Author Topic: Oh for the love of God!  (Read 4115 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh for the love of God!
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:09:54 PM »
This is just so frigging stupid it's not to be believed...

"DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ice cream makers Ben & Jerry's have apologized for causing offence by calling a new flavor "Black & Tan" -- the nickname of a notoriously violent British militia that operated during Ireland's war of independence.

The ice cream, available only in the United States, is based on an ale and stout drink of the same name.

"Any reference on our part to the British Army unit was absolutely unintentional and no ill-will was ever intended," said a Ben & Jerry's spokesman.

"Ben & Jerry's was built on the philosophies of peace and love," he added.

The Black and Tans, so-called because of their two-tone uniforms, were recruited in the early 1920s to bolster the ranks of the police force in Ireland as anti-British sentiment grew.

They quickly gained a reputation for brutality and mention of the militia still arouses strong feelings in Ireland.

"I can't believe that Ben & Jerry's would be so insensitive to call an ice cream such a name and to launch it as a celebration of Irishness ... it's an insult!" wrote one blogger on www.junkfoodblog.com.

"I hope they don't try to launch it here in Ireland or I imagine they'll lose a lot of their fans."

Ben & Jerry's, a unit of Anglo-Dutch consumer goods giant Unilever Plc, prides itself on its commitment to friendly business. Its mission statement includes a pledge to show "a deep respect for human beings inside and outside our company and for the communities in which they live."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:15:33 PM »
Black & Tan ice cream?  MMMMMMM sounds tasty.  Pity I can't stand the politics of Ben & Jerry's.  Oh well, Boulder Ice Cream tastes better anyway.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Stand_watie

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:16:56 PM »
Most large companies need to have one specific spokeswoman on call specifically to answer such foolishness. She'd only need a one word answer for all of such, but would have to have a perfectly timed eye roll, rude, cavalier gum snap, and perfect valley girl inflection as she answered the question - "What-everrrr".

My ten year old can do it perfectly.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 11:32:27 PM »
BJ didn't do any research at all, just like we might laugh when we see
Thai restaurants called "Phucket"

to say The Black and Tans were hated is putting it mildly.

You have to be stupid, very stupid, to try and sell a product
with that name in Ireland............

In nineteen hundred and sixteen
The forces of the crown
For to take Orange, White, and Green
Bombarded Dublin Town
But in '21, Britannia's sons
Were forced earn their pay, when
The black and tans, like lightening ran
From the Rifles of the IRA!

They burned their way through Munster
Then laid Leinster on the rack
Through Connacht, and through Ulster
Marched the men in brown and black
They shot down wives and children
In their own heroic way, but

They hanged young Kevin Barry high
Just a lad of eighteen years
Cork City's flames lit up in the sky

But our brave lads new no fear
The Cork brigade with hand-grenades
In ambush wait and lay, and

The tans were got, taken out and shot
By a brave and valiant few
Sean Treacy, Dinny Lacey
And Tom Barry's gallant crew
Though we're not free yet
We won't forget
Until our dying day, how
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 04:51:53 AM »
Hooray for the Black and Tans!  Keeping the buggers under the English heel.  Hooray!  

This calls for celebration with ice cream.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 04:56:15 AM »
yet there is: Guinness Black and Tan
http://www.ivo.se/guinness/bnt.html

"Black and Tan" FAQs

Q:   A:
What is a Black & Tan?
What is a Half-and-Half?

The answer depends on who you ask. The all-Guinness Black & Tan is Harp's Lager and Guinness. (Harp's is brewed by Guinness at Dundalk). Many consider the classic Black & Tan to be Bass Pale Ale and Guinness. (To some Irish, they appreciate the fact that the Irish comes out on top!) However, Bass Ale is not as available in Ireland as it used to be, and either Harp or Smithwicks is generally used. However, there are many variations involving a stout or porter and another lighter coloured beer, either lager or ale.

A half-and-half is often just another name for a Black & Tan. However, in many North American Irish pubs, the Bass/Guinness combination is called a Black & Tan, while the Harp/Guinness combination is called a Half-and-Half.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 05:49:08 AM »
Bingo, Harold.

Not to mention the fact that the ice cream is available ONLY in the United States.

They didn't put the picture of some shell shocked Brit soldier with a slapjack and a Webley on the side of the container, either.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dannyboy

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 05:49:49 AM »
A black and tan is an absolute waste of Guinness, especially if made with Bass.  Guinness is the nectar of the gods and should not be contaminated in such fashion.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 09:37:10 AM »
"A black and tan is an absolute waste of Guinness, especially if made with Bass.  Guinness is the nectar of the gods and should not be contaminated in such fashion."

Agreed. If one must contaminate a Guinness they should do it with a shot of Jameson and Bailey's dropped in.  MMMM, Irish Car Bomb.

Recent intel indicates that there are excellent Irish pubs with excellent Irish female staff in Palma, Spain. Had Sunday Roast and Guinness there for Easter.  Seen people get cranky when some dumb sailor orders a Black & Tan in one too.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 10:08:14 AM »
French G.

I will try your concoction in exactly 3 hours.  I will report back, if I am able.  Tongue

PS:  Is that a glass of Guinness and one shot of Jameson and another shot of Bailey's?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Dannyboy

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 10:27:02 AM »
Quote from: French G.
Agreed. If one must contaminate a Guinness they should do it with a shot of Jameson and Bailey's dropped in.  MMMM, Irish Car Bomb.
Yup.  Don't do too many of those these days, though.  Many baaad memories.  Or should I say, a lack thereof, if you know what I mean.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »
Mmmmm....  Irish Car Bombs.  And Black and Tans.  But those carbombs gotta be the smoothest alcoholic beverage I have ever tried.

Oh, how delicious.  But oh, those bring up some bad St. Patty's day memories.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2006, 12:14:01 PM »
You have to be stupid, very stupid, to try and sell a product
with that name in Ireland
Guiness (an Irish company) does in fact advertise the "Black and Tan" mixed beverage under that same name in Ireland since both of the ingrediants of either recipe (Bass or Harps) are either made or imported by their company. Why hasnt anyone been complaining about this?

BTW, the Ben and Jerries ice cream flavor is meant to mimic the taste of the above mentioned beverage, so the name seems pretty appropriate.

Dannyboy

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 12:54:52 PM »
Quote from: c_yeager
Guiness (an Irish company) does in fact advertise the "Black and Tan" mixed beverage under that same name in Ireland since both of the ingrediants of either recipe (Bass or Harps) are either made or imported by their company. Why hasnt anyone been complaining about this?
I think it's probably akin to the use of the "N" word.  When used by blacks it's OK.  When used by anyone else, it's just wrong.  Guinness, being an Irish company, can use the phrase "black and tan," while Ben and Jerry's cannot because they are American, and therefore have no knowledge of how offensive that phrase can be.

grampster

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 04:22:02 PM »
Ok, I'm home.  The Guiness and Jameson and Bailey's tasted like $&!% and I substituted a Jameson Manhattan up, and I was happy.  So much for drink advice.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »
How many American beers are called black & tan?

I think Michelobe has one, and there are others I've seen on the shelves, as well. Why not an uproar over those?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 05:39:44 PM »
The Guiness and Jameson and Bailey's tasted like $&!%
Blaspheomy!

Well, I suppose everyone has to have somethign they don't like.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Dannyboy

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »
Quote from: grampster
Ok, I'm home.  The Guiness and Jameson and Bailey's tasted like $&!% and I substituted a Jameson Manhattan up, and I was happy.  So much for drink advice.
Well, duh!  Everyone knows you're supposed to use Bushmill's.Cheesy

Antibubba

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2006, 09:17:10 PM »
You'd think B & J would've learned a few years ago after the fiascos from their "Stazi Chip" and "Heil Huckleberry".
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

gunsmith

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 09:39:23 PM »
No your not supposed to use Bushmills!
The Real Irish Whiskey is Jameson.
I may only be an Irish American but I
did live in Ireland for two years in the beautifull hills of west Cork.
Whiskey was invented a long time ago in County Cork and they do it better
than that Bushmills a whiskey imitator  from Northern Ireland that doesn't ever
even hire Irish Catholics.

If your in the birth place of Whiskey (County Cork in Ireland)
you drink Jamson or Bunratty...unless of course you've won
a fair bit on the races...then you splurge on
Midleton very rare...I've been sober for ten years...I not talking about this any longer.

btw the only reference to black and tans I heard in Ireland included swear words
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 11:12:32 PM »
Psssttt....

You Irish Whiskey drinkers out there, I've got a pleasant surprise for you.

It's called RedBreast 12yr Pure Pot Still, about $40 a bottle, distilled at Midleton. I won't touch a drop of Jameson's or Bushmill's any more, nor that stuff from Scotland...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2006, 03:34:01 AM »
Drools...must ignore...must ignore.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2006, 06:09:20 AM »
It looks like I'm the only one here who thinks that panther piss would be preferable to drinking scotch, any kind of scotch.

BillBlank

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2006, 11:53:12 AM »
Mike you're wrong, just wrong ok? Accept it and move on.

The version of the "car bomb" that I was introduced to involved the shots being in a shot glass and the glass being dropped into the pint glass of guinness. Even a pussy like myself managed a sub ten second time with that combination. Try that grampster.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

doczinn

• friend
Oh for the love of God!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »
I'm with you, Mike.
D. R. ZINN