Author Topic: thought of a great idea (teachers' opinions welcome)  (Read 3014 times)

General Geoff

thought of a great idea (teachers' opinions welcome)
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:05:58 AM »
I've been considering it, and think that it would be an overall benefit to society if public school dropped mandatory advanced math classes for ECON classes, or even better, make four years of economics a requirement for graduating high school.

Too few of our young minds have absolutely no idea how to manage finances, and for good reason: Nobody teaches them! When I was in high school, we had a paltry 1/2 year of Econ. I learned a lot in that 1/2 year, but I can't help but think how much more I'd have learned, had it been a full year course, or better, several years. At the very least I think Alg2 should be replaced with Economics, and I think Trig should be too. Not to say they shouldn't be available to take for those who want it, but I think Econ is more important as a whole.

What do you guys think?

HankB

• friend
Re: thought of a great idea (teachers' opinions welcome)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
Replacing harder math courses with what are essentially easier math courses isn't a step forward . . . I mean, basic math courses let you compute things like compound interest, the time value of money, loan repayment, and so forth. Things like profit margins, the law of supply and demand, marginal tax rates, and mordida should naturally come from the social studies courses and life experience.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

General Geoff

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 11:31:42 AM »
They should, but they don't. If I'm any indicator, I've forgotten pretty much everything I learned in Alg2, which was the most advanced course I took in high school. I remember just about everything I was taught in Econ, though, because I use that knowledge often.

And I don't think it's replacing harder courses with easier ones. I think it's replacing more obscure maths with more useful ones.

Strings

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 01:32:40 PM »
I have to agree with the idea: what "higher math" I took, I've pretty much forgotten. But actually learning in school (as opposed to "in life", later) how different aspects of the economy work would have been invaluable...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 01:41:42 PM »
I would accept trading cal2, advanced algebra, and trig for more in-depth accounting, geometry, personal finance courses.  But only if the curriculum was intense and involved.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »
Works great for those not going on to school past high school.  Not so great for anyone going on to math/science/engineering programs after high school.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »
Who will teach it, though?

Are they going to bring in successful brokers to teach it?

Or is it going to be taught by public school teachers who are financially illiterate themselves in never having done investments?

Sort of like the old thing about why you'd listen to a guidance counselor who's making $30k a year and has an office the size of a broom closet.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »
Sort of like the old thing about why you'd listen to a guidance counselor who's making $30k a year and has an office the size of a broom closet.

Not everyone's motivated by a fat paycheck and a large office.

I consistently turn down offers that would take time away from my daughter. Plus, three days a week off is pretty nice. grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 04:31:05 AM »

Or is it going to be taught by public school teachers who are financially illiterate themselves in never having done investments?

Successful brokers? Why would a public school bring in capitalist swine that may not even have graduated from teacher's college?

Seriously, you ask a pretty good question . . . which remided me of a Rodney Dangerfield movie called "Back To School" or something of the sort. Rodney was a self-made multi-millionaire, who went back to college to get a degree . . . his verbal clash with a clueless economics or business professor was hilarious.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 04:39:54 AM »
The scene with Kinison was pretty funny too...  cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 04:56:35 AM »

Don't make assumptions.  Lots of teachers invest towards retiring early and with more than just their pension.  There're two right in my building who have become pretty wealthy from investing.  I know it's a treasured meme on this board and at THR that public school teachers are all ignorant commies, but you're assuming facts that aren't in evidence.  There is much more to economics than investing in any case.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 06:02:23 AM »
My civics courses in high school included section on money management and doing your taxes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Chris

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 06:12:13 AM »
Don't make assumptions.  Lots of teachers invest towards retiring early and with more than just their pension.  There're two right in my building who have become pretty wealthy from investing.  I know it's a treasured meme on this board and at THR that public school teachers are all ignorant commies, but you're assuming facts that aren't in evidence.  There is much more to economics than investing in any case.

+1 big time.  One of the best investors I know is a school teacher at a public school.  Teaches science, and coaches soccer and track.  He wanted to be a teacher, and spends his "three month vacation" working so he can straight invest his summer school salary.

As to teh general subject, teaching these classes isn't going to solve the problem.  What we're talking about isn't a lack fo education creating the problems, it's a lack of common sense.  Common sense should tell you that if you earn $40,000 a year and have a wife at home with 4 kids, you cannot afford a $300,000 home, two new cars, and credit card bills from eating dinner out 4 nights a week.  Yet, I know someone in that exact position headed towards bankruptcy because he didn't use his common sense. 

Look at the college kids.  Off at school with little or no income.  Give them some plastic, and watch them run up huge cell phone bills, download hunderds of dollars worth of music and movies, and then cry to mommy and daddy when the bill comes.

How do you teach common sense?

Paddy

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 06:27:34 AM »
Forget advanced math.  How many high school graduates can even do basic math?  Like making change for example.  Or pay a bill, or balance a checkbook?  You know, life skills that everybody uses.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 07:19:20 AM »
The scene with Kinison was pretty funny too...  cheesy

I was a scream Wink

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 07:37:56 AM »
You don't need to cut one class to institute another. Work harder! Many countries in Europe and Asia have highschool programs that routinely include a dozen mandatory subjects taught for multiple years. In comparison, the average US highschooler is a total ignoramus.

As to math classes, the current situation of the average highschool graduate is already abysmal. No need to cripple it further. All that talk about keeping well-paying jobs here and being more competitive to rebuild America, et cetera, et cetera, yet there are still people that advocate learning less, not more.  rolleyes

But, this is just one of the many consequences of endemic lack of responsible determined long-term leadership in this country.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 07:41:44 AM »
Professor (Sam Kinison)<discussing Korea>: "WHY DIDN'T WE CROSS THE 38th PARALLEL AND NUKE THOSE BASTARDS BACK INTO THE STONE AGE? HUH? WHY? SAY IT! SAY IT!

Mellon (Rodney Dangerfield) "Alright, I'll say it. BECAUSE TRUMAN WAS TOO MUCH OF A PUSSYWIMP TO SEND McARTHUR IN THERE, AND BLOW OUT THOSE COMMIE BASTARDS!"

Professor (Sam Kinison): "I like the way you think. I'm going to be keeping my eye on you."

grin
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
Not to nitpick, but I have taken undergrad and grad level econ courses, and they do not include household or personal financial management material.  I think that rather than advocating econ courses, the OP is advocating personal finance courses.  This may be called household economics or the like, but I think most people think of macro or micro economics when they hear 'econ courses'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 05:08:23 PM »
When I was a senior in high school,I took
a class called "bachelor knowhow".
It covered cooking,basic sewing,comparative shopping,
and basic bill paying/household budget.
It was actually a pretty good class.I think it was
only offered that one semester then got dropped.
I think it should be mandated! police