Author Topic: Great service from Chaco Sandals  (Read 4536 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Great service from Chaco Sandals
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:41:57 AM »
I sent my Chaco Z1 sandals in to be resoled last week.  I got a call from them today explaining that my sandals had been destroyed when they attempted to resole them.  My first thought was "great, they'll offer me a discount coupon or something".  Nope, they are replacing the sandals for the cost of the resole job and paying for the return shipping as well.  All I had to do was pick the color I wanted for the strapping.  $31 for a $100 pair of sandals.  If the new ones wear as well as the old ones, I'll get at least 4yrs of service (the old ones were 4.5yrs old).  I was wearing through Tevas and the like in less than two years per pair.  Chacos wear like iron and are great for bumming around the beach, woods, creeks, etc.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Great service from Chaco Sandals
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 12:20:40 PM »
Chacos wear like iron and are great for bumming around the beach, woods, creeks, etc.

That just sounds painful.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
Too bad sandals are dumb.
Cheesy
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 05:19:50 PM »
These are "tactical" sandals.  When I bought mine, they had the same sole as many hiking boots.  The current sole is a bit milder, but still more aggressive than Tevas. 

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 05:32:40 PM »
Chacos rock.   My chacos are worth every cent of the $100 I paid for them.*

They have a Vibram sole which is more aggressive than any of my boots, save my logging boots.

I wear them for casual dress in the summer. You can run in them and go through all sorts of crap, hose them off, and keep on going.

Also, they have the best adjustment mechanism of any sandal.

* I am a "clearance rack" kinda guy for most clothes, but I buy quality footgear.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 05:39:52 PM »
They have a Vibram sole which is more aggressive than any of my boots, save my logging boots.
The ones I bought 4.5 years ago had an aggressive sole reminiscent of old school hiking boots (Vibram as well).  The new sole is not as aggressive, but still Vibram.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »
Chacos rock.   My chacos are worth every cent of the $100 I paid for them.*

Given how long they last, they're a bargain at $100. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 05:52:11 PM »
Yup, very pricey but very worth it.  I love mine. 

The fiancee likes to make fun of the triangular suntan marks on my feet.  They last all year round.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:48:06 PM »
Edited:  I had some questions about the down side of wearing sandals, but I don't want to rain on the parade.  I'm very protective of my great big feet, is all. 

Carry on.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 01:58:16 AM »
Ask the questions.  You're not going to hurt my feelings.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 07:52:13 PM »
Well, I can derail the thread, now that it has passed into oblivion.  I wasn't afraid of hurting your feelings, I was just trying not to be a cranky curmudgeon for once. 

If y'all are paying a hundred bucks for sandals, you must wear them quite a bit.  But where?  Other than around the house, from the front door to the mail-box, or between the tent and the shower point (or cat-hole), I can't imagine any place I'd wear sandals.  I have some cheapos that have served the above purposes well for a few years now.

I see people wearing them around.  My wife wears flip-flops most of the year.  But I don't get it.  Don't you guys bang your toes on things?  Or get your toe-nails ripped off every couple of weeks?  Or drop things on your feet?  Or have your feet stepped on?  When I've worn sandals, the dust and sweat between my foot and the sandal was just annoying. 

I don't expect everyone to wear high-topped, full-leather logger boots EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY LEAVE THE HOUSE, like I do.  But I like to have some protection around my feet (just like when I drive, it's in a cage, not a motor-bike).  Maybe it's because they're size thirteens, so they're always running into things.

Or, you all are just a whole lot tougher than me.   smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 02:13:46 AM »
Fair questions.

I wear mine from mid Spring till early Fall (basically when the temps are above 60deg) whenever I'm not at work and would otherwise be wearing tennis shoes or flip flops (except for when exercising).  I've never had a problem banging my toes, getting stepped on, losing nails, etc.  I'll wear these for an entire day of walking around town, walking in the woods, fishing, etc.  I actually wear these more than less expensive sandals because the tread and sole composition made them suitable in more places.  I got roughly 2yrs from Tevas and other less expensive sandals.  After 4.5 years, these still had enough sole to get by, but I wanted to send them in during the winter so I would have them in time for warmer weather (wasn't sure how long it would take). 

As for sweat, I haven't had any problems.  The pattern on the footbed tends to keep it from building up.  They haven't developed any smells or other funk.  Every few weeks, I toss them in the wash.

BTW, you should see how often I go barefoot.  I'll go on multi-block walks with my family without any footwear at all! Smiley

Chris

atomd

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 05:58:04 AM »
I can't believe those things cost $100. They appear to be made from fairly inexpensive materials. Not to mention far less material to begin with since they are sandals. You can get fairly high end running shoes for around $100 ...or some pretty good quality leather work boots. I guess if they feel good and you don't mind spending the money. At least you're getting some good wear out of them.

Chris - I hope you don't get any glass stuck in your foot or bitten by anything. I don't even walk on the grass in my bare feet anymore because idiots break glass and throw random garbage on it.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 06:20:52 AM »
I can't believe those things cost $100. They appear to be made from fairly inexpensive materials. Not to mention far less material to begin with since they are sandals. You can get fairly high end running shoes for around $100 ...or some pretty good quality leather work boots. I guess if they feel good and you don't mind spending the money. At least you're getting some good wear out of them.

Chris - I hope you don't get any glass stuck in your foot or bitten by anything. I don't even walk on the grass in my bare feet anymore because idiots break glass and throw random garbage on it.

They are extremely burly for sandals.  It is like comparing tennis shoes to work boots.  They changed the tread pattern since I bought my first pair, but back then, the non-marking sole had tread like a work boot.  Imagine taking the soles off your work boot, adding a new foodbed and sandal straps and that was what you had with the Chacos. 

I've been a dedicated sandal wearer for the past 12 years.  I haven't had any problems that were the fault of wearing them.  I've even done a bit of moderate mountain biking in them (with flat pedals, not clipless).

Chris

auschip

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 06:25:36 AM »
Well, I can derail the thread, now that it has passed into oblivion.  I wasn't afraid of hurting your feelings, I was just trying not to be a cranky curmudgeon for once. 

If y'all are paying a hundred bucks for sandals, you must wear them quite a bit.  But where?  Other than around the house, from the front door to the mail-box, or between the tent and the shower point (or cat-hole), I can't imagine any place I'd wear sandals.  I have some cheapos that have served the above purposes well for a few years now.

I see people wearing them around.  My wife wears flip-flops most of the year.  But I don't get it.  Don't you guys bang your toes on things?  Or get your toe-nails ripped off every couple of weeks?  Or drop things on your feet?  Or have your feet stepped on?  When I've worn sandals, the dust and sweat between my foot and the sandal was just annoying. 

I don't expect everyone to wear high-topped, full-leather logger boots EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY LEAVE THE HOUSE, like I do.  But I like to have some protection around my feet (just like when I drive, it's in a cage, not a motor-bike).  Maybe it's because they're size thirteens, so they're always running into things.

I wear a size 15 US size 47 Euro, and haven't really had a problem with foot protection in sandals.  I don't bang into stuff with my feet, but I have seen other less graceful folks do so.   grin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 06:34:40 AM »
Those aren't feet, they're flippers. Wink

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 06:40:18 AM »

To give you perspective on my footgear proclivities (I think you'll spot a trend):
1. I wear Redwings to work, usually steel-toe, black, 6" tall (at ankle) leather lace up work boots.  They polish up really well.
2. Sometimes I'll wear my black, leather, steel toe 10" Redwing roper western work boots to work...they are my primary church footgear & also polish up with Kiwi.
3. My "casual" boots are either 8" black, leather steel toe Carolina logging boots or my re-soled jungle boots (only boots I wear regularly without a steel toe) from my time in the service of Uncle Sam.

I like hard-duty footgear and IMO, men need to wear some sort of footgear that will allow them to run, dodge, fight, etc. at all times.  Chacos will allow for me to do all of my required men's activities I expect men to be able to accomplish at the drop of a hat, even when dressed super-casually (shorts, etc.).  Chacos are to sandals what Redwings, Danners, etc. are to boots.

They are tough and I have never stubbed a toe in them.  I am sure it is possible, but it is a small probability, due to their design.  The design also allows for a very secure fit.  I am sure someone might, one day, drop something heavy on my feet while wearing Chacos, but the times/places I wear them mitigate against that.  Times would be as casual wear where shorts would be appropriate, during warm weather.  Places would include most places not a construction site, warehouse, or factory.  I guess hte most peril my dogs face is when in line for something.

The materials are of high quality.  The soles are vibram.  The footbed is a high-density rubber compound that has enough give to be comfy, but not squishy.  The strapping is tough nylon webbing.

If you never wear shorts in warm weather, I doubt Chacos would be of much use to you.  I find them a fine complement to other warm-weather casual wear in the hotter places in the USA.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »

If you never wear shorts in warm weather...

Well, of course not.  I'm a grown man, you know.  Tongue

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 07:51:14 AM »
Got the new sandals last night.  I'm iffy on the new sole design.  It's not as aggressive visually, but it may perform just as well, we'll see...

They felt kinda funny when I put them on because the footbed wasn't worn down to fit my feet.  The texture of the footbed is well defined, unlike the 4yo sandals they replaced. Smiley

The best part?  It was the "Lovingly Assembled in the USA" tag. Smiley

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 09:03:48 AM »
Sorry, I only roll with heavy boots. Sandles and flipflops lead to injured feet (stubbed toes, etc).

Oh, I do wear shoes with my uniform. But otherwise, boots only. And I don't wear shorts.

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »
And I don't wear shorts.

We are the last of a dying breed.  I'm curious.

Is it because you just prefer to have your legs shielded with some material? 

Or do you feel funny with your knees sticking out? 

Or is it a religious conviction?

Or is it my Dad's reason; a leg covered in shiny skin grafts?   laugh

member1313

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 07:48:19 PM »
Companies like this deserve to stay in business. That type of customer service is rare.

I actually dislike sandals fairly strongly, so I'll never buy anything from them, but it's still good to know how they treat (and clearly appreciate) their customers.

Word of mouth is the best advertising.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »
Is it because you just prefer to have your legs shielded with some material? 

Or do you feel funny with your knees sticking out? 

Both, although mainly the first. I'm in the woods frequently behind the house or working on stuff out in the yard- crawling under stuff, etc.

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 11:29:57 AM »
I'm in the woods frequently behind the house or working on stuff out in the yard- crawling under stuff, etc.

I do both in my sandals.  That was one of the main reasons I gave Chaco a try, they had a sole appropriate for rugged terrain and uses.  Like I said earlier, I've even gone mountain biking in them. 

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »
Sorry, I only roll with heavy boots. Sandles and flipflops lead to injured feet (stubbed toes, etc).

Oh, I do wear shoes with my uniform. But otherwise, boots only. And I don't wear shorts.

Steeltoed British mechanic's boots FTW.