Author Topic: B-36?  (Read 2047 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
B-36?
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »
A clip from the movie "Strategic Air Command" starring Jimmy Stewart, even if you've seen it already it's still pretty cool. They called it, "six turning and four burning". According to the text that came with it the jet engines were used to assist takeoff. Not sure what they did with them once airborne.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/2008-4-18-B-36-SAC-Video.wmv

Oh yea, I have a cousin that flew on them as navigator in the 50's so I've heard a few stories.  :cool:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
Re: B-36?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_B-36

The propulsion system alone made the B-36 a very unusual aircraft. All B-36s featured six 28-cylinder Pratt & Whitney R-4360 'Wasp Major' radial engines. Even though the prototype R-4360s delivered a total of 18,000 hp (13 MW), early B-36s were slow and required long takeoff runs. The situation improved with later versions delivering 3,800 hp (2.8 MW) apiece.[23] Each engine drove an immense three-bladed propeller, 19 ft (5.8 m) in diameter, mounted in the pusher configuration. This unusual configuration prevented propeller turbulence from interfering with airflow over the wing, but also lead to chronic engine-overheating due to insufficient airflow around the engines, resulting in numerous in-flight engine fires.

Beginning with the B-36D, Convair added a pair of General Electric J47-19 jet engines suspended near the end of each wing; these were also retrofitted to all extant B-36Bs. Thus the B-36 came to have 10 engines ("six turnin' and four burnin' ", as said by American airmen), more than any other mass-produced aircraft. The jet pods greatly improved takeoff performance and dash speed over the target. In normal cruising flight, the jet engines were shut down to conserve fuel.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »
They have a B-36 at the USAF Museum at Wright-Patt AFB near Dayton, OH.  It is a monster.  If you have never gone to the USAF Museum, I would highly encourage a visit.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:09:05 PM »
numerous in-flight engine fires

I expect that would get rather annoying after a while.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:28:06 PM »

Especially annoying if the fire eats through the spars and other critical bits...like the problems the B-29s had.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »
Just a tad...  :lol:

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:44:33 AM »
My FIL used to build those before he got drafted for Korea.

Clem

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »
Ah, the Good Old Days. A lot of that old iron was really dangerous as hell. I am glad I flew after that old crap was scrapped.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 03:22:05 PM »
They have a B-36 at the USAF Museum at Wright-Patt AFB near Dayton, OH.  It is a monster.  If you have never gone to the USAF Museum, I would highly encourage a visit.

Got one at the SAC Museum just weat of Omaha also......It's freakin' huge....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 12:20:51 AM »
I liked this snippet on wikipedia:

"If all engines function normally at full power during the pre-takeoff warm-up, the lead flight engineer will sometimes say to the Aircraft Commander (AC), 'six turning and four burning.'" Erratic reliability led to the wisecrack, 'two turning, two burning, two joking, and two smoking, with two engines not accounted for.'"
—Michael Daciek quoting Capt. Banda
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy