Author Topic: Ubuntu and Unity  (Read 4069 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Ubuntu and Unity
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
What's your take on the new Unity interface? Classic is still available as a login option, but that is going away in 11.10

The Launcher has a few features that make it nice when working with multiple windows.  I really like that they combined three bars into one, even though they should have had the menu follow the title bar instead of staying at the top. However, I can't get past the fact that  the dash sucks big rocks off the ocean floor, I want the menus back. I'll still use it on my netbook, but that will only use a few programs anyway and the combined bars are a big plus. I'm currently downloading a few other versions of Linux to see if any are worth switching my desktop to.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Ubuntu and Unity
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »
I have a very hard time believing you won't be able to use classic in the future.  There are many many desktop environment options available for Ubuntu.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that you are limitied to what is installed by default.

For example: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop will get you the kde environment as a login option.  There is also XFCE, fluxbox, and others, but they are options you need to install.  Is classic really going to go away entirely as an option?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
Ubuntu has a desktop?  I only use it for servers, so I never see anything but the command line. ;)

Chris

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »
CNYCacher- I'm aware of the fact that other desktops can be installed on Ubuntu, That's on the list of things to look at.

More info on 11.10:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228072/nine_features_we_may_see_in_ubuntu_1110_oneiric_ocelot.html
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

Honestly, if I could just find a way to replace the dash with the classic menu system, I'd be a happy camper.

Command line is nice for some stuff, but I'll stick with the GUI thanks.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
What's your take on the new Unity interface? Classic is still available as a login option, but that is going away in 11.10

Don't care for it.  It classic goes away, I'll probably go back to Debian.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »
The classic GNOME desktop will reportedly no longer be included on the default Ubuntu CD,

from one of the linked articles.

Does not mean it can't be installed. 

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:04:49 PM »
If I have to reconfigure it as soon as I install it, I might as well install debian instead. Ubuntu has officially jumped the shark, on the desktop, IMO. If only they applied all that energy they spend inventing and changing perfectly good user interfaces, to doing useful things like fixing bugs, making sound work, and improving drivers, just think how good of a distro they could make.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:18:45 PM »
Sound works fine on my laptop.  Actually, everything worked on that laptop.  This was a couple revisions back though.

Chris

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 09:40:41 PM »
I like Unity. Gives me more vertical space, which is somewhat limited (1080) versus horizontal, which I have enough of (3600.)

But really, who cares. I interact with the desktop manager for about 15 seconds after I reboot and never again. Everything I need is always open on one of the three workspaces I utilize (which means I have one entire workspace free, and to be honest my second and third are pretty under-utilized.)

For my day to day use, the major plus is the new super-key functionality. I've found it's even better than Gnome-Do at figuring out what I want within just a few characters. It's really made me re-think the way I interact with computers. Instead of trying to figure out where something should be under a bunch of hierarchical menu trees, I just start typing in what I think the final destination should be named and it pops right up. Saves time.

The major minus is that I can't right click on my Chromium icon to see how many Chromium windows I have open, and kill whichever ones I want from there like I could with AWN. Most people probably wouldn't run into this one often, but it was nice, and I miss it.

The overreaction in the Linux community is hard to understand. The whole reason I use Linux is because it's so easy to make it exactly the way I want it. Cannonical moves the X button? Less than two minutes to Google and fix. Apple moves the X button? It's there forever. My heart is not exactly breaking for anyone who is using Linux long enough to miss Gnome and has to type in "sudo apt get install gnome" six months from now on a theoretical new machine. (Or, God forbid, stop downloading CD images and get the DVD.)

I like that Cannonical experiments. I like that they're willing to piss off old school projects and invest in projects they can shove in a new direction. If I wanted boring, I know where to get CentOS. If I want adventure, I know where to get Gentoo. I like the middle ground of Ubuntu.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
The overreaction in the Linux community is hard to understand.

No it isn't.  It's perfectly normal and expected for "the Linux community".

I've been using Linux for nearly 15 years now and just about every change is greeted with overreaction and FUD.

Chris

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
zombie thread
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
Just an update, I found a menu application a while back, and it brings back most of the function of the Gnome menu:

http://ubuntuguide.net/use-classic-menu-in-ubuntu-11-04-unity-launcher

Still going to use Gnome on my desktop, but this has been working great on my netbook.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
I use a liveusb on my work laptop for general unmonitored internetting outside of work hours. Grown to really like Unity for these purposes. Might be the 4gb of RAM and the Core i5 processor, but everything is very snappy etc. The only thing that bothers me is having to install compiz-manager to get an option to stop the sidebar autohiding, which is a behaviour that really annoys me.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

=D
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 02:43:47 PM »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
I don't think I ever use the gnome menu anyway. I think I used it one time--for setting up printing.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
I installed Ubuntu 11.10 for the first time just a couple of days ago.  The Unity interface didn't bother me and I thought it showed some promise.

Then I put it on a new machine today, rigged up my USB -> VGA adapter to it, and got to work making it all function under X.  Seemed pretty straight forward.  It was documented pretty well in the 10x series, might have even seen something in the 11.04 release on it, the packages are all pre-built... what could go wrong?

Yeah, Unity won't work with Xinerama multi-head displays.  Like, it works, in that you can see the same thing on both screens, but the mouse will transition from screen to screen.  So it looks like you've got multi-head support based on the mouse movements, but the displays all look like they're clone, and no mouse click will register in an app on the 2nd screen.

After a couple hours trying to figure out what I did to my X config to get such bizarre behavior I started looking for xinerama bugs.  It didn't take long for somebody to mention Unity and xinerama together and I had my answer.

Install Xfce4 and boom -- I've got a functional desktop.

The only quirk left is that the USB device has to be the primary display and the monitor attached to the actual video card has to be secondary.