Author Topic: B17 Crash  (Read 9665 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
B17 Crash
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:37:40 PM »
http://www.suntimes.com/5936097-417/world-war-ii-bomber-plane-crashes-in-cornfield-near-oswego.html

Looks like everyone made it out okay.  It really sucks when a classic warbird goes down, it's not like new ones are being made.  Few details, but the fire makes it sound like it will be a total loss.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: B17 Crash
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »
Oh, fudge!

The crew was light by three - obviously not carrying gunners. (duh!)

RIP, old warhorse.  Hope they do not just cut her up and tow to a scrap yard.  What an ignomious end to have to suffer.

I know the story was written by repotologist as opposed to journalists, but I do wish they had given a tail number.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_by_tail_number   http://www.7thbg.org/ACListing17.htm  http://warbird-central.com/?tag=b-17-flying-fortress  http://www.taphilo.com/history/8thaf/8thAFUnitMarkings.shtml 

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »
Check the pics; not much left but the wings. Reminds me of that pic from Hickam field after Pearl Harbor. RIP, old girl. :'(
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »
I drive past this airport to get to my shooting club.  I've seen her parked there many times.  It is truly sad.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:49:33 PM »
Sad day for American history. Last I knew Red Bull actually owns one of them. It used to be the Fairfax Ghost. Never saw combat because it was one of the last ones built.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:02:41 AM »
This really does break my heart.  I hope they can salvage as much of the engines and avionics as possible.  I would still like to save up for the $400 rides for the B-17 that comes often to Connecticut.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »
They'll probably restore it, if they can get the money to do so.  Which means, for most warbirds, scratch building a new one from plans and reusing the one wing skin panel that was partially salvagable.

'Course that'll take 15 years.
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »
Now that's a headline I hoped to never read...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:06 AM »
Tough end for a WWII veteran.

<snif>

Wasn't that also the plane which had the record for bombing missions and toured the US for the War Bond effort?(Finally read 41magsnub's link.  TNX)

I too, was planning on taking a $400 flight on one of the last Liberators flying.  Beautiful to see that thing floating along looking so slow and lumbering with that dull throaty roar of props and exhaust.

However, at my age...

... do they have a bathroom on those things?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:52:05 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 12:50:15 AM »
Wasn't that also the plane which had the record for bombing missions and toured the US for the War Bond effort?

No. The aircraft later christened the Liberty Belle, along with most (if not all) other currently airworthy B-17s never saw combat. The airframe, however, did serve as a P&W testbed postwar, including having a turboprop engine installed in the nose.

You're thinking of the Memphis Belle, of which there are two nowadays...the original (under restoration), and the one converted to resemble a B-17F and repainted as the Memphis Belle (stylized for the movie and then redone accurately later).

It's sad to note that the original Liberty Belle was also lost due to fire...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 12:55:04 AM »
^ Ah, thanks. I struck out my question.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 05:55:29 AM »
However, at my age...

... do they have a bathroom on those things?

Yes, but at your age straddling the bomb bay doors may not be fun.  =D

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 07:31:36 AM »
My heart sank when I first saw the headline.  I was afraid it might be Sentimental Journey, the aircraft I crewed back in the 80's.  Found out it was Liberty Bell when I read the story.  She was a beautiful girl.  I'm really glad everyone got out okay.  I wonder if they had installed the fire system on their bird?  We had in SJ back when I was crew, but we really held no illusions as to its effectiveness.  It's a good thing they were still early in their flight and fairly low when the fire broke out.
Looking at the pictures, the poor girl is beyond salvage.  Except for small fittings and such, there is nothing useful left.  And the romantic notion of building one from scratch is just that, a romantic notion.

However, at my age...

.... do they have a bathroom on those things?

In the SJ, the original pee tube was still there.  The funnel was on the wall adjacent to the belly turret, and its exhaust tube ran down the left side of the aircraft toward the tail, exiting somewhere past the tail wheel.  Folks touring the airplane would ask what the funnel was for and we would tell them it was the emergency inflight tail wheel inflation device.  "You blow into this funnel here..."  Invariably someone would want to try it out.  >:D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:36:22 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:44:50 AM »
Thats a shame.
We've got a squadron of warbirds at Galveston, including a B17 and a B25. http://www.lsfm.org/  They fly in about once a week and do touch and gos, since you can pay to ride around in them.   
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »
The article mentioned that there are 100 B-17 airframes in existence. Anyone know where they are and what condition they're in? Could one or more of them be restored to replace this one?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »
The article mentioned that there are 100 B-17 airframes in existence. Anyone know where they are and what condition they're in? Could one or more of them be restored to replace this one?

I don't think the # is that high. Wiki says 51 airframes.

Some are in restoration to airworthiness, others are in restoration for static display.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:25:32 PM by Avenger29 »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
I don't think the # is that high.

Some are in restoration to airworthiness, others are in restoration for static display.

When you consider there were originally 12,731 manufactured, including the Model 299 prototype, a hundred or so left is nothing.  They're essentially gone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
When you consider there were originally 12,731 manufactured, including the Model 299 prototype, a hundred or so left is nothing.  They're essentially gone.

You ain't got to tell me. And the airframes aren't all complete airframes, either...some are bits and pieces.

It's a flat out miracle that there are as many flying today as there are. The B-24 is an even rarer bird, despite being produced in higher numbers.

And the romantic notion of building one from scratch is just that, a romantic notion.

Well, it's doable...but highly unlikely to happen (I'd say the cost of doing so would make the cost of a compelete restoration of an airframe that is in poor condition look laughable in comparison).

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 10:36:03 PM »
One less war bird in the world.  :'(
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 09:56:34 AM »

There is one flying out of Galveston, TX. They fly it alot, too. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
Saw additional photos today. She landed completely intact, landing gear extended. Then the fire from the No. 1 engine consumed her.

bscl

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50:58 PM »
LINK to statement from the Liberty Foundation Chief Pilot and an excerpt:

Unlike the sensational photos that you have all seen of the completely burned B-17 on the news, you will see from photos taken by our crew that our Liberty Belle was undamaged by the forced landing and at the time of landing, the wing fire damage was relatively small. The crew actually unloaded bags, then had the horrible task of watching the aircraft slowly burn while waiting for the fire trucks to arrive. There were high hopes that the fire would be extinguished quickly and the damage would be repairable. Those hopes were diminished as the fire trucks deemed the field too soft to cross due to the area’s recent rainfall. So while standing by our burning B-17 and watching the fire trucks parked at the field’s edge, they sadly watched the wing fire spread to the aircraft’s fuel cells and of course, you all have seen the end result. There is no doubt that had the fire equipment been able to reach our aircraft, the fire would have been quickly extinguished and our Liberty Belle would have been repaired to continue her worthwhile mission.

That must've been frustrating and heart-breaking to watch. 
Life Member NRA, SAF

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »
So they couldn't even TRY? WTF? mother *expletive deleted*ers!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »
The Aurora Municipal Airport is a good sized GA airport located in the Village of Sugar Grove.   The Village of Sugar Grove is run by a bunch of 'tards.  That's probably the nicest way I can put it.

The airport and the Aurora Sportsmen's Club were built/started before the ever was a village of Sugar Grove.  Since the incorporation of the village and rapid residential development with the housing bubble, people were shocked, shocked I tell you to discover that an Airport and a Gun Club were in their backyards. 

The 'tards were able to force annex and make the gun club move.  However, they are not able to force annex and close the airport.  Since the airport is 1) Bigger then 40 acres, 2) Owned by the City of Aurora and 3) The FAA told the 'tards to go pound sand.

SG thought that the building boom would go on forever and WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY over build and bought Municipal "Toys".  They are up to their eyeballs in muni bond debt.  They have  a huge Municpal Building and Fire Department, a $8 million dollar Library that due to funding is only open 5 days a week and some of those days are only for a few hours.  The running joke is that "the one book is checked out, and besides someone has already colored all the pictures."

Though the population is about 9,000, the kids are bused to a neighboring school districts because they didn't build schools before the built the "Imperial Palace" errr Municipal Building.

So it comes as no surprise that the SGFD was afraid to get their fancy toys muddy.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.