Author Topic: BA in Biomedical Sciences.....  (Read 777 times)

Avalanche2082

BA in Biomedical Sciences.....
« on: August 17, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »
I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend, they have a BA in Biomedical Sciences, they got the degree to go on the Pharmacy school, but can not finacially afford to right now. What are some jobs you can do with a degree like that, and what is the pay? My friend has experience being a Pharmacy Tech, and being an adjudicator for Pharmacies and medical Insurance companies. Right now they are only making $15 hour, and would like to just find a career  that will make $20 hour and up. Thanks for any suggestions

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: BA in Biomedical Sciences.....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
I work as an executive in healthcare administration, and I have to admit that depending on the college/university, an undergrad degree in biomedical science may not equip you to do much of anything.  It is a degree primarily designed for people looking to be admitted to medical, dental or pharmacy school, or who plan to go on for a research-based graduate degree in some aspect of human biology or medicine. 

Some of these programs do offer certain areas of emphasis, such as lab technology, cell biology and the like.  Does your friend have experience working in a clinical lab?  If so, a hospital or clinic lab may be a possibility.  Pharmacy techs are always in demand, but since there are so many of them, it is not the best-paying job, as your friend has found out.  If your friend works in an area of biotechnology companies, perhaps that is an option.  They are always looking for bottle washers, animal care and bench technicians.

Generally speaking, if your friend is looking for a healthcare job paying $ 20 per hour, these are usually found in more technical fields by people with degrees in those fields.  An example would be a radiology technician, who has a two year degree from a community college, and can probably start at $ 45 K or so, depending on the location. 

Please let us know if your friend has any specialized training or skills, and perhaps we can be of more help.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.