Author Topic: Coolant Woes (99 Ranger)  (Read 2423 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Coolant Woes (99 Ranger)
« on: January 23, 2008, 04:40:01 PM »
A few days ago, the heat quit working on my '99 Ranger and the temperature gauge started fluttering all over the place.  The coolant looked like chocolate milk, so I brought it in for a coolant flush and checkup.  $286 bought me a pressure test, a replacement radiator cap, a replacement thermometer, and the flush.  Unfortunately, 20 minutes down the road from the mechanic the heat quit out again and the temperature gauge buried the needle in the red for the rest of my drive home.

My mechanic told me that in the (unlikely, natch) event that the problem returned that I may need a new head gasket.  Any idea how much that might set me back?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Paddy

Re: Coolant Woes (99 Ranger)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 04:50:57 PM »
Did you do any regular maintenance on this truck?  I also have a Ranger, but I keep it maintained, change the fluids regularly, etc.  I expect it to outlast me.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
3.0 liter or 4.0??

mfree

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
"buried the needle in the red for the rest of my drive home."

I will be extremely surprised if you haven't warped or cracked the heads.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:03:33 PM »
"buried the needle in the red for the rest of my drive home."

I will be extremely surprised if you haven't warped or cracked the heads.

Sounds like you have a lot of sediment in your coolant system. Radiator and heating core are plugged up.

Also you could just have a bad temperature sensor.

I hope for the later because if the the 1st is right then your head is probably f-ed.

Blown head gasket is probably going to cost $800-1000 if a shop does it, $100-$150 if you do it yourself.

Warped/Cracked head is going to be closer to $1500 depending upon the cost of the parts, I can't recall what a head costs these days for a inline Ford.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:35 PM »
"buried the needle in the red..."

That's nature's way of saying PULL OVER AND SHUT THE CAR OFF...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 11:38:25 PM »
$286 bought me a pressure test, a replacement radiator cap, a replacement thermometer, and the flush.

shocked shocked shocked

You got hosed on that work, no pun intended.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 04:53:51 AM »
Riley, I last had the fluids checked in October of last year.

Big Jake, it's a 3.0.

Everyone else, thanks for the input.  DD, this is my normal guy, not to say he is never wrong but I do trust his judgment.

Charby, I just had the system flushed.  Do you think it could still be clogged up?

Mike, I know better than to drive a vehicle that is actually overheating, but I was more inclined to believe that the temperature gauge was simply wrong, as the evidence had indicated before I brought the truck in.

If the repairs will cost more than $1, then I'm going to see what I can get for it on a trade.  I have neither the time or inclination to attempt the repair myself.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 05:04:08 AM »

Charby, I just had the system flushed.  Do you think it could still be clogged up?

Could have a bad thermostat also but your heat would be hot as hell in the cab.

Flushing can move deposits around and plug up other things. How many miles did your coolant have before you had it flushed.

Also environmental disposal rates are expensive for shops, hence why some of the prices are high on relatively easy services.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 05:24:24 AM »
What does your oil look like? Is it foamy? From the symptoms you've posted, chocolate milk, high temp readings I would say you most likely do have a head or head gasket gone.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »
How many miles on it???

Take off the oil fill cap - Whatsit look like in there? - Foamy, gray?  if it's below 20 degrees you'll get some condensation and grayness, but frothy oil and significant build up on the filler neck and cap is indicative of two-way flow oil to antifreeze / anti-freeze to oil.

Significant = more than you'd wipe off with a finger and rub on the interior of the engine compartment.

There are diagnostic snake oils (pep-boys, advance, etc) that can be added to a coolant sample to determine qualities of the contamination - hydrocarbons, oils, sediment, etc, but a sure diagnosis is a cylinder pressure test.  Different leakage patterns mean different things; eg rings, gaskets, slipped sleeves (where applicable).

Any combination of top end failures could result in your problem. 

This is more than a stuck thermostat,. 

Spiking the temp gauge doesn't always mean engine damage.  - Most big 3 temp gauges have 3 levels of movement - Cold- Normal - Overheat.  Stock gauges move to pinned at 240 Fahrenheit, more or less.

THE GOOD NEWS - if it's fixed, and done correctly and carefully, your truck may have another 100km 100,000 miles in it, but if it's a sloppy job or done partially, it's new headaches every few months.  Cost depends on level of damage.  My greatest personal concern would be oil contamination and reduced lubricity of the oil, Bottom ends are expensive.

THE BAD NEWS - you may be able to use this to justify a new automobile. 

ALSO, a used engine is an option, that may be less $$$ than chasing the problem. 

Last word  -  get a compression test from a good automotive diagnostician.

Soakers, motorhead

7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 07:28:04 AM »
your truck may have another 100km in it

A hundred kilometers ...?  That doesn't sound very good Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 08:50:41 AM »
Wow, you guys actually read my posts!?!?!

Edited....
100km = 100 k m = 100k miles = 100,000 miles

my oops.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »
It is possible the motor is not killed yet. As mentioned if the oil is frothy and an off-white mix instead of oil, you're done. Likewise you can get a head gasket, head, or block to leak from the water jacket to the cylinder so it wouldn't necessarily show up in the oil. It will show up if you fill up with water, leave the radiator cap off and run the motor. Bubbles coming back means compression is pushing into the coolant. If a head was cracked in an intake runner you won't see that, but sweet smelling exhaust, a wet spark plug that smells sweet may indicate your coolant is going into the cylinder with the odd looking or smelling plug.
That is just damage assessment though.

Right now you have zero coolant flow. Your temp gauge is not faulty, it means the water at the top of your motor is that hot. Your radiator is probably cool and your heater core is obviously dead cold because there is no water moving through them. Check the return hose to the radiator(top hose), if it is not pressurized and hot the thermostat is not opening. If it is hot and the lower hose or lower area of the radiator is cool then the radiator is plugged. This assumes you have a working water pump. Look for evidence of leakage at the pump, that the pulley is actually spinning. Also is the fan pulley driven or electric? Make sure it is working although with an inop fan your heater core would be hot as hell assuming everything else worked.

So first, get coolant flow in your engine, then run it to assess damge. You'd be suprised how long some cracked heads can go, especially with careful application of Bar's leak. I suspect the radiator. Did this vehicle ever sit inactive a lot? That plugs radiators quick. For expediency, remove the thermostat completely and replace the housing without one for now. Run the car. Does the temp act normal now? If so the thermostat was bad. If not it is most likely the radiator.

At this point if you run a garden hose into the radiator with the top hose removed water should gush out of the top hose coming from the motor. Put your hand over the top inlet to the radiator to force the water through the motor. If nothing is trying to come out of that top inlet to the radiator, there is your sign, that means no path between the fill cap and the inlet, also meaning no path between the inlet and the outlet where the motor picks up it's coolant.  With the radiator and motor full of water and top hose still off, start the motor. Water should pump out. If so, your water pump works. Reconnect the hose, fill with water and dump in two jars of Naval Jelly from the auto parts store. Run for 30 minutes if you can without overheating, if it gets hot, shut off and let cool, then repeat. After 30min. run, pull the top hose and repeat garden hose flush. All manner of *expletive deleted*it should come out. Do this treatment a couple more times working up to a little driving. When the temp acts normal replace water with proper coolant.

FYI, Naval Jelly is phosphoric acid and sold as a rust remover. Does wonders on all the oxide scale in an aluminum core radiator too. Not sure on terminology or your level of comfort with all things automotive but when you say thermometer I assume you mean sending unit and temp gage. The thermostat is a mechanical bi-metallic spring check valve that regulates water temp. It stays closed to help the engine get up to temp then the hot coolant opens it and fluid flow through the radiator commences to cool the motor. If it never opens you get no cooling and a cold heater core. A heater core can also be plugged but the rest of the cooling system should still function so if you have that problem it is not your primary one. Get a Haynes manual, this can be easy to fix yourself.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 08:02:08 AM »
Naval Jelly

Tee hee. 
Naval Jelly.

Excellent idea, running rust remover...  Never heard of it, but I like it, alot.  I'm gonna try it next time I flush a radiator (every 2-3 yrs, religiously)

BTW, I'll run the waste down the sanitary drain - Like a washtub or floor drain - not the storm sewer.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 05:32:07 AM »
Pretty weird symptoms...

Did you notice a lot of steam coming from your tailpipe? Not just the normal bit you get when starting up, but a continuous flow? If that's happening, you're getting coolant into one or more cylinders.

Before you start that engine again, you may want to check your cylinders for coolant. Pull your spark plugs one at a time and check for coolant. Coolant sitting on top of a piston (and it may be just one) is an easy way to destroy an engine.

A hot engine will tend to rattle and "diesel" (sounds like a diesel engine) on acceleration and particularly at shutdown.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 08:47:21 AM »
Thank you very much for all of the info.  I'm considering my options.  With a transfer case problem also on the horizon, I may be better off trading the truck in.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 02:43:58 PM »
Oh it's not that bad, I actually tore down my transfer case last winter and fixed it up.  What is the problem BTW?  drivelines.com will sell you a rebuild kit, Pep Boys will sell you a manual, have at it.

My daily driver is a '91 F150 that was (not!) maintained by a complete idiot before I got it. It became mine by default after I fixed it for the new owner, my wife. No oil pressure, literal inches of hard carbon inside the motor. After repeated diesel fuel in the crankcase treatments, pressure washing the inside of the motor, modifying the oil pan, changing the oil pump and a bunch of 50 mile oil changes it now runs good 30,000 miles later. I also learned that it is acceptable to put lug nuts on alloy wheels with no lube, let rigid brake lines corrode, let a tranfer case stay 1.5 quarts out of two capacity low, not check driveshaft cap bearings, and to let a disc brake piston run directly on the rotor.

Ah I love that previous owner. Insight on his brain, I have a big old .50 cal hole in the passenger door of this truck. From the inside out.  Seems previous owner liked to talk to his buddies or such while finger-banging his muzzleloader. (or would that be muzzleLOADED!) In fact, I think Gewehr's sig line sums that guy up. Of course my wife was asked by me to consult me before she bought anything. We were not yet married. She had her dad the woodworker find the truck.  sad

Or if you don't like fixing Fords as much as I do, just put a universal Ford repair kit in your glovebox. It's a combination screwdriver, 1 rag, and one bic lighter. When Found On the Roadside Dead, remove license plates with screwdriver, insert rag into gas fill spout, light and walk away.  grin

Seriously, get the Haynes manual and rip the thermostat out first. Replace housing without a thermostat for now, see if your problem goes away.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.