Author Topic: Thoughts on 6.8 SPC?  (Read 12985 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Thoughts on 6.8 SPC?
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:53:53 AM »
Alright, I'll probably take this over to THR as well, but I'm considering a 6.8 SPC upper for my AR.

I have only recently learned of this caliber and am intrigued.

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this cartridge for me to consider before I make the plunge?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
Re: Thoughts on 6.8 SPC?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:13:05 AM »
The cartridge is a lot like a .223/5.56 necked up to .270.

Bullets are heavier than .223, with a bit of velocity loss. Still, it hits harder than .223, especially if you're comparing milspec ammo in both calibers.

With softpoint ammo, it makes a better big game (i.e., deer) round than .223.

Ammo is much, MUCH less common than .223. Ask for 6.8 SPC ammo in many sporting goods stores, and you'll get a blank look. (Uh . . . I guess with today's hiring practices, you can get the same blank look if you ask for .22 rimfire, but I think you know what I'm getting at.)

Bottom line, from a ballistic standpoint, there's nothing wrong with the round; but due to availability issues, I have reservations about it's practicality. If you want to hunt/plink with an AR and will provide your own ammo 'way in advance of your needing it, fine.

But for a "go-to" rifle in case of trouble (civil unrest, zombie swarms, whatever) I personally see little advantage over .223; not being in the military, I'm not bound by the Hague Accords in ammo choice, so I'm confident that the .223 ammo I'd use would work just fine. And .223/5.56 ammo is VERY  common. So I don't see a 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or anything of the sort showing up in my gun safe anytime soon.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:24:49 AM »
I haven't had any issues fining ammo for mine.  The problem I've had is finding magazines.  Personally, I like the 6.8 better than the .223/5.56 rounds.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
I had assumed the 6.8 used the same magazines and .223. Bad assumption? Are there other (upper, lower, etc) differences I'm not aware of too?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:42:46 AM »
I had assumed the 6.8 used the same magazines and .223. Bad assumption? Are there other (upper, lower, etc) differences I'm not aware of too? I had assumed the only difference was probably chamber, and recoil/buffer spring.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:44:42 AM »
Logistics aside, It's probably one of the best options for the AR15, but it's not without pitfalls. Remington screwed up the chamber dimensions when they submitted it to SAAMI, so you should be looking for either a SPC2 or DMR chamber. Fortunately, DPMS and Model 1 Sales are the only ones still using the SAAMI chamber. Most manufacturers use the same blanks that were intended for the 270 Winchester, a 1:10 6 groove. These work, but a 1:11 through 1:13 with 3 or 4 grooves will lower the chamber pressure and allow higher velocities. Also, your upper and barrel extension need to have M4 feed ramps. The only different parts are the barrel, bolt, and magazines. All other parts are the same as 5.56. If I was looking for one now, I'd get on the list at Titan Armory

For ammo, stay away from Remington, it's anemic and not accurate. I've heard that if you pull the bullets, reweigh the charges, then reseat and crimp them they are much better, I don't think it's worth the effort though. Remington also lists the velocity from a 26" barrel, and it's still slower than standard ammo from SSA from a 16" barrel, and they have hotter loads they will sell you if you have a SPC2 or DMR chamber. There is brass available for both large and small primers, Large will deliver a higher velocity, while small will have a more consistent velocity with a smaller extreme spread.

Magazines are available from PRI, Barrett, and C Products, with C Products supplying OEM mags to companies like Stag, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. There is talk of another magazine group buy at http://68forums.com/, you might want to sign up there. The last group buy was in December, and they were able to deliver mags when I couldn't find them anywhere.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.8-mm-spc-cartridge-history-development-hornady-stag-arms-carbine/
http://www.yuntaa.com/FileManager/DownloadAuthentication.aspx?download=&ContentID=56219979A4A26D6FE04400144FB7B71E
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Here's my 6.8:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:48:23 AM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:46:11 AM »
I had assumed the 6.8 used the same magazines and .223. Bad assumption? Are there other (upper, lower, etc) differences I'm not aware of too? I had assumed the only difference was probably chamber, and recoil/buffer spring.

In my research, so far I have found that people suggest a different magazine. Using 6.8 SPC in a .223/5.56 magazine will cause the mag to expand at the top and become unusable. The rounds can fit into the .223 magazine, but not well. Jamming will occur after a few rounds.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:53:51 AM »
That is what I had heard on the mags.  223 mags will work, but not reliably. 

My uncle has a Mini14 in 6.8 that he was given.  He said it shoots straight and he likes it a lot.  He is a ranch manager though so I guess a Ranch Rifle fits nicely. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 10:06:33 AM »
The cartridge is a lot like a .223/5.56 necked up to .270.

It's nothing at all like that. The 6.8 SPC is based off the 30 Remington (rimless 30-30),  shortened to 43mm, and necked down to .277

You can load about 3 or 4 rounds of 6.8 SPC into a 5.56 mag before it jams.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »
It's nothing at all like that. The 6.8 SPC is based off the 30 Remington (rimless 30-30),  shortened to 43mm, and necked down to .277

You can load about 3 or 4 rounds of 6.8 SPC into a 5.56 mag before it jams.
My bad . . . I was thinking length, and forgot the case is about 0.05 larger in diameter, for additional powder capacity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »
One issue is that the case length severely limits the bullet profile you can use. Because of the necessarily short bullet length, you aren't able to use bullets with a very good ballistic coefficient. Long range work suffers accordingly.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 11:17:21 AM »
Any thoughts on the 6.5 grendel?

I am very partial to the 6.5mm rounds out there.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »
I love the grendel. If I was gonna do a boutique caliber in an AR that'd be it. Very efficient design, with vld's very very good long range performance etc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »
While it's true the 6.5 has bullets available that have a better BC, that's not that great of an advantage when you have a handicap of 200-300 fps from the same length barrel. Lets compare apples to apples:

6.5 Grendel Lapua Senecar 123gr BC of .574
6.8spc Nosler Accubond 110gr BD of .410

If you If you look at the 600 yard data, the 6.8SPC has 7" more wind drift with 9" less drop. It has less energy at that range, but how much do you realistically need to poke a hole in paper at that range? 1.5 MOA at that range is not a significant difference.

If you change the 6.5 bullet from a match bullet to a hunting bullet, the numbers tilt significantly in the favor of 6.8 SPC:

6.5 Grendel Nosler 120gr BC of .458

At 600 yards, the Nosler 6.8SPC has 18" less drop, and 1" less wind drift than the 6.5 Grendel. If you want to compare velocity from a 24" barrel instead of a 16", please note that the 6.8SPC is capable of 2900 fps at that length, still 200 fps more than the Grendel.

In the end, they are more alike than they are different. If you are only shooting at paper, by all means, get a 24" H-bar Grendel and poke as many holes with those $44/box bullets as your wallet will allow. If your target is made of meat, neither one has enough energy past 300 yards to allow for an ethical hunting shot (Yes, I know Elk have been taken at ~400 yards with both, but IMO, neither one of those should have pulled the trigger). I went with 6.8SPC for the shorter lighter barrel, much more commonly available parts and components, better terminal ballistics inside 300 yards, and lack of bolt problems.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
I think of the 6.8 as a "pocket .270".....not real interested in it on the AR platform....but in a lightweight bolt-action carbine, it could give the .243Win a run for its money.....

If I want more punch in an AR platform, I'd choose an AR-10....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 10:07:56 PM »
I'm building a 6.8 SPC AR-15 at this time.  Got one in .223 and wanted one in the 6.8 so I joined the group buy on THR.US.  Getting the barrel from ER Shaw and a YHM flat top upper.

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=403454

Shopping for brass, bullets and such while the barrel is getting manufactured. 

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »
I'm building a 6.8 SPC AR-15 at this time.  Got one in .223 and wanted one in the 6.8 so I joined the group buy on THR.US.  Getting the barrel from ER Shaw and a YHM flat top upper.

This is actually one of the first things I did when I moved to VA.  I built mine on a DPMS lower with a Bushmaster parts kit, a Magpul UBR stock, and topped it off with a Rock River upper.  I swapped out the trigger and got a smokin deal on an EOTech from work.  Really happy with it.  I just don't feel like spending $40 a pop for 6.8 magazines right now.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 10:19:24 PM »
I would go with a .260 and leave all those .277 bullets for me. =D
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 10:30:57 PM »

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=403454

Shopping for brass, bullets and such while the barrel is getting manufactured. 

Please let me know how the ER Shaw barrel works- I'm very interested.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
On a more serious side I have used E R Shaw before with very good results. But I would still look at .260.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 07:43:07 AM »
I just don't feel like spending $40 a pop for 6.8 magazines right now.

You don't have to

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 10:25:46 AM »
You don't have to

Sweet!  Thanks.  I'm not sure how I ever missed that site.  Found a few cheap 25 rnd mags and even some cheaper 15 rnd P228 mags.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »
Linky no worky.

It forces a registration and log-in just to see it.

Umm, no thanks.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 04:10:17 PM »
Keeps out the rif-raf that way.  =D

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 04:12:20 PM »
That's cool.

I'm more interested in the 6.5 Grendel, or building a 6.5 SPC wildcat, myself.

I have a spare pre-'94 Olympic Arms lower sitting in the gun safe doing nothing in particular...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"