Author Topic: Survivor or Parkland Shooting to sue Sheriff  (Read 8023 times)

dogmush

• friend
Survivor or Parkland Shooting to sue Sheriff
« on: March 07, 2018, 03:42:38 PM »
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article203661689.html

This has started popping up in local news today.

One of the kids that survived being shot is planning to sue the Broward County Sheriff for damages.  I know there's case law that the police don't have an obligation to protect any individual.  I wonder if he, or his lawyer, is going to argue that the sheriff's negligence didn't protect ANY individuals.  Kinda like the Law Enforcement version of dangerous shelves at Wal-Mart.

If this becomes a trend, with a bunch of real victims, 17 wrongful death suits and the inevitable "Mental Anguish" bandwagon jumpers it could become to expensive for the county to settle.  Kinda interesting.

JN01

• friend
Re: Survivor or Parkland Shooting to sue Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »
While the dirtbag that pulled the trigger is mostly to blame, it is good to see someone focusing on the other parties bearing responsibility for this tragedy.  Your desire to be PC leads to people being dead, you need to pay for it. Good luck to the victim.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Survivor or Parkland Shooting to sue Sheriff
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »
I know there's case law that the police don't have an obligation to protect any individual.  I wonder if he, or his lawyer, is going to argue that the sheriff's negligence didn't protect ANY individuals.

One potential angle could be that the SRO does have a specific obligation to do what he can, which, as a fully sworn deputy performing a function specifically designated by the sheriff, means that responsibility for dereliction of that duty resides with the sheriff himself.