Author Topic: Cooper Tires, Discoverer HT3 vs. Discoverer M+S  (Read 671 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Cooper Tires, Discoverer HT3 vs. Discoverer M+S
« on: April 07, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »
I need new tires for my pickup; the ones on now are down to 3/32 and are over 10 years old.  Cooper's spring tire rebate just started.  (it's not a huge rebate, but $50 is $50)  I think I mentioned Treadwright tires recently; I've ruled those out even tho' the price is tempting cuz I just don't put enough miles on to run remolded tires.

The HT3's are a highway tire but they are rated for mud/snow.  The M+S has the 3-peak mountain/snowflake symbol, meaning they are good winter tires.  The M+S is probably softer rubber and will wear out faster, but I drive so few miles I doubt that matters.

What I'm wondering is:
1) will there be much difference in the fuel economy?
2) a couple of years down the road when the HT3's still look new and the M+S's are worn halfway down, might the HT3 have better winter traction?

(I'm sure this is another case of when presented with 2 choices and both are good and probably doesn't matter, I can't decide)

Either way, I'll be putting load range E tires on a half ton truck that doesn't pull a trailer very often.  So I don't care if Coopers have a little more sidewall flex than say, BF Goodrich or Goodyear.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Cooper Tires, Discoverer HT3 vs. Discoverer M+S
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:27:28 PM »
I prefer Cooper tires over BF Goodrich or Goodyear. I'd go with the HT3.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Cooper Tires, Discoverer HT3 vs. Discoverer M+S
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 09:17:50 PM »
Thanks, that's what I thought.  I just ordered a set of HT3s.
"It's good, though..."