Author Topic: Those movies always finding the answer in ancient manuscripts...  (Read 1486 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Things like Stargate, thinking that the answers to today's problems can be found in ancient manuscripts. Total bullocks!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27263-anglo-saxon-remedy-kills-hospital-superbug-mrsa.html#.VRr1YPnF8ep
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:05:12 AM by adively »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Those movies always finding the answer in ancient manuscripts...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
That is pretty darned cool.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
Why would they need/want to sterilize the cooper vessel, seeing as how the Anglo-Saxons didn't?

(Of course, I'm thinking that there may have been "something" in/on the vessel that was the real agent.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
Why would they need/want to sterilize the cooper vessel, seeing as how the Anglo-Saxons didn't?

(Of course, I'm thinking that there may have been "something" in/on the vessel that was the real agent.)

stay safe.
Same reason the Romans didn't see the need to sterilize their tools before sawing the top of your head off or poking needles into your eyes.

Just because they got it doesn't mean they had all the finer points...
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »

Just because they got it doesn't mean they had all the finer points...

Perfection - the deadly enemy of good enough.

And given the state of the "art" of medicine, good enough is more than acceptable in most cases.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:17:20 PM »
Finding the answer in ancient manuscripts - hmmmm. I hear some folks do that every Sunday morning.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
"Of course, I'm thinking that there may have been "something" in/on the vessel that was the real agent."

Leeks and garlic, even today's varieties, contain sulphur compounds that are known to have strong antibacterial properties. Copper also has anti-microbial properties... I've heard of copper sulphate preparations being used to treat minor skin infections.

Why they become so much more potent when left to stew? That's interesting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
"Of course, I'm thinking that there may have been "something" in/on the vessel that was the real agent."

Leeks and garlic, even today's varieties, contain sulphur compounds that are known to have strong antibacterial properties. Copper also has anti-microbial properties... I've heard of copper sulphate preparations being used to treat minor skin infections.

Why they become so much more potent when left to stew? That's interesting.

It was particularly interesting how it was self-sterilizing. The stew began with bacteria in it and after the 9 day...

Ok, I was just finding out whether it was simply waiting or fermentation going on, so I clicked the link.

Well done, Mods. Well done.   :laugh:
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:29:51 PM »
Well, it's a well-known fact that he kills everything around him...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
What is bullocks gall, and are we sure taking it is better than being sick?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »
It's a digestive enzyme, bile, essentially, from the gallbladder of a bullock.

It's sold in health food stores today as a supplement.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »
People pay money for that stuff?  And then eat it?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
People who have had their gallbladder removed take it to help with the digestion of fatty meals. Better some cow-derived pills than explosive diarrhea. I had my gallbladder out last December, but haven't had issues frequently enough to try taking bile salt supplements yet.