Author Topic: Debunkable?  (Read 2521 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Debunkable?
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »
Cellphones allegedly popping popcorn with their microwave output. What do you think?

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/portable/video/x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-port%20%20able-microon_news
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Declaration Day

• friends
Re: Debunkable?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »
The video looks quite convincing, however I'm putting my money on "fake".  Our ears would be beef jerky by now if a phone emitted that much microwave radiation.  :lol:

Teknoid

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
The video looks quite convincing, however I'm putting my money on "fake".  Our ears would be beef jerky by now if a phone emitted that much microwave radiation.  :lol:

That would explain the morons in the fast lane doing 10 under the limit. I always figured it was because they didn't have a brain big enough to fry.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:19:27 PM »
BWAhahahah, I KNEW it ! Good chop job though, eh?  :laugh:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »
Without even watching it, I know it's fake.  The microwave energy emitted by cellphones is much lower than what amateurs work with on a regular basis and none of us have popped corn or fried our brains.

The FCC doesn't even require RF environmental evaluations until the power to the antenna exceeds 50 watts at the low end and 500 at the high end (depending on frequency).  At the frequency roughly equivalent to a cellphone, the limit is 250 watts.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:10 PM »
http://www.snopes.com/science/cookegg.asp

An interesting read.  Do not rely on your cellphone as a cooking device.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:53:36 PM »
You could probably make popcorn pop with the total power in a cellphone battery (not an actual battery, mind you, just the juice that's in it).  You'd need all of it, and you'd have to discharge it all as microwaves, but it might work.  Dumping the entire battery of my treo in one minute would give about 400w for that time.  This assumes perfect efficiency, which ain't happenin', but 400w delivered right would pop some kernels.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 10:49:39 PM »
Without even watching it, I know it's fake.  The microwave energy emitted by cellphones is much lower than what amateurs work with on a regular basis and none of us have popped corn or fried our brains.

The FCC doesn't even require RF environmental evaluations until the power to the antenna exceeds 50 watts at the low end and 500 at the high end (depending on frequency).  At the frequency roughly equivalent to a cellphone, the limit is 250 watts.

Chris
All true but if you didn't watch it you wouldn't know that they were depicted pointing 4 cell phones at the popcorn and calling them all at the same time. I figured it was probably bunko but I couldn't figure out how they did it. Now I know. It was all in the pixels man, the pixels...  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:43 AM »
Who cares?  The real issue is, THEY'S PUTTIN RAINBOWS IN ARE SPRINKLER WATER!!!11
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:53:44 AM »
 :O

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 06:08:22 AM »
Who cares?  The real issue is, THEY'S PUTTIN RAINBOWS IN ARE SPRINKLER WATER!!!11

That does it....I'm not drinking sprinkler water anymore...gonna stick with tap water....all that chlorine and fluoride kills off the rainbows...  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 07:50:59 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage