Author Topic: Picking up the trumpet again...after 23 years  (Read 2400 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Picking up the trumpet again...after 23 years
« on: February 08, 2016, 01:50:05 PM »
I played from 7th grade up through 12th (symphonic, marching, pep, and jazz) and again some as a sophomore in college (jazz and pep).  Though, by the end of my high school playing career, I was mainly going through the motions and wasn't particularly interested anymore.  I stuck with it because, well, it's what I knew and should at least finish, right?  Even when I picked it up again in college, it quickly felt like more work than fun, so I packed the horn away more or less permanently after that.  After 20-odd years of moving it around, I decided to sell it.  I cleaned it up, took some pix, and posted it to Craigslist for a high, but not absurd price (after doing some research).  I got one looky-loo who played the horn for a good 30min, but really wanted an original Besson Meha (not made since the 40s) and not my late 80s Kanstul Besson Meha repro (which are considered fine and sometimes more consistent instruments themselves).  Since I wasn't willing to come off the price, we parted ways.  

Hearing my old horn play again made me miss playing, so I've started down that journey again.  I spent a couple days in the car buzzing the mouthpiece during commutes (that sounds vaguely dirty), then started working on a few scales and remembered snippets of music.  I can play the middle register ok, but need work on the lower and upper parts.  The fingerings (phrasing!) and general ability to read music are slowly returning as I read stuff online.  I'm going to pick up a copy of Rubank Elementary Method - Cornet or Trumpet to help relearn what I've forgotten.  It may be a bit too introductory, but I think that's important to make sure I don't miss what I've forgotten.  I'll work my way up through that series of guides and screw around with some contemporary tunes to keep it interesting.

My biggest issue is going to be the sound.  I live in a townhouse with a home worker on one side and a late/night shift worker on the other.  They're not going to enjoy full bore trumpet, especially those awkward early stages, scales, and repetitive exercises. :D  I have a straight mute (no bents in my bell!), but it isn't enough.  I tried a Bach practice mute, but the back pressure was too great.  I'll  have to use the current mute and maybe modify it  a bit so it fits deeper into the horn, providing a bit more moderation.  

One thing I will not be doing is getting involved in any public playing, groups, or anything else that makes this less fun.  It was the schedule of practice, appearances, and playing for others that took the fun out of it.  Luckily for me, at this stage, nobody would want to hear me anyway. :D

Chris
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 03:43:13 PM by mtnbkr »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Picking up the trumpet again...after 23 years
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 02:38:16 PM »
I pity your family.

My son took up the trumpet this year, against my advice.  I told my wife, "I already ride him hard on schoolwork, cleaning up around the house, and some other bits.  I refuse to push him one inch to play that blasted thing." 

Next year he will be in choir.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »
Do you have a local music store? Sometimes they have practice rooms that you can rent. That might be an option, at least till you get through the awkward stage.

Also, you could try sound proofing a room or even a large closet for a practice space at home.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
Does your townhouse have a basement?  My sons practice in the basement, which keeps the noise down...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »
Craigslist personals.  Find someone willing to host for "whatever you want."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:26 PM »
I pity your family.

Meh.  You don't have to play a trumpet like a jazz master.  I prefer sticking to the middle register and being less "in your face".

Do you have a local music store? Sometimes they have practice rooms that you can rent. That might be an option, at least till you get through the awkward stage.

Also, you could try sound proofing a room or even a large closet for a practice space at home.

I do, but I don't know if they have practice rooms or not.  When I was there Saturday, they were quite busy, so I suspect they're in high demand with students and such.

Soundproofing a room or closet is not doable.

Does your townhouse have a basement?  My sons practice in the basement, which keeps the noise down...

Not technically.  The first floor "option" room (shares floorspace with the garage and entry foyer) is unfinished in our house and treated like a basement, but it shares walls with the same room with the two adjoining THs.  In those houses, those rooms are finished and used as family rooms.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
Craigslist personals.  Find someone willing to host for "whatever you want."

Your advice is as useful as ever.

Chris

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 04:53:04 PM »
If you can get good at playing Taps with the trumpet or better a bugle I know you would be in great need.  Too many funerals today for Veterans are using electronic music to play Taps.  Not the same sound.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 06:38:36 PM »
Your advice is as useful as ever.

Craigslist personals.  "Strictly platonic."  "Someone to chat with."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »

What ever happened to standing on the street, with the case open at your feet, while you practice?  Seems all sort of budding musicians (horn, string, woodwind) have been doing that for years.  You get immediate feedback on how well you are doing.

Alternatively, the very shy often go to the park to irritate the wildlife.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
What ever happened to standing on the street, with the case open at your feet, while you practice?  Seems all sort of budding musicians (horn, string, woodwind) have been doing that for years.  You get immediate feedback on how well you are doing.

Alternatively, the very shy often go to the park to irritate the wildlife.

stay safe.
Busking.  I would get paid to go away.

This guy plays in public spaces around the DC area frequently.  He's quite good. 

Do you have a local music store? Sometimes they have practice rooms that you can rent.
I checked at the local music shop on the way home (stopped to get some instructional material).  Not only do they have practice rooms, they're free to use, though people teaching or taking lessons get dibs.  They suggested coming in the morning as they don't normally have students in the morning. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »
 :facepalm:

6 months tops, and it's gone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »

I know how to solve mtnbkrs problem!

You can practice at Mike's house!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »

Maybe.  I had to give it another shot before I got rid of it though.  No point in keeping it if it's not being played.

ETA: Weren't you complaining just yesterday about your inability to declutter?  You should take some notes from me, if you can find your paper and pencil in the clutter.  :P  :laugh:

Chris

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 10:18:49 PM »
Almost makes me think about getting my trombone out. 

Almost. I don't care what Riker says, trombones do not make good solo instruments...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 10:23:51 PM »
You should see the pile of stuff out for garbage.

And yes, practice at my house. It might drown out the kids on either side.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:10:32 PM »
Wow.  So very lyrical.  He's other tracks are good too, but I love this one. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMu-6WXhFK8
I've never heard of Ibrahim Malouf before, but probably because I was not playing anymore by the time he appeared "on the scene". 

As far as my own progression is concerned, the notes are coming back.  I'm even able to creep up into the upper register, which is a surprise.  I'm not particularly musical, but at least I can do more than make fart noises through the horn. :D

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »
"I've never heard of Ibrahim Malouf before..."

Probably because his last name is spelled Maalouf...  :rofl:

He's one of the best all-around trumpet players around. His lyrical jazz improvisation is just... incredible.

Check out this video starting around 9:30... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qUjjyJHE_o

And just to round it out...

Bix Beiderbecke... although he played the coronet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ue9igC7flI

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
Meh, typo.  The URL I provided was correct at least. :)

I've never heard of Bix, I'll have to come back and listen to more.  I didn't think much of them when I was in school, but I'm starting to like the audio qualities of the cornet and flugelhorn (both conical bore vs the cylinder bore of the trumpet) more these days.  Their sound is mellower.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 07:51:22 PM »
A lot more people would have heard of Bix had he not drank himself to death.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 02:10:20 AM »
Almost makes me think about getting my trombone out. 

Almost. I don't care what Riker says, trombones do not make good solo instruments...

Donated my trombone to a school 7 years ago or so.  Played for 10 years.  I was pretty good.

If I get back into music I might try the violin.  Trombone would be fun again too in the right circumstances.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »
Had many death threats from disgruntled neighbors yet?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 06:43:34 AM »
Not yet, but I haven't played a lot and when I do it's during the work day (yay working from home).  I'm mainly working on scales and long tones with a few song snippets to break up the monotony.

I picked up a new mouthpiece.  The last couple years I was playing, I used a Marcinkiewicz 10 1/2c mouthpiece (narrow and shallow cup) to give me more endurance on the jazz stuff I was increasingly playing.  Since I was starting from scratch and had no need to have great endurance or hit particularly high notes, I decided to try a wider/deeper mouthpiece (5b size) and work on getting a darker, richer tone.

Not only is my tone  much better, but my low notes are more solid and I can play at lower volumes much easier and clearer.  I wish I had tried something similar in school, but the trend was to go to shallower mouthpieces.

I need to work on my fingerings.  I still don't recall all my flats and sharps.

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 07:33:54 AM »
Not yet, but I haven't played a lot and when I do it's during the work day (yay working from home).  I'm mainly working on scales and long tones with a few song snippets to break up the monotony.

I picked up a new mouthpiece.  The last couple years I was playing, I used a Marcinkiewicz 10 1/2c mouthpiece (narrow and shallow cup) to give me more endurance on the jazz stuff I was increasingly playing.  Since I was starting from scratch and had no need to have great endurance or hit particularly high notes, I decided to try a wider/deeper mouthpiece (5b size) and work on getting a darker, richer tone.

Not only is my tone  much better, but my low notes are more solid and I can play at lower volumes much easier and clearer.  I wish I had tried something similar in school, but the trend was to go to shallower mouthpieces.

I need to work on my fingerings.  I still don't recall all my flats and sharps.

Chris

That's what she said.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »
 I don't know what I'm going to do with my trombones. I've got a generic Conn small-bore practice trombone and a King 3B medium bore, which was my Dad's and which is a really good horn.

I may end up donating them to a school program.