Author Topic: Megamillions!  (Read 1892 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Megamillions!
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »
Just wanted to let y'all know that I will not be changing how I treat y'all, in spite of the Megamillions jackpot.

Mostly because I did not buy a ticket.

But if I had, and won, it would not change me.  (There is no way I could be more curmudgeonly, is there?)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Megamillions!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
I was going to be very giving. I was going to give each of my kids a cool million dollars. Of course, it would be set up so they could only have about 25k a year until they turned 55. Don't want them to think they can just skate through life. But, I don't expect them to be getting anything.  ;)

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
I don't know if I won or not yet; my ticket is in my office.  I'll have to check it tomorrow.

I just found out today that they changed the odds in October, and also changed the annuitized payout formula to shift the money towards the end (when you'll probably be dead)
"It's good, though..."

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 11:49:09 PM »
Even after taxes the one time payout is over 300 million I think.   I might have to eat Ramen Noodles, but I could get by on that.  It might change my list of guns that I "need" however =D
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 01:07:11 AM »
Winners in San Jose, CA and Georgia according to the news.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

castle key

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »
I am a winner!!!

$2
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:39:50 AM »
Well, my odds of winning are only slightly below those who actually bought a ticket. So, I'm still holding out hope.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »

Didn't win. Probably for the best. I'd probably be inclined to indulge my creativity if I had a couple hundred million in the bank accounts.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »
It would be fun to win if nothing else to tell everyone who comes asking for money "NO!".   =D

And yes, my list of needed guns would changes as well as my idea of a "safe" and home security. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:20:30 AM »
Since I don't recall being in either San Diego or Georgia, I can only hope that Freakzoid and/or MrsSmith will cut me a check.   =D

Although that spider thing may have backfired on me.   :facepalm:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 10:20:45 AM »
I WON! I ACTUALLY WON!

Well, I won $1....

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 10:23:09 AM »
Since I don't recall being in either San Diego or Georgia, I can only hope that Freakzoid and/or MrsSmith will cut me a check.   =D

Believe that winning ticket in GA was sold in the ATL...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 12:39:48 PM »
I WON! I ACTUALLY WON!

Well, I won $1....
In the three previous drawings I won . . . $2, $2, and $1.

This one . . . nada.

BUT here's an offer I'll make to APS members only: I'll SELL you my tickets for the big drawing for only 10 cents each - that's a 90% savings off the original price, and you've still got almost the same chance of winning!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
Bought a couple of tickets, and had fun with the wife talking about what could be done with that kind of money.  New location, new home, charity work, hobbies.  Favorite point of discussion...making a significant donation to the law school we both attended so that we could fire a couple of professors we hated.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »
$5 bucks worth of tickets.  Why not, right? 

I'm actually more inclined to play when the payouts are more normal. 
But with Mega millions messing with the odds, and the $2 tickets for powerball now, I might just start only buying Texas lotto. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
$5 bucks worth of tickets.  Why not, right? 

I'm actually more inclined to play when the payouts are more normal. 
But with Mega millions messing with the odds, and the $2 tickets for powerball now, I might just start only buying Texas lotto. 
My wife says she'd be a lot more inclined to play if they just gave out multiple smaller prizes, increasing the number of prizes given instead of the single jackpot. So instead of bumping the jackpot to 300 million, bump up the number of (smaller, say 10 million) jackpots awarded up. Win less, but more likely to actually win.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 05:33:17 PM »
It is quite ironic that gambling in the state of SC is forbidden...except for the state run lottery.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 05:34:51 PM »
It is quite ironic that gambling in the state of SC is forbidden...except for the state run lottery.
The state hates competition.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
The state hates competition.

The state lottery here only passed 11 years ago...and only because they sold it as an education funding lottery.

Mind you I'm not bitching about a lottery. More money from idiots (and I'm not talking about the ones who spend a few bucks here and there on a ticket, I'm talking about the ones who spend hundreds weekly) is a good thing. It's one of the more honest thing the .gov does...it's voluntary, not forced like taxes.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
But if I had, and won, it would not change me.  (There is no way I could be more curmudgeonly, is there?)

There's always room for improvement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 12:08:15 AM »
Thought about buying a ticket, but forgot.  Oh well.  Out to around 8 decmil places my odds are the same.
Formerly sumpnz

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »
The state lottery here only passed 11 years ago...and only because they sold it as an education funding lottery.

Mind you I'm not bitching about a lottery. More money from idiots (and I'm not talking about the ones who spend a few bucks here and there on a ticket, I'm talking about the ones who spend hundreds weekly) is a good thing. It's one of the more honest thing the .gov does...it's voluntary, not forced like taxes.

This.

I ensure I put a hundred times as much into my retirement and investments as I do gambling. I drop maybe $10 on lotto tickets when it gets to $200+ million. Which is what, twice a year? Three times? I view it as a source of entertainment. One serious thing I'd do if I won would be sponsoring financial related seminars for teenagers in high school. On 401Ks, IRAs, basics of investments, etc. In retrospect, I am shocked at how little practical life knowledge is taught in middle and high school. It seems basically 90+% college prep, with a smattering of vocational training.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »

Nope not me, and the ticket was bought up in San Jose. Hopefully one of the guys in the work pool did.  :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »
..making a significant donation to the law school we both attended so that we could fire a couple of professors we hated.

I like the way you think.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 07:15:33 PM »

Same here. My stepdaughter has been using the lotto scholarship for 3 years, so I'm not complaining.

I buy a ticket maybe once a month. It makes for a nice fantasy.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln