Author Topic: UH. OH. Federal Government Needs Massive Hiring Binge, Study Finds  (Read 4079 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
UH. OH. Federal Government Needs Massive Hiring Binge, Study Finds
« on: September 03, 2009, 07:08:48 AM »
Federal Government Needs Massive Hiring Binge, Study Finds
Washington Post; September 3, 2009

The federal government needs to hire more than 270,000 workers for
"mission-critical" jobs over the next three years, a surge prompted in part
by the large number of baby-boomer federal workers reaching retirement age,
according to the results of a government-wide survey being released
Thursday. The numbers also reflect the Obama administration's intent to take
on several enormous challenges, including the repair of the financial
sector, fighting two wars, and addressing climate change.
"It has to win the war for talent in order to win the multiple wars it's
fighting for the American people," said Max Stier, president and chief
executive of the Partnership for Public Service, the think tank that
conducted the survey of 35 federal agencies, representing nearly 99 percent
of the federal workforce.

Speaking as a Federal employee, this makes my Libertarian persona want to hurl. Consider the source.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: UH. OH. Federal Government Needs Massive Hiring Binge, Study Finds
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »
Um, how about they leave "climate change" alone, until and unless they can prove it actually exists, and stop meddling in the financial sector?

They could trim the behemoth bureaucracy of the IRS by going to a flat tax.

They could save millions by reducing the BATF to the number of agents required to investigate real abuse, not minor paperwork errors like commas or misspelled words.

Maybe, too, they should take a look at the baby boomers who are coming up for retirement to see which ones are goofing off on their jobs. If they are, then the job isn't necessary.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 09:33:40 AM »
they must have got the "H" and "F" keys mixed up.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »
The founding fathers would grab their muskets and revolt.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »
I'd back up a bit guys, if I'm reading this right, that massive hiring binge is simply to maintain the federal service at it's current level because the youth are underrepresented in government jobs, and a lot of people are getting up to retirement age.

I won't disagree that fewer government workers wouldn't be a good thing, but then again, I think restructuring might not be a bad thing - there's things like border patrol, immigration offices, that need more resources in order to do their jobs right.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »
...there's things like border patrol, immigration offices, that need more resources in order to do their jobs right.

Yeah, but those aren't high priorities to the current resident of the White House.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »
Firethorn is correct.

I've just declined a couple GS positions myself over the last few weeks, and they were quite persistent. (Reminding myself to remove resume' from USAJOBS)  It appears that the hiring binge is indeed ramping up in anticipation of retirements/attrition in the federal civilian sector. 

Less government is good, but this doesn't appear to be some big plus-up in the numbers, just an effort to fill positions that will be vacant soon.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
Dang it. I'm now faced with a prisoner's dilemma.

EVERYONE would be better off if these government positions were not filled.

However, I'm well aware that if I landed a government job, my family would be well-cared for, especially if the government seriously screws up the economy.

Thus, it is likely in my family's best interest that I pursue one of these job openings in the Federal Government.

I'm just glad I've got a good job now, else I'd be SORELY tempted to work for the leviathan. It's still a consideration- consider it "TEOTWAWKI" preparations....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:35:42 PM »
Mak, as my current project winds down (likely have 4-8months), I find myself in the same boat, especially considering I'm a contractor on the govt side already.

Chris

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »
I'm just glad I've got a good job now, else I'd be SORELY tempted to work for the leviathan. It's still a consideration- consider it "TEOTWAWKI" preparations....

Come, Join the Dark Side...

/Bluesuiter.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:02:20 PM »
Retired bluesuiter here, and somewhat glad I didn't go GS/GM afterwards.

Although, if that long dry spell earlier this year continued, the FDA GS position I declined would have been a definite possibility.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
At some point both my kids will be in school all day, I might consider going back to federal employment.  Not sure, though, as I'm really enjoying "retirement", too.
 :lol:
As long as the dear leader doesn't make it too hard on small businesses, I might spin my own thing off from what we're doing, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grey54956

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 11:27:04 PM »
Perhaps a gov't job is a way to study the messed up, jacked up system from within and formulate a better way to fix it?
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
Perhaps a gov't job is a way to study the messed up, jacked up system from within and formulate a better way to fix it?

No, that way lies insanity.

I'm a fed .gov employee. Trust me, I could write a frickin' book on what's wrong (and that's at the lowest level). How to fix it? Fire a hell of a lot of people. Will that ever be done? Don't hold your breath.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 12:00:09 AM »
No. It just makes you mad.  :laugh:
Good .gov workers are probably 60-70% efficient. Average .gov workers are lower. The ones who handle the paperwork seem to be 5-15% efficient, if that.  :laugh:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 12:03:09 AM »
The ones who handle the paperwork seem to be 5-15% efficient, if that.  laugh

Don't laugh about it. Our administrative officer (handles payroll, money, other really important stuff, etc) is maybe 5% effective. She's lower than "Idiot" status. A 5 minute conversation with her will make your head hurt. The Crazy Cat Lady on the Simpsons makes more sense than this woman.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 07:06:51 AM »
Taken individually, most of the govt employees I deal with in my job (IT contractor on govt project) are pretty sharp, motivated, and good people.  However, it's the organizations that are a PITA.

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 07:20:21 AM »
As a state level .gov employee, I can say the feds are getting ready for the same problem some states (mine included) are facing.  Over half of our employees will be of retirement age over the next 5-10 years.    I'm not one of them, so hopefully that means my job is reasonably safe.   =D
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 08:56:28 AM »
As a state level .gov employee, I can say the feds are getting ready for the same problem some states (mine included) are facing.  Over half of our employees will be of retirement age over the next 5-10 years.    I'm not one of them, so hopefully that means my job is reasonably safe.   =D

I'm in the same boat except they don't seem to be wanting to retire anytime soon.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
This seems like a non-story to me.

A lot of major corporations have the exact same problem. A huge portion of their experienced staff is hitting retirement age. Before the crash,  HR planned to hire about 50% of company again (~50,000 employees) in the next 5-10yrs. Now they give buyouts for people to retire early.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 10:27:27 AM »
More on the story from the IT side:

--------------

Help wanted: Agencies will need 11,000 more IT workers

Aging workforce and new administration's goals to add to agency IT labor crunch

* By Joab Jackson
    * Sep 03, 2009

Federal agencies will need to hire more than 270,000 new employees for mission-critical jobs over the next three years, including more than 11,549 IT pros, according to a survey released today by the Partnership for Public Service think tank.

The nonprofit surveyed 35 federal agencies and found they need additional help over the next three years, both to meet the Obama administration's goals and to replace a rapidly retiring workforce. The organization identified more than 277,000 positions that these agencies will need to fill by 2012. Among the areas where talent is most needed include medical and public health (54,114 projected hires), security and protection (52,077 projected hires), and compliance and enforcement (31,276 hires).

In the field of IT, the survey identified 11,549 positions that will need to be filled by 2012. At present the 35 agencies have a total of 56,463 IT employees, about 16,454, or roughly 29 percent, of whom will be eligible for retirement by 2012. The average age of IT employees working at these agencies is 48. The Partnership defines IT positions as those covering systems analysis, security, application software, data management and network services.

The Justice Department, which currently has 2,737 IT workers, will need 428 new recruits by 2012. About 532 IT workers at the agency will be eligible for retirement by 2012. The Defense Department, excluding the individual services, will need 1,408 new recruits for its 5,746-strong IT workforce, from which 1,892 employees will be eligible for retirement by 2012.

Some contractors have complained that federal agencies are poaching contractor employees to fill their thinning ranks, according to reports.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 10:41:32 AM »
Some contractors have complained that federal agencies are poaching contractor employees to fill their thinning ranks, according to reports.

Actually, there's a lot of traffic in both directions.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 10:52:20 AM »
You hear about this a lot in healthcare, where there is a huge bolus of nurses reaching retirement age in the next ten years.  We worry a lot about the nursing shortage growing even worse, since the US does not produce enough nurses each year to equal retirements and expansion.  There are not enough open student slots in the nursing schools.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 10:52:36 AM »
Actually, there's a lot of traffic in both directions.

Chris

I could definitely see that with higher level gov employees. Fed.gov has a "special" IT salary that runs through GS-12 that's higher than equivalent grade salaries in other fields to help with employee retention (though not all IT employees are in an "IT salary" category. Nothing like that for GS-13 and above (generally management grades) unless the agency is participating in Pay for Performance.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 11:02:01 AM »
You hear about this a lot in healthcare, where there is a huge bolus of nurses reaching retirement age in the next ten years.  We worry a lot about the nursing shortage growing even worse, since the US does not produce enough nurses each year to equal retirements and expansion.  There are not enough open student slots in the nursing schools.

Not to worry!

Obama and his minions have promised they will make everything better so don't worry about silly demographic problems like that!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought