Author Topic: Thoughts on .300 Win Mag vs 7mm Rem Mag?  (Read 5982 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Thoughts on .300 Win Mag vs 7mm Rem Mag?
« on: October 24, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
For general purpose hunting (elk/moose/bear/longer range deer etc) as well as long range shooting, which would you go with and why? .300 is more versatile in terms of projectile weight and has more common brass, 7mm is generally regarded as lighter kicking. Thoughts?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Thoughts on .300 Win Mag vs 7mm Rem Mag?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
Lighter kicking means a great deal to me unless you have a good muzzle break. 

I assume since you mention these calibers that you aren't talking about 100 yard shooting. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »
Both of them have recoil greater than a .30-06. Neither is for an inexperienced medium bore rifle shooter.

I shoot a 7.5# Model 70 in .300 WM. SomBitch kicks like a mule but I killed a pronghorn with it at 429 yards and 317 yards.

I like the 300wm because of the heavier bullet options over the 7mm. I currently shoot 165g Hornady sst at 3100 fps, but I'm probably going to change to 180g Barnes TSX BT because I'll start drawing elk tags as soon as next fall.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still take the 300 over the 7mm just because of the versatileness of the .308 bullet.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
Define "long range."

If you really want to get into long range shooting, meaning out to 1500 yards or so, 7mmRM when loaded with VLD projectiles, has damned near identical velocity and BC to .338 Lapua offerings.  Very cost effective training platform to learn to shoot 4-digit distances prior to buying a tacktikul snyper or hard target interdiction rifle.  I've heard that Secret Service uses 7mmRM for overwatch.

500 yards, it won't matter much.

As a hunting gun, I'd rather have the mass and frontal surface area available in the projectile that the .30 caliber offers.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
Also moose and bear are not normally shot at long ranges.

Moose due to the thick habitat they live in, and black bears for much of the same reason. Nothing says you can't spot and stalk and shoot one in a clearing on the other ridge.

I'm going to assume you aren't hunting grizz since there is no open season in the lower 48. Grizz is sometimes shot from longer distances in open river bottoms in Alaska.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:34:07 PM »
Assuming you're using appropriate loads, I doubt that any animal you hunt will be able to tell the difference between being hit by a .300 Win Mag or a 7mm Rem mag . . .

Or, for that matter, a .30/06. All are fine cartridges and suitable for the game you mention.

The 7 shoots a little faster and flatter than an '06, but with a smaller bullet - and the heaviest commonly available slug is 175 grains.

The .300 is like shooting a .30/06 from around 150 yards (give or take) closer to your target; same bullets, roughly 7 - 10% more velocity. Bullet weights up to 220 grains are commonly available.

If the .300 and 7mm were my choices, I'd go with the .300 for its versatility and the availability of both heavier hunting bullets and greater variety of match bullets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
Neither.
...7mm is generally regarded as lighter kicking. Thoughts?

Yeah, kinda like Sugar Ray Leonard punches a little lighter than Mike Tyson.  It really doesn't matter because it's going to hurt like hell either way.   :rofl:

On the serious side, .300 and 7mm Mag are great calibers and you won't go wrong with either.  Just understand that both are bruisers.  A little on the stiff side for a GP gun, IMO, and cartridges are expensive compared to something more mundane like a .308 or .30-06.  For a GP rifle I personally don't think you get enough additional performance out of a 300 mag versus a hot .30-06 to justify the added expense or sore shoulder.  Until you start stepping out way past most hunting distances, or need an absolutely reliable one-shot kill for critters who might just turn around and eat you if only wounded, I'd recommend getting something that whacks you a little less and is a lot cheaper to feed.

As has been mentioned, under 500 yards the ballistic differences are negligible in the real world.  When you have two cartridges so closely matched, playing with bullet weights and powder charges can make more difference than any inherent property of the caliber.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Why the affliction of Magnumitis?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »

^^ This also, if I may contribute to APS thread veer.

My inclination, if I ever get to hunt anything larger than Arizona elk, is to go to a larger diameter projectile if presented with moose/buffalo/griz or big african game.  I've heard that stepping up to .270-.300 caliber magnums results in a lot of bloodshot meat and shattered bone.  The larger diameter, slower moving, flat meplat bullets yield a cleaner kill and less temporary wound cavity. 

Hunting a big critter, I'd rather have a .338-06 than a 7mmRM.  Frankly, I'd much rather have a .45/70, .450 marlin or comparable cartridge, but in conventional bolt action bottlenecks, I'd still go bigger and slower for hunting.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 02:17:50 PM »
^^ This also, if I may contribute to APS thread veer.

My inclination, if I ever get to hunt anything larger than Arizona elk, is to go to a larger diameter projectile if presented with moose/buffalo/griz or big african game.  I've heard that stepping up to .270-.300 caliber magnums results in a lot of bloodshot meat and shattered bone.  The larger diameter, slower moving, flat meplat bullets yield a cleaner kill and less temporary wound cavity. 

Hunting a big critter, I'd rather have a .338-06 than a 7mmRM.  Frankly, I'd much rather have a .45/70, .450 marlin or comparable cartridge, but in conventional bolt action bottlenecks, I'd still go bigger and slower for hunting.

I've never had a problem with bloodshot meat with my 300wm. Shooting deer with 12 gauge slugs (slow heavy bullet) has inflicted more ruined meat then shooting them with a high power.

I also want to break bones, it sucks having to track poorly shot animal, really heart breaking when you shoot a Booner deer in the shoulder and doesn't break bone and the animal walks off and enters a wildlife refuge. Piss poor bullet choice on my part with my MZL, it still bothers me to think about it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 04:10:46 PM »
. . . My inclination, if I ever get to hunt anything larger than Arizona elk, is to go to a larger diameter projectile if presented with moose/buffalo/griz or big african game . . .
IMHO, the .30/06 is a good choice for all non-dangerous, thin-skinned game worldwide with the possible exceptions of eland and giraffe. Aside from deer I've used mine with excellent results on warthog, Kafue lechwe, impala, kudu, zebra, wildebeest, gemsbok, and leopard, at ranges up to 400+ yards. For larger game, I'd go to a larger cartridge; in my case, I skipped over the .338s and went right to .375 H&H.

I've never had a problem with bloodshot meat with my 300wm. Shooting deer with 12 gauge slugs (slow heavy bullet) has inflicted more ruined meat then shooting them with a high power.
The .300 WM doesn't gain all that much velocity over a .30/06. A 300 yard shot with a .300 will hit roughly like a 150 yard shot from a .30/06; doubt a deer will tell the difference, and I wouldn't expect huge amounts of bloodshot meat.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »

The .300 WM doesn't gain all that much velocity over a .30/06. A 300 yard shot with a .300 will hit roughly like a 150 yard shot from a .30/06; doubt a deer will tell the difference, and I wouldn't expect huge amounts of bloodshot meat.

400-500fps is not a lot?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »

Seems like fun, and there are lots of them available pretty cheaply at the moment in my local area? I have no real need for one, but if I can rtade into it or get it for a bargain why not?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
My thoughts, and possibly just mine.

If just for hunting, which is only a few shots a year, get whatever will be most affordable, both in gun and ammo. If you can find one for sale already scoped, so much the better.

If you plan on doing a lot of target/recreational shooting, I would go for the one with most affordable and available ammo, in case you don't want to reload. If you get serious, and start doing matches, and want to reload, I would go with the one with the largest selection of bullets to try.

I have nothing against either one of those rounds, but I was able to pick up a 308 Norma Mag for a song, so I am turning that into a long range shooter. My biggest issue right now is getting the brass. I have resisted turning the 338 Win Mag into brass for it, but if my order doesn't come through soon, I may have to do that.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »
Seems like fun, and there are lots of them available pretty cheaply at the moment in my local area? I have no real need for one, but if I can rtade into it or get it for a bargain why not?

Go ahead shoot one from the bench 20 or 30 times in a row, you may change your mind on magnum high power.

I'm actually thinking about a model 70 in 270 win for off season practicing and only using the 300 for hunting.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 07:39:10 PM »
Recoil on my 7MM doesn't bother me, but I'm not all that recoil sensitive in general. I took a long range rifle class with it a few years ago where I threw over 300 rounds downrange and was fine at the end of the day. I've had the opportunity to shoot both a .300 and .338 Win. Only a few rounds through each, but surprisingly to me, the .338 had less felt recoil, or at least not as sharp.

All that said, my .308 is my favorite hunting rifle. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
400-500fps is not a lot?
HOW much? Let's see what the manufacturers claim:

Winchester .30/06 180 grain Ballistic Silvertip: 2750 ft/sec
Winchester 300 Win Mag 180 grain Ballistic Silvertip: 2950 ft/sec
That's the normal spread, about 200 ft/sec.

Looking at higher performance ammo:

Hornady .30.06 180 grain SST Superformance: 2820 ft/sec
Hornady .300 Win Mag 180 grain SST Superformance: 3130 ft/sec
That's a bit more spread, 310 ft/sec.

Handloads? The highest velocity Hodgdon lists for a 180 in the .30/06 is 2840 ft/sec; for the .300 WinMag, it's 3042, 202 ft/sec. edge to the Mag.

I'm not seeing a spread of 400-500 ft/sec with a serious bullet weight.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »
Go ahead shoot one from the bench 20 or 30 times in a row, you may change your mind on magnum high power.

I'm actually thinking about a model 70 in 270 win for off season practicing and only using the 300 for hunting.

I don't really like shooting off a bench. Field positions usually seem less of an issue with recoil.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 09:49:48 PM »
HOW much? Let's see what the manufacturers claim:

Winchester .30/06 180 grain Ballistic Silvertip: 2750 ft/sec
Winchester 300 Win Mag 180 grain Ballistic Silvertip: 2950 ft/sec
That's the normal spread, about 200 ft/sec.

Looking at higher performance ammo:

Hornady .30.06 180 grain SST Superformance: 2820 ft/sec
Hornady .300 Win Mag 180 grain SST Superformance: 3130 ft/sec
That's a bit more spread, 310 ft/sec.

Handloads? The highest velocity Hodgdon lists for a 180 in the .30/06 is 2840 ft/sec; for the .300 WinMag, it's 3042, 202 ft/sec. edge to the Mag.

I'm not seeing a spread of 400-500 ft/sec with a serious bullet weight.

I get ~3120 with a 180g bullet. My Hodgdon book shows 2600-2800 for 180 in 30-06. So that is 300-400.

If I max out the 165g I can get ~3300 fps out of my rifle, My Hodgdon book shows 2650-2950 for the 165g loads. There is your 400-500+fps.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 10:05:10 PM »
I'd suggest working up decent loads with that .270 of yours, and learning what its capabilities are, before going the magnum route.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
I don't really like shooting off a bench. Field positions usually seem less of an issue with recoil.

Bench is the best way to zero a scope and see the accuracy of the load. Once I get zeroed I'm shooting how I would be when hunting, with a bipod, with sticks, off a backpack, against a tree, etc.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
Whippersnappers and their fancy new fangled smokeless powder magnums ;/

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »
Whippersnappers and their fancy new fangled smokeless powder magnums ;/

Who are you calling a whippersnapper? I hunt with a muzzleloader for much of the Iowa deer seasons. You and your self contained cartridges. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »

I knew I liked you for some reason or other. :-*
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 11:28:41 PM »
So I start a what gun to buy thread and ya'll tell me not to? I don't know what the internet is coming to...  :O  =D

And ftr, working on the .270 and playing with a loudenboomer are not mutually exclusive. This is a whim and I'm in no hurry though.