Author Topic: Tuxedo shoes  (Read 7656 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Tuxedo shoes
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
I have to wear a tux for a event in November.  I have the tux (JCPenney sale FTW), but I still need to get shoes.  I have a pair of underutilized and understated black dress shoes.  They aren't patent leather shiny, but I can shine them up a bit.  Will they do or should I just buy a pair of normal tux shoes.  I might wear this one more time in the next decade, so I'd rather not buy stuff I don't have to.

Chris

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Tuxedo shoes
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
I don't see a need for "tux shoes."  I think the primary reason that rental tux shoes are patent leather is they are easier to keep shiny than normal leather.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:51:22 PM »
Never mind.  I JCP has the Stafford tux shoes I declined to buy last weekend on sale for $26.  I bought those. 

Total cost for the tux: $140, it would normally be close to $400.  I love multiple, stackable discounts.  That isn't much more than a rental.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »
I don't see a need for "tux shoes."  I think the primary reason that rental tux shoes are patent leather is they are easier to keep shiny than normal leather.

Everything I read said Patent Leather or very shiny "normal" leather was the appropriate choice.  I wasn't completely sure I could get my dress shoes shiny enough.

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »
Shine 'em up and as long as they look good you are good. Hand shined looks better than the patent leather "disco shoes" anyway (I used to be in ROTC...the people that purchased patent leather shoes usually regretted their purchase eventually because they got beat up easily, while the standard shoes were easy to buff back into shape)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:53:23 PM »
Never mind.  I JCP has the Stafford tux shoes I declined to buy last weekend on sale for $26.  I bought those. 

Total cost for the tux: $140, it would normally be close to $400.  I love multiple, stackable discounts.  That isn't much more than a rental.

Chris
Plus the shoes only have your funk in them.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 11:08:24 PM »
For our wedding I wore the rental patent leather shoes. A buddy of mine who stood up for my wedding gave his dress shoes a really good shine for his tux.  When I look at wedding photos, I wish I'd gone with dress shoes as he did.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 11:20:15 PM »
Good spit shine will work wonders on older shoes.

Last time I had a tux event, I bought a balck silk T shirt and a pair of black Nike's.  I'd say 90% of the guys told me they wished they'd thought of dressing up that way.  That was back in the 80's.  I think I was the guy that invented that "look", elegant T shirt with a tux or suit and comfortable shoes that took over a few years later.  Just a humble trendsetter, me. :cool:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 11:33:38 PM »
Flip flops, cowboy boots, or jungle boots.  Anything else....  [barf]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 12:17:48 AM »
For our wedding I wore the rental patent leather shoes. A buddy of mine who stood up for my wedding gave his dress shoes a really good shine for his tux.  When I look at wedding photos, I wish I'd gone with dress shoes as he did.

For my wedding I bought a pair of black harness boots, cut off the straps, and had them shined by a cobbler. (Harness boots are preferred for their square toes and under-stated appearance once the straps are removed. My daddy wears 'em that way.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 11:30:23 AM »
Cowboy boots  :P

You'd have to shoot me to get me to wear a tuxedo.  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »
When I have to wear a tuxedo, I wear my 'Prince Charlie' outfit that I bought in Edinburgh: A tuxedo jacket and vest above the waist, a Blackwatch tartan kilt below, and the traditional kilt hose and shoes. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 01:38:11 PM »
Cowboy boots  :P

You'd have to shoot me to get me to wear a tuxedo.  :mad:

You'd have to shoot me to get me in *expletive deleted*it-kickers, I mean cowboy boots. :P

I don't have much of a choice in this situation.  My FIL is being inducted (or whatever they call it) as the head of the Va state Masonic organization.  Because this took a lot of work and because a large portion of my wife's family is involved in Masonic and Shrine organizations, this is a really big deal to them.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn a suit or tux in the past decade.

I welcome my Masonic overloards.  [tinfoil]

Chris

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »

I don't have much of a choice in this situation.  My FIL is being inducted (or whatever they call it) as the head of the Va state Masonic organization.  Because this took a lot of work and because a large portion of my wife's family is involved in Masonic and Shrine organizations, this is a really big deal to them.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn a suit or tux in the past decade.

I welcome my Masonic overloards.  [tinfoil]

Chris

You going to start calling him "Worshipful Sir" now?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 10:32:30 PM »
dood are you going to the Old Town Alexandria obelisk?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
High Schol Prom about 100 yrs ago, dude wore the regular tux, but for after-prom party change pants to shorts (Bermudas?) and knees socks. Can't remember his name but can still see him there! I've worn a tux a couple times since.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 06:56:01 AM »
dood are you going to the Old Town Alexandria obelisk?

No, this is in Richmond.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
When I got married I made sure our tux shoes were Fubu brand, very comfortable almost like tennis shoes.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 01:28:55 PM »
I wore engineer boots (brand new ones) with my tux.  Of course, BrokenMa didn't wear shoes at all to our wedding, so a certain amount of orthodoxy was already cast aside.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »
Kudos for buying the tux.  Rentals are, imho, without class. 

I didn't care that much, so let the MIL have free reign, but at the wedding couldn't help but think how much nicer it would have been for the groom to be in his own clothes, and ones that, y'know, fit.  And that weren't so threadbare, actually quite shabby to a textile geek like me.  My choice would have been a decent morning suit for the groom, and whatever they wanted to wear for the attendants.  Jewel tones for the women, to ensure that no one clashed too horribly.  As it was, the guys were forced into horribly ill-fitting shabby tuxes, the girls into cheap pastel-ish dresses, and much money was wasted. 

Of course, I think you have to go to England to find such a thing as a morning suit anymore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »
Of course, I think you have to go to England to find such a thing as a morning suit anymore.

Is that similar to an afternoon tuxedo?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
Kudos for buying the tux.  Rentals are, imho, without class. 

I didn't care that much, so let the MIL have free reign, but at the wedding couldn't help but think how much nicer it would have been for the groom to be in his own clothes, and ones that, y'know, fit.  And that weren't so threadbare, actually quite shabby to a textile geek like me.  My choice would have been a decent morning suit for the groom, and whatever they wanted to wear for the attendants.  Jewel tones for the women, to ensure that no one clashed too horribly.  As it was, the guys were forced into horribly ill-fitting shabby tuxes, the girls into cheap pastel-ish dresses, and much money was wasted. 

If rentals are done properly everyone should look good. They were fitted by someone who didn't know what they were doing. My brother used to do weddings for Men's Wearhouse here locally. My brother is a smart dresser and that was reflected in the tuxes he sold/rented.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:55 PM »
I wore engineer boots (brand new ones) with my tux. 

A fine choice.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 06:32:42 PM »
Flip flops, cowboy boots, or jungle boots.  Anything else....  [barf]

FIFY.....maybe a pair of New Balance walking shoes for casual wear.....

No flip-flops.....no one here wants to see your feet....   :P :-X [barf]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?