Author Topic: Thomas Sowell on reparations  (Read 2844 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Thomas Sowell on reparations
« on: June 28, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/ThomasSowell/status/1117194132559155202?s=09

Thomas Sowell always manages to turn things on their head.

“The number of whites who were enslaved in North Africa by the Barbary pirates exceeded the number of Africans enslaved in the United States and in the American colonies before that put together.”

There is a short video with the link.  I thought the crowd here would want to see this.  Note he does specify the US and US colonies not all of the New World. 

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/Barbary-Pirates-English-Slaves/
This link was posted in the replies.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Thomas Sowell on reparations
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »
I've been pointing this out for years every time someone brings up reparations. I'm usually called all kinds of mean nasty things but mostly racist afterwards.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:36:05 AM »
To say nothing of the millions of sub Saharan Africans enslaved by North Africans, a huge portion which died in the march across the desert or from infection after castration, to serve the caliphate.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
Was friends with a woman from Nigeria and one day I asked her if she ever had any race issues in America. She replied yes but not from whites but from American blacks. She said many American blacks won't have anything to do with blacks from Africa because "they were the ones selling the slaves to the slave traders" This was back in the 90s.
My sister in law has said pretty much the same thing, she's from Nigeria too.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:04:49 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »
Civic Nationalism and a return to the respect for the right of association is our only hope.

We are not all equal in every way, we are not the same. As individuals, as races, as ethnicities and every other stupid intersectional category, we are not the same. Hierarchies, competencies and gifts all exist in different measure across the human spectrum. Viva la difference!

Our only hope is strong Federalism taking over under the umbrella of strong civic nationalism that protects the rights of people to be who they are, many tribes and peoples united under a constitutional umbrella. We actually resemble an empire more than a nation. Multiple peoples, cultures sharing one land, one government, empire.

Turning us into an undifferentiated grey mush of generic consumers is civilizational suicide. It won’t work as tribalism will assert itself.

Let the people segregate and separate as they see fit. Devolve government authority over people down to the most local level.

If some people want to live in a multicultural area of the nation, more power to them.
If some prefer to live in a more homogenous area of the country filled with their people they should be able to do that in America, with no government interference.
Maximum local control AND accountability.

The financial obligations of the various “tribes” one to another should be limited to what is spelled out in the constitution.

The chains need to go back on a certain group of people.
The Federal government, the judiciary and houses of Congress.

Bind them down with the chains of the constitution.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 01:19:20 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »
Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »

The Federal government, the judiciary and houses of Congress.

Bind them down with the chains of the constitution.

Maybe real ones would work sort of like term limits.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 07:02:03 PM »
What Ron said is the way it is supposed to be.  We are all Americans with differences and we should be around whoever we please or not be around whoever we don't please.  We are all equal in the eyes of the law, but very unequal in reality.  To actually understand that actuality, we can co exist peacefully.  Those unequalities cross a wide spectrum of human critters, but should have an equal opportunity in the law.

Speaking of reparations:  Since LBJ got the Great Society passed in 1969, we have as a nation spent over 22 trillion dollars on the welfare state (reparations)  which has "benefited" mostly black folks, but succeeded only to make matters worse.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 10:42:27 PM »
I am absolutely in favor of reparations for gun owners.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »
What Ron said is the way it is supposed to be.  We are all Americans with differences and we should be around whoever we please or not be around whoever we don't please.  We are all equal in the eyes of the law, but very unequal in reality.  To actually understand that actuality, we can co exist peacefully.  Those unequalities cross a wide spectrum of human critters, but should have an equal opportunity in the law.

Speaking of reparations:  Since LBJ got the Great Society passed in 1969, we have as a nation spent over 22 trillion dollars on the welfare state (reparations)  which has "benefited" mostly black folks, but succeeded only to make matters worse.
I don't think that is accurate.  I do not think they represent a majority of those on welfare (at least today).  I am not sure how those numbers look going back year by year.

https://brandongaille.com/welfare-statistics-by-race-state-and-payment/
https://www.reference.com/government-politics/race-percentage-welfare-recipients-fb9188762a3fe221
As of July 8, 2014, the demographic breakdown of welfare recipients was 38.8 percent Caucasian, 39.8 percent African American, 15.7 percent Hispanic, 2.5 percent Asian and 3.3 percent Other. There are 12.8 million Americans on welfare, which is equivalent to 4.1 percent of the U.S. population.
Okay, not a majority, but it seems they are the highest ethnic group by percentage?   =|   I did not come across historical numbers, but I did see a number of links that seem to be deliberately confusing the issue. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 01:05:21 AM »
Let's run that math out a bit further.   39.8% of 12.8 million is 5,094,400.  Blacks make up 20,400,000 or 12.6% of the US population.  So roughly 20% of the black demographic of the US is on welfare.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 04:27:31 AM »
I wonder if their welfare stats include stuff like SSDI fraud- around here the popular thing among both whites and blacks is to scam their way onto disability- that’s the real lifetime gravy train, adding other forms of welfare on top of that (section 8, EBT/SNAP, etc) is just a nice bonus.

Maybe it’s not considered welfare but I sure as *expletive deleted*ck do when I see a mother *expletive deleted*er on it who claims to have headaches that prevent them from working but doesn’t prevent them from driving the nice sports cars and motorcycles that are parked in the yard of their nice house, all paid for by people like me who work our hands to the bone.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 04:51:14 AM »
Those who work for a living are getting outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »
Those who work for a living are getting outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

That [unfortunately] sums it up all too well.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/americans-welfare-perceptions-survey_n_5a7880cde4b0d3df1d13f60b?guccounter=1

An interesting article on the perception of who gets welfare benefits, especially on what you do define as welfare.  In my neck of the woods, based on the sheer numbers of recipients, the overwhelming majority of persons receiving welfare are white.  But then the overwhelming majority of persons in my neck of the woods are white.  I don't know if any one group is over-represented as welfare recipients compared to their proportion of the overall population.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/americans-welfare-perceptions-survey_n_5a7880cde4b0d3df1d13f60b?guccounter=1

An interesting article on the perception of who gets welfare benefits, especially on what you do define as welfare.  In my neck of the woods, based on the sheer numbers of recipients, the overwhelming majority of persons receiving welfare are white.  But then the overwhelming majority of persons in my neck of the woods are white.  I don't know if any one group is over-represented as welfare recipients compared to their proportion of the overall population.

Yeah.  Numbers don't mean much.  Rates would be more interesting.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 05:00:24 PM »

Bumper sticker worthy.   :cool:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 10:54:23 AM »
It's a non starter.  It doesn't matter.
All that matters is should the son pay for the sins of the father's father's father's father's father's father. 
And the answer in a free society is abso *expletive deleted*ing lutely not.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 12:53:52 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, guilt isn't something you inherit.

ESPECIALLY when your ancestors WERE NOT the guilty parties.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »
It's a non starter.  It doesn't matter.
All that matters is should the son pay for the sins of the father's father's father's father's father's father. 
And the answer in a free society is abso *expletive deleted*ing lutely not.

That and BigGov shouldn't be a handing out free stuff.  Charity is for the people to give, not the Govt no matter how good it sounds.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
The (Democrat!) government was responsible for the interment of Japanese citizens.

As far as I know, the government wasn't responsible for American slavery.  In fact, the government put an end to it.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 04:06:01 PM »
Disparate Impact

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »
The (Democrat!) government was responsible for the interment of Japanese citizens.

As far as I know, the government wasn't responsible for American slavery.  In fact, the government put an end to it.
Steven Crowder put out a few Youtube videos this week talking with a historian.  They discussed the slavery issue on one of them.  They mentioned most of the Founding Fathers thought slavery would end within 20 years as it wasn't economical.  They mentioned the invention of the cotton gin changed things.  Lots of other little facts were mentioned like there were laws preventing slave owners from freeing their slaves. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 07:53:54 PM »
Larry Elder had a guest on his show who pointed out the not inconsiderable number of black Americans that owned black slaves.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 08:44:58 PM »