Author Topic: Coolest car ever...  (Read 7050 times)

jrfoxx

Re: Coolest car ever...
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 12:02:27 PM »
Very cool looking, but the thought of hacking up ANY Corvette makes me a little queezy though.... grin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 12:30:44 PM »
What are manual brakes?

but most of them ended up being used by moonshiners.

lol, are you serious?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 01:03:44 PM »
Manual brakes = no power assist.

Yes, according to Hemmings Muscle Car magazine, they were popular with moonshiners.  They were faster, lower and handled better than most full sized cars of the day, plus they had big trunks and a heavy duty rear suspension.  Seven leaf springs on each side, compared to four for the regular T-Bird.

Dope

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 05:03:12 AM »

Z-06 Corvette: Top end; 160+, Quarter mile E.T.; under 12 seconds.  Highway MPG; 26.

Z-06 Corvette: Midlife crisis car that won't kill people with dulled reflexes. Y'know a juiced 6cyl import can get past 160+ with an 11-second quarter mile, right? Hell, even some 4cyls can.

Dodge Viper: 186 - 192 mph, 4.0  - 4.2 sec, 450hp, 8.0 liters. It WILL kill you if you screw up, as any sports car will.

And Nissan's import Skyline GT-R is a 500hp V8. Also look at BMW's offerings.

Sorry. The Vette ain't all that anymore.

I'm sorry but I just had to post to correct some things here.

I want to mention that I love Dodge Vipers and think they are exceptionally fast sports cars. I will also mention that I still think the Corvette is THE iconic American sports car. I have been in the car "scene" for enough time that I wanted to post some of my observations.

I'm not sure where you're going with your argument about "juiced" imports. Any car can be made to go fast with enough money. A Ford Pinto will go 200mph if you dump enough cash into it. What does that prove in regards to Corvettes? It's a valid fact yes, but I don't see the point.

You mention that a Corvette is a midlife crisis car and in a lot of cases you're correct. However, you're using this fact to disparage it versus a Viper? A Viper is even MORE of a midlife crisis car. How many 20-somethings can afford a $90k Viper vs a $45k Corvette? If anything, I see at least twice as many whitehairs driving Vipers than I see driving Corvettes. Plus, Corvettes are very plentiful so that the used market is even more attractive for younger drivers (like me, who bought my first Corvette at 23).

You also mention that the Z06 Corvette is for someone with "dulled reflexes" so they won't kill themselves with it. Keep in mind, that the Z06 Corvette has 500hp and weighs several hundred pounds less than the Viper, but then you talk about the Viper with 450hp that "WILL kill you if you screw up." How does that make any sort of logical sense?

This is of course, ignoring the fact that Vipers haven't had 450hp in what, 5 years or more anyway? They were upgraded to 500hp in 2003-ish (don't feel like checking my facts) and very recently (this year or last) went to 600hp. Chevy has also come out with the ZR1 Corvette to put the Viper away at 638hp. Granted, it does cost a bit more than a Viper.

The logical pricing and performance breakdown is like this:

$45k - 430hp Corvette
$75k - 500hp Corvette Z06
$90k - 600hp Viper
$100k - 638hp Corvette ZR1

Anyway, I didn't want to post all day. I like the Viper a lot, it is fun to drive but unfortunately it wasn't very livable. When I was buying a new car in 2003 the Corvette won out. It's a more livable car:  better ride, better gas mileage, you don't burn your leg on the door sills (exhaust passes through them on the Viper), I can actually fit in them (more interior room, especially at the pedals!), etc.. Plus, I got very similar performance for half the price. Actually, my Corvette was faster than a stock Viper due to modifications I made (but still came in cheaper overall). Oh yeah, and Vipers sound like crap compared to a Corvette. It was pretty much a no brainer. They're both great cars, it's just that the Corvette has more options for price/performance and appeals to more people. It is THE American sports car of the last 55 years in my opinion.

Dope

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 05:53:59 AM »
Dope.

Welcome to our little corner of the internet.

I think you'll fit right in.
One day at a time.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 05:56:38 AM »
Give him/her time to get to know us first.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Dope

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 06:17:18 AM »
LOL I've actually been lurking a while but never posted. I'm from THR (and TFL and many, many more).

I try to live up to my name as much as possible.

Oh, and I AM a "MA hole" still. Nice to meet you Mr. Ex- Wink

Dope

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 06:19:52 AM »
My mom had a 1959 Belair for 7 years, so I am very familiar with that V-wing rear end. Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

macpherson

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
I hold no experience with sports cars in general, however I did read a car & driver last night  grin

That being said, I've read a lot of articles about the Viper and a lot of them praise it's sheer raw power, but have not been so eloquent in describing the ride.  Burning hot door panels, rough ride, and less-than-pleasant exhaust note, among other things.  I've heard that the corvette offers a better ride, and obviously is much more affordable, which means it is more accessible for the masses.  If I wanted a sporty daily driver as well as being able to drive it on the track, it seems like a corvette would be a more attractive choice.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 11:34:33 AM »
lol, it seems like this viper vs corvette talk is bringing out all the new people, Cheesy
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic