Author Topic: BusinessWeek article on sale of Freedom Group  (Read 1477 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: BusinessWeek article on sale of Freedom Group
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
He's a master of buzz-word bingo.

I'm still in the false flag operation camp.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »
He's a master of buzz-word bingo.

I'm still in the false flag operation camp.
Yep. Either a way to get electronically controlled guns on the market and make a large number of available firearms worthless, because there will be a backdoor. Or just a way to aquire them and shut them down, thus reducing supply.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »

From article:

"He’s right that from a purely technological standpoint, it’s odd that small arms by and large haven’t progressed beyond mechanisms anchored firmly in the 20th century."

Because of reliability and cost efficiency. Adding technology that drastically reduces reliability while increasing cost isn't going to win in the marketplace.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:26:51 PM »
From article:

"He’s right that from a purely technological standpoint, it’s odd that small arms by and large haven’t progressed beyond mechanisms anchored firmly in the 20th century."

Because of reliability and cost efficiency. Adding technology that drastically reduces reliability while increasing cost isn't going to win in the marketplace.

TRUTH...Ah excuse me Mr. Home Invader, can you wait a minute as I unlock my smart gun, with my key fob, so I can shoot you.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 04:18:14 PM »
Today e guns read an RFID or need a ring in close proximity. In ten years they'll be GPS equipped & will be able to report the DNA profile of the handler to a remote location to receive an OK to fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-31/the-man-bidding-to-buy-the-biggest-u-dot-s-dot-gun-maker-doesnt-own-one?google_editors_picks=true

So I am guessing that this is not a serious offer to acquire Freedom from Cerberus.

I strongly doubt Cerberus is going to sell to that lot.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
From article:

More importantly, leaving all the negatives to "smart gun" technology aside and saying there are NO reliability issues with new technologies for the sake of argument, the application of new modern technology, electronics, or materials science to firearms wouldn't give us any more function.

It won't shoot more bullets, it won't give us more capacity, it won't shoot them more accurately, nor with higher velocity or more force, and the one possible goal that modern technology could give us, lower weight, rapidly reaches a point of diminishing returns because of the negative impact ultra-low weight/mass has on recoil mitigation.

And the places where modern technology does give us advantages, or at least potential advantages, holographic sights, electronic video recording sights, thermal sights, night vision/light amplification sights, or integrated ballistic computing laser rangefinding scopes all already exist and those market segments are being exploited as we speak.

And people are still grinding away on the ammunition side too. The Etronix electric primers reduced lock time and pre-ignition shake of lock movement, but it wasn't enough of a gain to be worth it.  The Natec PCA spectrum, and the most recent attempt at polymer cased ammunition from PCP... still not ready.

Much work has been done, whole governments threw their weight behind caseless ammunition with the HK G-11 and Dynamit Nobel, it became good enough to be fielded just before the reunification of Germany, but they never completely fixed the cook-off problem to 100% satisfaction.

Unless you've got man-portable railguns, coilguns, or lasers that are as or more effective than current chemical projectile weapons, and Joe six-pack can afford them, there's really nothing "modern technology" has to bring to the firearms market, other than tiny incremental refinements in alloys, plastics, automated machining technology, corrosion resistance, coatings etc.

Nibbling around the edges that might improve the bottom line and the shooter's experience, but it's still just nibbling.
I promise not to duck.