Author Topic: SWAT on oil rigs?  (Read 9582 times)

mellestad

• friend
Re: SWAT on oil rigs?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 12:38:03 PM »
Not that I have seen but with the involvement of DHS and swat, one has to wonder if it was deliberate.

DHS handles a pretty broad range of things.  In this case their 'disaster' wing is taking over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Homeland_Security  <-- has a list of child agencies and responsibilities.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »
We knew that eventually the Somali pirates and the tea partiers would join forces, didn't we?  Not to worry, though, The Napolitano is on the case.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »
Has there been a reason given for the explosion?
Until proven otherwise, it's fistful's fault.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »
I have been having the gut feeling for several days now that the greenies had something to do with this blow up........How many rounds of golf did O play while this escapade was evolving?  chris3

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 02:04:12 PM »
Yea, that seems to be the case, I'm seeing it pop up elsewhere too.  Poor word choice on his part though, due to confusion caused.

Unless....unless it isn't!   [tinfoil]

In healthcare, the terms 'SWAT', 'Tiger Team', 'Rapid Response Team' and the like are frequently used to refer to a dedicated or ad hoc team of problem solvers or crisis management.  I have seen the same concept used in many other industries, especially in the dot coms. 

My favorite such team was used by my commercial property insurer after a fire loss: FART, for the Fixed Asset Remediation Team.  They had an official name as well, but FART is what they called themselves.

But of course,  [tinfoil] is always easier to assume, especially when you are talking about the government. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
the swat team was called in due to a suspicious link to the Cambridge police dept :cool: >:D
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
lots of companies like to use terms like that it gives em mall ninjitsu tingles
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 02:54:08 PM »
I think it apparent that BHO is completely justified calling out the SWAT on the oil rigs.

Just look a the Tea Party roughnecks!!!!!!11111:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 03:04:20 PM »
lady in the blue hat look mean!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
1>Which agencies have responsibility by law for investigation of such events, and
2>Which agencies have been tasked by the administration to investigate this event.

2 does not necessarily equal 1.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

taurusowner

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »
I can see Rapid Response Team.  But SWAT team?  That's an acronym that actually means something.  Something which has nothing to do with oil well inspectors or health care professionals(yet).  Does this mean we can just start applying terms that sound cool to anything we want?  Can I dub a AAA tow truck "The US Army Rangers" and then tell people the Army Rangers picked me up when I was stranded on the side of the road?  How about a little more common sense and a little less "we wanna sound cool".

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »
Anyone find the fact that DHS even HAS tactical teams to be somewhat disconcerting?

I.........We have mentioned this before, but we always get shut down and accused of tinfoil hattery.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

grey54956

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 08:31:59 PM »
I don't think anyone is sure what caused this.  So far, people are saying it was a "blowout" of oil and gas.  If that's the case, I don't see what a SWAT team would do.

Now, if it were Mexican or Venezuelan terrorists, I could see some value in the SWAT team.  However, if we had definitive proof, there would be a big diplomatic storm going on right now.

I am wondering if it wasn't some radical environmental group gone horribly awry in an early Earth Day celebration...  They'd want to suppress any info about domestic terrorists while they investigate.  At the same time, SWAT would be appropriate for guarding other rigs.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »
Rough time line-

Obama opens up off shore exploration
Obama makes statement re: the safety record of off shore rigs
Off shore oil rig problem results in environmental disaster
Off shore exploration put on hold.

I guess it depends on how much one believes in coincidence...  [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 01:17:04 AM »
Obama opens up off shore exploration

Obama didn't open up anything. The offshore drilling was opened up by Bush. It just was supposed to start/take effect under Obama. In fact, Obama restricted and gutted the original offshore exploration plans. He just announced it, took credit, to hopefully placate the drill now crowd. In other words, he lied.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 01:34:59 AM »
on another forum a guy has claimed there are different better regs on bop's in Venezuela than in the usa. his claim is the oil companies lobbied to get standards lowered here. any truth?  or is this guy living up to his track record of talking out  his tail

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 01:45:26 AM »
He be speaking from his arse

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 01:55:12 AM »
i suspected as much  can you give me anyplace to look for concrete sources so i can count coup on him?  yet again

I woulda been most surprised to find the usa having lower standards than other countries.   If I heard just the opposite that would be more the norm.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »
Give me a day or 2 and I will have you some scources to
cite.

Remember. That idiot dictator there seized an American offshore platfom. For the good of the state. They owe all the major players, BP, Halliburton, Exxon, a buttload of money for service rendered

So, most have pulled out.  Interesting read from 2009. When this stuff started to come to a head

http://mobile.forbes.com/device/article.php?CALL_URL=http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/30/hugo-chavez-venezuela-oil-business-energy-0130_oil_rig.html?

Abraham Lincoln

• friends
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 02:06:18 AM »
lotta foreign  places regulation in some industries are minimal.  hence the rush for companies to build plants overseas

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 02:07:41 AM »
I am wondering if it wasn't some radical environmental group gone horribly awry in an early Earth Day celebration...  They'd want to suppress any info about left wing domestic terrorists while they investigate.  At the same time, SWAT would be appropriate for guarding other rigs.

Fixed that for you. Leftist domestic terrorism? Keep it under the wraps. Peaceful "right wing" protests? DOMESTIC TERRORISTS!!!!1111!!!!!!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 03:31:52 AM »
lotta foreign  places regulation in some industries are minimal.  hence the rush for companies to build plants overseas

And add the fact that many places have high de-jure regulations, but will... look the other way if you know the right people.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 10:20:31 AM »
Okay, really?
3 minutes of research that apparantly Levin and Limbaugh would rather not bother to do.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/04/oil_spill_the_governments_resp.html
INTERIOR DEPARTMENT:
The department deployed SWAT teams from the Minerals Management Service to inspect 30 drilling rigs operating in the deepwater sections of the Gulf of Mexico. Inspections should be completed within the next week, according to an Interior Department spokeswoman.

Come back with something that isn't wild eyed speculation and senasationalisim. 
Frankly, I'm somewhat ashamed at the HuffPO style this thread has taken on.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”