Author Topic: ‘Feral pig’ chases frightened Texas hikers up a tree.  (Read 1094 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://amp.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article232288047.html?__twitter_impression=true

Two hikers in Texas were frightened when they heard what sounded like a feral pig in the night, officials say. It was anything but.

The man and woman had gone to Government Canyon State Natural Area in San Antonio, an urban state park on the north side of the city, to enjoy its 40 miles of trails. But they feared a wild hog was on their tail, so they climbed a tree to safety and the woman called 911 close to midnight June 21, officials said in a news release.
It wasn’t a pig, police say
The woman warned the officer that the feral pig was still close by, officials said. It was growling just minutes before the officer arrived, she said, according to the release.

Just then, the hikers heard a sound, officials said. The officer asked whether that was the same sound that caused them to climb a tree, and both the man and the woman nodded, according to the release.

That’s when the officer realized the sound the hikers believed to be a feral pig actually was cars crossing rumble strips on a nearby road, officials said.

He told the hikers and both seemed embarrassed by the mistaken threat, according to the release.

:facepalm:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: ‘Feral pig’ chases frightened Texas hikers up a tree.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 04:20:07 PM »
What caliber for rumble strips?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »
What caliber for rumble strips?

I am thinking a well placed 155mm round would do nicely for those pesky wild rumble strips.

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »
Drunk or stoned?  You be the judge.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 06:35:05 PM »
Apparently they managed to stay up in a tree with no mention of falling out. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »

While either or both would be a good bet I'm going to default to "just *expletive deleted*ing stupid".
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:29:45 PM »
The scariest sentence in the entire story:

The officer reassured them that “the unknown can be scary and their reaction surprisingly common,” according to the release.

May I never mistake a highway rumble strip for a feral pig.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »
Do they even know what a feral pig sounds like?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 09:52:15 PM »

Like cars going over a rumble strip, duh!  :P
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 07:21:36 AM »

It says, "Oink, yo."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 08:58:20 AM »
The rumble strip would have been my last guess on what outside noises would spook someone.  There are all sorts of noises in the woods at night (not man made) that most people are not familiar with. 

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 09:18:14 AM »
The rumble strip would have been my last guess on what outside noises would spook someone.  There are all sorts of noises in the woods at night (not man made) that most people are not familiar with. 

Rarely do I get spooked in the woods. Generally I keep a clean camp and stash my food out of the immediate area. Mostly black bear country. Never backpacked in griz/brown bear country. I’m pretty sure that I would be on edge and jumpy if I were in their territory.

I’ve even fallen hard asleep in crazy wind storms which are probably more dangerous (falling trees) than any critters I may come in contact with.

Usually I’m more concerned with doing something dumb and getting hurt or not being aware and getting lost.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »
The $64,000 question has yet to be asked, or answered:

Are they really Texans?  Or are they California transplants?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 10:37:14 AM »
The $64,000 question has yet to be asked, or answered:

Are they really Texans?  Or are they California transplants?

Considering the fact Sheila Jackson Lee keeps getting reelected they could very well be Texans. She's in her 13th term!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes