Author Topic: Inexpensive handguns to buy person-to-person?  (Read 1609 times)

Inexpensive handguns to buy person-to-person?
« on: August 10, 2005, 11:30:53 AM »
What with eating, bills, and business investments, I can't really afford much. I'd like to purchase a handgun or two from someone in my area (can't do gunshops, not 21) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Here's a list of candidates, those I have extra confidence in are bolded:

Under 150

CZ-52
9mm Makarovs
Jimenez
(just to give the finger to 'brandons arms')
Cobra "FS 380" or "FS 32"
Cobra "CA 380" or "CA 32"
Star BM 9mm

EAA windicator
FEG Pa-63/AP-9 in .380
Hi-Points
Taurus .22 autos
Llamas

Arcus

and of course, moving out of the pricerange a tad:
Star Firestar
CZ-75

I know that some of those are 'crappy', but I've also heard grudgingly positive reviews of anything on the list. Probably if I look over it carefully I won't get a lemon.

What do you guys think? I'm hoping to spend only 70-130 or so to get a nice little plinker.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 12:31:45 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
WI'd like to purchase a handgun or two from someone in my area (can't do gunshops, not 21)
Is that legal?

I'd unbold the Llama and the Jimenez (both junk) and bold the Arcus (an excellent, inexpensive HighPower clone).

Actually I'd completely remove the Llama, Jimenez, Cobras and the Hi-Points from the list.

The problem with the Makarov and CZ-52 is that ammo may be difficult to come across locally ... and you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammo, so you'll have to have someone over 21 purchase all your ammo (which is more difficult to do via mailorder).

On that list (not counting the Firestar and CZ-75) I'd say the Arcus, the Star BM, or a Makarov (a Bulgarian or Russian Pistolet Makarova, not a PA63 or Polish P64) would be the top contenders.

Zundfolge

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 02:02:49 PM »
There are no 9x19 Maks out there, only 9x18 and 9x17.

Baikal experimented with a 9x19 Mak, but none made it into this country ... apparently there was a high failure rate (ouch).

Most mail order places aren't going to send you ammo if you're under 21 even if you have a carbine in that caliber ... local places will often sell to you if you tell them its not for a handgun (of course I don't know what legal issues you'd stur up by lying about where you're going to use the ammo).

I have a Bulgarian Makarov that I love ... fun gun to shoot ... potent enough caliber to use for self defense (although 9x19 would be better).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 02:06:04 PM »
Blackburn:

Work the legalities for your area.  We don't want anybody going to jail.  I am not a lawyer and I don't know the laws in your state.  A long gun might be hte way you have to go to stay legal.  In that case, the Rem 870 is the standard shotgun.

Of the weapons in the first group you mentioned, I would only risk my $$$ on the Makarov, CZ52, & FEG (if it is the Walther PP clone).  I have fired both Maks & the FEG & they are passable.  The CZ52 is bigger than the other two.  Most of the rest I would not trust as a paper weight.

Here's an alternative: a used .38spl K-frame S&W.  I saw one as low as $125 at a gun shop.  I saw NIB Hong Kong Police S&W M10 for $200.  Eventually, I intend to pick one of those puppies up.   The security guard turn-ins are usually beat to heck on the outside, but rarely fired.   Keep your eyes on the local classified ads for S&W revolvers being sold off and garage sales that mention gun sales.  I saw a nice blued S&W Chief's Special the other day at a garage sale.

Good luck & stay legal.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »
Sigh...

Unless there is a state law preventing it, there is nothing preventing him from FTF handgun transfers.

I have the Star BM.  Good little gun, compact 9mm.  I either have a tendency to limp wrist it, or need a new magazine though.  I think mag, because it loads hard.  Not something I can rely to save my life, until I get the problem solved, but getting it solved is not of high importance to me.

I can shoot the gun better than my Springfield GI, though.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 04:35:12 PM »
In my state you can't sell a handgun to a person under 21, your parents can certainly give you one though.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 05:51:12 PM »
The arcus on the list is a very good deal. My friend has one, he might chime in here, it's been good for him until recently. Now it's down with a broken extractor, and he's having a problem locating replacement parts.

The makarov is hard to fault, cz52 is cheap and a fun range gun but uses even funkier ammo than the mak. Star BM is a nice shooter but I've also seen one break some parts.