Author Topic: UH. OH. Federal Government Needs Massive Hiring Binge, Study Finds  (Read 4076 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: UH. OH. Federal Government Needs Massive Hiring Binge, Study Finds
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 11:50:28 AM »
You hear about this a lot in healthcare, where there is a huge bolus of nurses reaching retirement age in the next ten years.  We worry a lot about the nursing shortage growing even worse, since the US does not produce enough nurses each year to equal retirements and expansion.  There are not enough open student slots in the nursing schools.

Hey, I'd love to go into that field (either nursing or as a paramedic) but...I'm squeamish as I can be.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
Hey, I'd love to go into that field (either nursing or as a paramedic) but...I'm squeamish as I can be.

In that case, allow me to suggest a healthcare field that is expanding, well-paid and doesn't require working with icky bodily fluids: physical therapy. 

As the baby boomers get older, they are requiring more physical therapy.  Much like nursing, the demand exceeds the supply.  Some PT schools, in an attempt to "raise the standards of the profession" (i.e.: reduce the supply and increase the demand) are now only offering a doctorate in physical therapy.  But there are still schools out there that provide a bachelor's.  I suspect that sooner or later, PT will follow the lead of the pharmacists and only offer a 5 or 6 year doctorate degree as the only means of entry into the profession.  Pharmacy did that years ago, and it has been very, very successful in raising salaries due to the decreased supply.  A new pharmacist right out of school can make $ 90,000/year working at Walgreen's, Rite Aid or the like.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »
I've often thought pharmacy would be a great gig, but all the chemistry and calculus sounds daunting to the non-mathy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 08:54:01 AM »
I'm in the same boat except they don't seem to be wanting to retire anytime soon.

Yeah.  There's one lady I know who's got a 40 year plaque on her desk.  She won't retire because staying home with her husband all day would drive her nuts. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2009, 12:51:38 PM »
I'd back up a bit guys, if I'm reading this right, that massive hiring binge is simply to maintain the federal service at it's current level because the youth are underrepresented in government jobs, and a lot of people are getting up to retirement age.

I won't disagree that fewer government workers wouldn't be a good thing, but then again, I think restructuring might not be a bad thing - there's things like border patrol, immigration offices, that need more resources in order to do their jobs right.

You're reading what they want you to read. If you READ it, you'll perhaps notice this little zinger, right after the bit about "replacing mission-critical workers":

The numbers also reflect the Obama administration's intent to take
on several enormous challenges, including the repair of the financial
sector, fighting two wars, and addressing climate change.

You don't take on enormous challenges with existing work force, unless you are prepared to stop carrying out other tasks. Which, as we all know, good bureaucrats never even consider.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design