arctic.”

Mark Serreze, of the US National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado, said: “It's possible but not likely. We're sticking with 2030."

Average global temperatures have increased by 1.3F (0.74C) in the past century, but the mercury has risen at least twice as quickly in the Arctic.

Scientists say the make up of the frozen north polar sea has shifted significantly in recent years as much of the thick year-round ice has given way to thin seasonal ice.

In the summer of 2007, the Arctic ice cap dwindled to a record low minimum extent of 1.7 million square miles in September. The melting in 2008 and 2009 was not as extensive, but still ranked as the second and third greatest decreases on record.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Gore Lies Again
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
Well, Algore recently said that the Earth's core temperature is millions of degrees.

Millions of degrees.

And here, I only thought the temperature was thousands of degrees, but hey, if a Nobel Prize winner tells me I'm off by a factor of 1000, I HAVE to believe him, right? I mean, everybody else does . . .

Since there's apparently a star at the core of our planet, the heat was eventually going to rise to the surface. Good-by, Arctic ice.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »
Gore gets pwned by another 'inconvenient' truth.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:35:13 PM »
Well, Algore recently said that the Earth's core temperature is millions of degrees.

Millions of degrees.

And here, I only thought the temperature was thousands of degrees, but hey, if a Nobel Prize winner tells me I'm off by a factor of 1000, I HAVE to believe him, right? I mean, everybody else does . . .

Since there's apparently a star at the core of our planet, the heat was eventually going to rise to the surface. Good-by, Arctic ice.

Sad as it is Algore actually did something to "earn" his Nobel Prize, even though it was all a pack of lies meant more to line his pockets and dismanltle the US's industrial base. You can actually point at it and say "This is what he did".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »
Sad as it is Algore actually did something to "earn" his Nobel Prize, even though it was all a pack of lies meant more to line his pockets and dismanltle the US's industrial base. You can actually point at it and say "This is what he did".
As opposed to the hope that a more recent winner might change things for the better at some time in the future?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »
Yeah, 5 years is a terrible prediction.  Much too short a time frame.  People might not actually forget you said it by the time it doesn't come true.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:26:47 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/12/15/polar-bear-phil-jones/

Polar Bear Goes Hunting for Climate-Gate Scientist at Copenhagen Summit

Using a megaphone that pierced the rumble of hundreds of people gathered at the conference center housing Copenhagen's climate conference, a man dressed as a polar bear went looking for controversial scientist Phil Jones — but he was nowhere to be found.

To a chorus of boos, a man dressed as a polar bear entered Copenhagen's main conference center Tuesday and began paging the discredited climate scientist whose hacked e-mails sparked the Climate-Gate scandal.

Using a megaphone to pierce the rumble of hundreds gathered inside the Bella Center, which is hosting the city's global climate summit, the polar bear boomed out:

"PHIL JONES??? HAS ANYONE SEEN PHIL JONES???"

Jones, who stepped down from his leading academic post amid swirling scandal earlier this month, has reportedly skipped the climate conference entirely. But his shadow and his words could affect its outcome.

It was Jones who, in an e-mail to a colleague, wrote of using a "trick" to "hide the decline" of data indicating global warming from the 1980s and onward. That e-mail and thousands of others were posted online in November, and have since been taken as evidence by skeptics to claim global warming is a scam.

One of those skeptics was the man behind the bear suit: Phelim McAleer, a journalist and filmmaker who last year produced "Not Evil Just Wrong," which disputes many of the assertions made in former Vice President Al Gore's documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth."

McAleer, a persistent critic of Gore's film, frequently attends public events and venues to question and discuss the Nobel Prize-winner's position on environmental issues. McAleer has now turned his sights on Jones and the Climate-Gate scandal.

When asked about the motivation behind his protest, McAleer explained his vision of a future film, a Roger & Me for the climate change movement. "I wasn't getting anywhere with conventional attempts for an interview," he told FoxNews.com, "so I decided to use the environmentalist trick of dressing up as a polar bear to catch attention."

Theres a serious side to to McAleer's antics, of course. "Professor Jones has produced a lot of the IPCC's science and now he and the science is in question and he needs to answer some serious questions," he said. "They are suggesting massive changes to our way of life — therefore Professor Jones and his dubious methods should face hard questions."

Jones and others have come under intense fire since the hacked e-mails became public. Other climate researchers were revealed to have blackballed dissenting scientists and the journals that published them, planned to delete sensitive stores of climate data, and regretted aloud the "travesty" that temperatures had flattened out in the past decade.

Jones, a leading academic in the field of climatology, left his job as the director of the Climatic Research Unit at Britain's University of East Anglia pending an investigation into the e-mails. For years, he and his unit have sounded alarms about a pending climate catastrophe -- but now they are facing increasing scrutiny over their work, which was taken as gospel by many in the field.

The 57-year-old Jones has become a distraction to some but an embarrassment to others who believe climate change is real. While no one in the highly partisan crowd attacked the bear, one woman advised him to "get out of here now while you still can."

Just not before getting his picture snapped.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:34:40 PM »
"get out of here now while you still can."

Aren't these the "diversity and tolerance" people?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 12:06:54 AM »
Aren't these the "diversity and tolerance" people?

A large number of "diversity and tolerance" folks believe only their opinions are deserving of tolerance.  I recall Penn and Teller doing an episode on student diversity that got their guy physically threatened for opposing whatever the specific group was chanting about.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:48:44 AM »
"I wasn't getting anywhere with conventional attempts for an interview," he told FoxNews.com, "so I decided to use the environmentalist trick of dressing up as a polar bear to catch attention."

:) :)
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage