Author Topic: Dealing with anxiety/anti-depressant therapy  (Read 2324 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Dealing with anxiety/anti-depressant therapy
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:09:42 PM »
Hello all,

I've been having trouble at school with classes and keeping a couple of grades up, and the constant stress and anxiety is really getting to me. I can't really handle the shame involved with getting these grades either. It prompted me to go talk to someone about starting some meds for anxiety, since I have a family history of depression/drug abuse/etc. They started me on some Zoloft and it's not really doing much. Tonight has been especially rough and my thoughts are really very negative anxious and concerning death or desparity in life. This is really unhealthy and making it impossible to sleep. This is day three of the drug regimen. So I'm wondering, have any of you who've started similar meds experienced this? I'm wondering if I should just drop the med and take my chances without it.

Anyone also have experiences that helped them in school when it was eating you alive? I'm putting every hour and every thought of each day into a certain course and still not cutting it, and other classes are suffering. The anxiety of possibly getting kicked out is just all-consuming. I'm in the process of accessing every possible resource to prevent this, but it's hanging over my head every damn day.

I can barely look my family members in the eye when thinking about how badly things are going.

On top of it I'm struggling to handle the weight of several more years of school, and then off to a job I'm not sure I can even stand. I feel like I've just been dropped into the ocean with a ball & chain on each foot.

Thanks for any thoughts-
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Vodka7

• friend
Re: Dealing with anxiety/anti-depressant therapy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 08:21:34 PM »
Don't just toss the Zoloft--if they're not working for you, go back to the doc and talk about different medications/dosages you could be on.  A good friend of mine suffered through depression and anxiety all through high school, and it got a lot worse in college, to the point of dropping out of two different colleges a few suicide attempts.  She finally found a combination that worked for her though, and she's happier now than I've seen her in almost a decade.  She's got a job she likes, friends at work and at home, and is in a solid relationship--all things that would have seemed absolutely impossible to her even just a few years back.  Everyone's different, what works for person A may not work for you.

I'd also recommend letting your parents know what's going on.  I know how hard it can be to dissapoint people you love, but it's better they have an idea of what's coming at the end of the semester than for them to just get a huge surprise one day.

Also, as far as grades, it's probably too late to withdraw from or Pass/Fail a course, but check and see anyway.  A "Withdrawl" on a transcript doesn't look good, but it certainly looks better than a D.  And even if you get the D, talk to your school's administration, as most schools have a special medical withdraw option for people in situations like your own.

Really though, keep your doctor involved.  If your school has any type of group therapy you can go to in addition to regular appointments, give that a shot too.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:09:53 PM »
DO NOT just drop the Zoloft.  It can take up to two weeks to build up in your system.  Instead, go back to the doctor ASAP.  This is serious stuff and you need professional help.

Once your mindset stabilizes, please let your parents know what you have been dealing with.  If they are like most parents, they will provide valuable support.

Finally, please keep us up to date.  Several people on this board and on THR have dealt with depression and will be happy to help in any way we can.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 01:19:09 AM »
You sound like you have a good case of end of semester burnout. I can't offer much help in the way of the depression aspect but i can let you in on a little study method that really works. I got it from a psych prof and as hare brained as it sounds it DOES work! (maybe not for math, never tried)

When you are studying the class text you should be taking notes. Those notes should consist of what you consider the 10 or 15 most important points of each chapter. When it's time to study for the test you take that list and copy it over BUT you turn every other statement into a false statement. You think it might confuse you but it doesn't. What it DOES do is slow you down and makes you mull these points over while you try to convert them to the negative. When you go to take the test yoyu'll tick the answers off like there's nothing to it. I pulled a "D" up to a "B" in no time using this method in what was a pretty heavy psych class. Good luck. Summer vacation is almost here, hang in there!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:33:47 AM »
"They started me on some Zoloft and it's not really doing much.... I'm on day 3"

SSRI anti-depressants can take anywhere from 2 weeks or more to begin to be effective. Don't assume that because you're not feeling better right now that they're not working. It takes time.

And yes, what you're feeling is pretty normal, but try to focus on the fact that the medication is building in your system and that it's going to kick in and help stabilize you. That's your lifeline right now. Use it.

If, after two weeks you're still having problems, it could be one of two things, and you'll need to return to the doctor.

1. The dosage is too low. You don't say what dose you're on per day, but it's not unsusual for people who are profoundly depressed to be on as much as 400 mg or more a day until they stabilize. I can't remember if I topped out at 300mg or 400mg, but I THINK it was 400mg. for some months.

2. It may simply not work for you, at which point you'll want to try another medication. There are a lot of very good anti-depressants on the market today, and most people find relief with one of them.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:53:32 AM »
There's also too many so-called doctors who toss pills. Go to a PSYCHIATRIST, not just a psychologist, IMO.

I'm getting pretty tired of doctors who throw magic pills (whichever brand gives them the most free loot and perks) at people instead of having a lengthy examination and consultation.

Ever see those drug company reps going in to see the doctor while you're still in the waiting room? Sell sell sell, magic pill, magic pill! Antibiotics, any antibiotic for a viral infection (if it even is, since they don't even order bloodwork most of the time), and shot-in-the-dark antidepressants before a long talk and suggestions of things to try first.

Also IMO, exercise can negate a lot of forms of depression. Get plenty of exercise, go work out. A good doctor would have suggested that you hit the gym, not just started you on a pill. And, ironically, Zoloft is known to cause dangerously high blood pressure in some people, so if you use the gym now, be careful. Then, further causing issues for some people, these meds can also cause, well...let's say the launch codes may not always get to the silo, which can cause further frustration with one's girlfriend.

And once you're on those pills, keep in mind that you can't quit "cold turkey"...people who have generally report a recurring sensation like an electric shock in their brain that can last weeks.

If there were ever a SHTF situation, and you couldn't get the pills anymore, you'd be severely compromised in terms of your ability to function. It's why I always suggest that people exhaust all other options first, including exercise and change of diet (less sugar, for one) before looking for magic pills.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 04:35:15 AM »
Thanks for the notes folks.

I'm doing better today than yesterday for sure, but last night felt very wierd. I hadn't felt extremes like that before. I knew a bit about the mechanism of action for the drug, but not much on mental side effects of it. I am not going to just quit on it. I haven't got a primary care physician right now and am planning on making an appointment with one that was reccomended to me this week.

This has been a wierd year, but it's forced me to deal with some aniety/depression that I've been fighting and shelving when possible.

I actually have already talked with my family about the grades (a couple of weeks ago) so they're aware. It's a graduate program and I'm the one footing the bills, so it's not something that would ever really show up at their doorstep. It's simply that I don't like to come home with news about failure. Having always done pretty well in school and undergrad, doing so poorly here is difficult to cope with. My family is supportive, and my mom continually tries to remind me that I'm in a 23 credit hour doctoral program with a part time job, so things are not really 'light' right now.

I had a meeting this morning with the interim student liaison (sp?) and actually feel a bit better. I was expecting some doom and gloom, with threats about what would happen if i didn't bring it up, but they were very smooth about it and positive and pro-active. I had already gotten several balls rolling but they confirmed it and made a lot of suggestions. Apparently this particular professor has given many other students the same problems in the past, she said others had even complained of the same issues with him. It's good to feel like I'm not as isolated idiot.

I really appreciate you all sharing your experiences with these drugs and depression, too. This school year has really forced certain things to the surface for me to deal with.

Oh, thanks for that study tip 280plus. I thought I'd heard most things, but that's new. I really like it, too. I'll be giving it a try this week.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 04:48:42 AM »
No job, class, or grade is worth killing yourself over.  Regardless of the dufficulty, force yourself to step back and look at the big picture.  Life is a marathon, not a 40 yard dash.  Brief stumbles can be overcome.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 05:24:38 AM »
remind me that I'm in a 23 credit hour doctoral program with a part time job,
Now that's what I call a full load. I only carried 12 credits while working full time and I thought THAT was brutally time (and sleep) consuming. I can't imagine carrying 23. Maybe we need to lighten up next semester? Going with the not killing yourself flow here...

I forgot to mention, when you study for the test, that's all the studying you do. Once you've recopied the notes you are done. This sets a limit on "How much or how long should I study?" and let's you move on to other things.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 05:36:57 AM »
I'll second going to a psychiatrist for your meds if possible. It took well more than two weeks for Zoloft to have a positive effect on me. At the beginning of a larger dosage (the initial dose didn't do much of anything), my anxiety got much worse, along with problems sleeping, bad restlessness, etc. But eventually the extremes and side effects subsided and I felt a bit better. Your doctor may be willing to give you something in the interim along the lines of Valium that has a much more immediate effect, and will help you relax and get a breather from the stress.

Good luck to you!
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 05:50:13 AM »
I did my internship at a university counseling center.  Besides individual and group therapy, we provided many other services to help students with a varity of problems.  Even small schools have fairly extensive services and will refer you out if they can't help you.  I would have to say that at least half the people I saw were in situations similar to yours.

I am not a doctor, but I have had numerous clients that were taking Zoloft.  What other posters have said is good advice.  Do not discontinue the medication without talking to your doctor first.  I'll second the suggestion for exercise and add that improving your diet can also have a positive effect on your mood.

I wanted to also point out that a psychologist is not an MD (or DO) and cannot prescribe medication.  A psychiatrist is one and can prescribe medication.  Most psychiatrists just monitor symptoms and prescribe medication.  Very few actually do any kind of therapy.  I have never met one or worked with one, though I know that there are some.  IMO, most people that are on medication should also be doing something else.  This can include individual therapy, group therapy, self-help books, etc.  Medication can be very helpful, but there has been a lot of research that shows the best prognosis for long-term recovery is not just medication alone.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 06:24:04 AM »
Don't neglect possible vitamin deficiencies, either. Make sure to take a once-daily vitamin. A lot of people can quite literally get depressed if they don't get enough B vitamins, or potassium, or even calcium. A calcium deficiency can cause lots of problems, likewise potassium.

The best way to get potassium is to eat some veggies, but if you're on a "student diet", add a can or two of low-sodium V8 to your day, along with vitamins.

The body's a complex thing. And a lot of times, not getting the right nutrients can be like trying to run a car on kerosene when it wants 89 octane.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 07:47:13 AM »
I should note that I am not actually suicidal at all. Verbalizing the types of thoughts I was consumed with very much so makes it look that way, but I'm really not in that place. At my worst I've not had it even as an afterthought. I do appreciate your affirmations though. My mind feels a bit jumbled with things, and the anxiety can be overwhelming, but there is a core to my mind that sees that I'm not being rational (for which I'm grateful).

The course load is also, sadly, not something that I have any real control over right now. The course structure is made in advance, and everyone takes the same courses for this first year. After that, we take mostly the same courses with some choices as to electives. I think I can keep the load below 20 after this year.

One of the reasons I finally went to see someone about how I was feeling was actually because I had isolated other variables. I made sure it wasn't primarily something like poor sleep or poor diet (I feel this way even after 'good sleep' and I take multi-vitamins, etc.).

I'm hoping to keep things a little more stable from hear on by eating away at my studies more gradually/steadily. It's hard to turn years of learned studying behavior upside-down all of the sudden.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 07:56:54 AM »
As others have mentioned, give it a few weeks before you decide it's not working. Zoloft has worked well for me in the past for depression, but for anxiety I had much better luck with Luvox. If one doesn't work for you, there's plenty more to try and the likelihood is that one of them will work for you. I went through several before I got to the Luvox. I also second "doing something else" as SteveS mentioned. My victory in my battle with pure-obsessive OCD was a result of a combination of medication, counseling, books, and figuring some things out on my own.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 09:44:27 AM »
I work in healthcare, and my first wife also had major depression, so I am reasonably familiar with some of these issues.  As has been noted above, it can take at least three weeks for the meds to start working and relieve depressive symptoms.  Also, the anti-depressants are not as interchangeable as the literature would suggest.  Any experienced practitioner can tell you stories about patients who did not respond to one SSRI but did respond to another.  Sometimes, there can be some trying of different medication regimens to find out which one works the best for a given patient.  And sometimes supplemental medications such as lithium or thyroid meds may also be used.  Hang in there, it will get better.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 11:55:55 AM »
Here's another vote for seeing a pyschiatrist, and also for trying other meds if Zoloft isn't working.

My shrink prescribed several different newer medications, and all of them made me either irritable, anxious, drowsy, or all of the above.

I finally went back to the old standby, Valium.

A lot of shrinks are pill-pushers and little else. A good one will spend time with you, and will likely recommend relaxation therapy. A major factor in controlling anxiety is breathing properly.

Is it necessary for you to carry such a stressful workload?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »
No job, class, or grade is worth killing yourself over.  Regardless of the dufficulty, force yourself to step back and look at the big picture.  Life is a marathon, not a 40 yard dash.  Brief stumbles can be overcome.
Amen, brother. 

Take a step back and get some perspective.  Excelling is good, but enjoying life is better.  If you find yourself having to medicate just to get by day to day, then you need a lifestyle change more than you need another prescription.

I've been there, bro.  Trust me, it isn't worth it.

Fresh air, exercise, a few hours a week spent with friends and family, and an occasional cigar did far more for me and my anxiety problems than any of the doctors ever did.  Going back to church regularly also helped.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 01:46:57 PM »
I was stressed out years ago in college. I was going to school full time, and trying to hold down a 5 day/35 hour per week bartending/bar manager job. It wasn't working. I was stressed out around the clock. I got put on academic probation, and a college counselor recommended that I quit my job and take more loans.

Instead, I reduced my class load and kept the good job. I went to summer school, as it let me knock out classes quicker. I got a whole year of German knocked out one summer, and using it four hours every day from 8AM to noon made you learn it faster and better. All in all, it worked out better, grade wise, mental health wise, and financially. I graduated a year later, but I thought it was worth it.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 05:49:07 PM »
Take it from an old guy, Spooky.  I'm 63 now.  Elder statesman and sage.  Don't hurry, don't worry and don't forget to smell the flowers along the way.

As I progressed through life, about the time I got to my late forties, early fifties, it dawned on me that all the things that had stressed me out, caused me worry, raised my blood pressure, caused me to weep and gnash my teeth over, the things that I absolutely could not live without and had major importance began to fade as to the value they had.  Peace of mind, family, the pleasure of smelling the spring time, looking at a starry sky on a quiet night, some good smoke, a glass of wine, good memories, and the quiet satisfaction that life itself is a blessing.

In other words, my friend, it is the simple nonsensical things in life that ultimately give you the most satisfaction.  All the drive and labor and angst over the things that society values the most is really rather mundane at the end of the day and but a shadow that will pass away.

That is not to say that one desist in striving.  But, one should put that striving into perspective.  One second of inattention and all that becomes meaningless., because boom your dead or a quad, or blind, or...whatever.   So, do things for the enjoyment of them, for the fantasy in them.  There is nothing in this life that has more value than your peace of mind and if you are like me, a relationship with Him who breathed you into existence.

Chill, my friend.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 06:30:35 PM »
Thanks Grampster, that was a good thing to hear and read. It's odd knowing that every hour of your day is accounted for before you even wake up.  It feels like trying to smell the roses while on an express train.

Assuming I pass the semester, there's only thirty days left of it. It's my understanding that things slowly down just slightly next year (I hope so dearly). From the meeting I had this morning I'm thinking there's at least a fair chance that I'm not going to have to repeat the course, though they were vague and not specific. We shall see.

I'm going outside to have a smoke on my pipe...

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 04:29:30 AM »
Take it from an old guy, Spooky.  I'm 63 now.  Elder statesman and sage.  Don't hurry, don't worry and don't forget to smell the flowers along the way.

As I progressed through life, about the time I got to my late forties, early fifties, it dawned on me that all the things that had stressed me out, caused me worry, raised my blood pressure, caused me to weep and gnash my teeth over, the things that I absolutely could not live without and had major importance began to fade as to the value they had.  Peace of mind, family, the pleasure of smelling the spring time, looking at a starry sky on a quiet night, some good smoke, a glass of wine, good memories, and the quiet satisfaction that life itself is a blessing.

In other words, my friend, it is the simple nonsensical things in life that ultimately give you the most satisfaction.  All the drive and labor and angst over the things that society values the most is really rather mundane at the end of the day and but a shadow that will pass away.

That is not to say that one desist in striving.  But, one should put that striving into perspective.  One second of inattention and all that becomes meaningless., because boom your dead or a quad, or blind, or...whatever.   So, do things for the enjoyment of them, for the fantasy in them.  There is nothing in this life that has more value than your peace of mind and if you are like me, a relationship with Him who breathed you into existence.

Chill, my friend.

The problem is that it's not that easy anymore. For anyone under 35, generally, our parents had it a LOT easier. Pensions are a myth of ancient peoples, now. There is no loyalty to companies because companies have no loyalty to their "resources". Everyone's a free agent watching their own back, because co-workers will stab them in it to get ahead and prevent being one of the ones rounded off in the next rounds of downsizing for overseas outsourcing.

And one of the only ways to get ahead is to stuff as many suffixes and degrees after your name early in your career as you can. You HAVE to, or you're just a worker bee. It's the only chance at a future where you might be able to retire comfortably. Because for most people under 35 I know, it's paycheck to paycheck even with good-paying careers. "savings" is something our parents could do.

And so that frantic scramble now isn't optional...it's filling the pantry before a harsh winter. Because if you don't do that, among people of that age now, the only other future at 63 will be a lost home, a tiny apartment, and plunging toilets at wal-mart.

And that's the harsh reality.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 05:38:37 AM »
"Everyone's a free agent watching their own back, because co-workers will stab them in it to get ahead and prevent being one of the ones rounded off in the next rounds of downsizing for overseas outsourcing."

Yeah, that certainly never happened pre 1976.

It's also something of a fantasy that pensions were always the durable rock of a loyal employee's old age.

My Grandfather worked for the same company from 1937 to 1972 when he retired when the plant shut down.

Know what his monthly pension amount was at retirement?

$102.

And he was a mechanical engineer with an advanced degree and had been part of the management structure for nearly his entire career at the company.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »
Second the exercise suggestion.  First place to start.

A shrink is a good place to start because he or she can sort out what is caused by medical issues and what is related to thought processes.

A psychologist (a good one) is worth the effort.  Thought processes can defeat you before you start.  A psychologist can help you ID your processes and work out ways to correct it. 

My view is we are a little too quick with the pill for anyone having mind problems.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 01:09:17 AM »
Learn not to load yourself up too much per semester. If you KNOW you're going to have to take some heavy courses try and also take one or two that won't be so intense so you'll have some balance. Be careful though. I did that my last semester and took a 200 Literature course figuring, "How tough can a 200 course be?" I had to read and report on 11 modern fiction novels for that one. Whoops!   cheesy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 07:23:56 AM »
Keep your head up. You'll pull through this.
Andy