Author Topic: Cop drives into pedestrians, kills one  (Read 2812 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Cop drives into pedestrians, kills one
« on: July 18, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »
Out of drunkeness, apparently, and not as revenge. Interesting timing, given Baton Rouge, Dallas, and Nice.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/off-duty-nypd-cop-suv-strikes-pedestrians-death-williamsburg-brooklyn/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Cop drives into pedestrians, kills one
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »
Out of drunkeness, apparently, and not as revenge. Interesting timing, given Baton Rouge, Dallas, and Nice.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/off-duty-nypd-cop-suv-strikes-pedestrians-death-williamsburg-brooklyn/

As one of the commenters pointed out, the headline is interestingly worded to blame his SUV for doing that, as if he was a completely innocent bystander when Maximum Overdrive started.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:04:49 PM »
Cop with drinking problem causes major problem?

Why did this make national news? Oh, right... because the general population needs more reasons to go after LEO.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:25:42 AM »
As one of the commenters pointed out, the headline is interestingly worded to blame his SUV for doing that, as if he was a completely innocent bystander when Maximum Overdrive started.

So if in fact it was the SUV's fault where is the out cry to ban them?  No one needs a SUV.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
Batka was arrested on charges including manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter and driving while intoxicated.
No conviction yet, but it looks like he isn't being protected. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 06:39:30 AM »
No conviction yet, but it looks like he isn't being protected. 

Considering today's attitudes towards the police, he will probably get tried, convicted, sentenced, hanged, shot, burned, and quartered before Thanksgiving.  Of course, he will keep his job and pension because Union.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 07:35:16 AM »
Considering today's attitudes towards the police, he will probably get tried, convicted, sentenced, hanged, shot, burned, and quartered before Thanksgiving.  Of course, he will keep his job and pension because Union.

I have a friend who works for a small town upstate. The town is small enough that it doesn't have a police department -- they have a contract with the state to provide a couple of state troopers for patrol, supplemented by a couple of part-time local constables.

That is ... they used to have local constables. It seems that earlier this year one of the assigned troopers got drunk when off duty and crashed his state police cruiser into a tree. One of the local constables responded to the accident and "helped" the trooper by writing a report that attributed the accident to a deer jumping in front of the car, and conveniently omitted mention of driving under the influence.

I guess it unraveled when the state police garage looked at the damage and determined that the damage was not consistent with the report. The trooper was suspended (may have been fired, but my friend only knows that he's no longer assigned to that town), and the local constabulary was disbanded.

As bad as the current rash of cop killings is, I think in addition to Obama the police community in general bears much responsibility. While it's no doubt true that most cops are basically honest and "good" cops, the problem is that thin blue line mentality. Too many "good" cops know about the bad apples and don't do anything about them, allowing abuses to continue and to escalate. This is how entire departments wind up being investigated by the FBI and being put under federal supervision. We've had several departments in my state go through this in recent years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 11:52:29 AM »
The article just says he was suspended which is probably the automatic suspension.  However, at the end of the article it points out this was a pretty gruesome scene and in full public view.  This isn't something they can just sweep under the rug.  I think the best he could hope for is a plea deal after being fired.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 03:05:44 AM »
Drunk driving is surprisingly common among cops. Generally if they cause a fatality it's hard to cover up.  Not to say they don't try sometimes. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2002-09-30/news/0209300068_1_farrall-florida-highway-patrol-maurice-williams
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »
Drunk driving is surprisingly common among cops. Generally if they cause a fatality it's hard to cover up.  Not to say they don't try sometimes. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2002-09-30/news/0209300068_1_farrall-florida-highway-patrol-maurice-williams

In this case, it appears they largely succeeded in their cover-up:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2002-11-26/news/0211260302_1_farrall-crash-fbi-agent

The Highway Patrol created enough of a smoke screen that the now-former FBI agent was only convicted of DUI and reckless driving, but he skated on the more serious charges of vehicular manslaughter. Good job, FHP.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
In this case, it appears they largely succeeded in their cover-up:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2002-11-26/news/0211260302_1_farrall-crash-fbi-agent

The Highway Patrol created enough of a smoke screen that the now-former FBI agent was only convicted of DUI and reckless driving, but he skated on the more serious charges of vehicular manslaughter. Good job, FHP.

That case is an excellent example of why blacks don't trust cops. One cop gets drunk and kills two innocent black men, other cops try to blame the black guys and cover up that the cop was drunk and on the wrong side of the road. But stuff like this will never show up on any statistics sheet, so people keep pretending it doesn't happen.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »
That case is an excellent example of why blacks don't trust cops. One cop gets drunk and kills two innocent black men, other cops try to blame the black guys and cover up that the cop was drunk and on the wrong side of the road. But stuff like this will never show up on any statistics sheet, so people keep pretending it doesn't happen.

And, the cops would have done the exact same thing if the drunk cop had killed two white men. It's a corruption problem, not a race problem.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »
And, the cops would have done the exact same thing if the drunk cop had killed two white men. It's a corruption problem, not a race problem.

True, but when you're a member of the group that is most often affected by that corruption it is not unreasonable to observe that it is affecting your community disproportionately.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »

^^^ Agreed. I've ranted before about the "thin blue line" problem. I don't support or condone killing police officers, but IMHO they have only themselves to blame for the lack of respect much of the populace shows them. They need to weed out the bad apples, not cover up for them and protect them.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 05:59:09 PM »
They need to weed out the bad apples, not cover up for them and protect them.

This, and in a very high profile manner.  You want to protect the department's reputation?  Show us that it doesn't tolerate corruption at all, and that everybody has equal treatment under the law.