Author Topic: Netflix -- What the Hell?  (Read 1028 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Netflix -- What the Hell?
« on: August 23, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »
I must have jinxed myself giving Netflix the big thumbs up in that other thread. I just looked at my Queue and freakin' 6 of 10 things have "short wait" or "long wait" next to them. That's a first. I can see it with a couple of them because they were just released, but I've got waits on Rocky and Bullwinkle, Tom & Jerry, and of all things, "The Rundown". The freakin' B movie Rundown. How does THAT happen???

Okay ,rant off.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

jnojr

• friend
Re: Netflix -- What the Hell?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 01:48:26 PM »
I know the feeling.  I wanted "The Astronaut Farmer", and it was just sitting at Very Long Wait.  So I gave up and ordered it on PPV.  Waste of $5.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 02:04:02 PM »
They may only have a very limited number of less popular titles. Since (my understanding) is that you can keep em as long as you want, even a few die hard fans keeping things for a long time could cause slowdowns. But what do I know?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

atomd

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:35:28 PM »
I got rid of my Netflix a while back. All of a sudden the one day wait increased to a week. Once it went to 10 days. These were for movies that didn't even have wait times listed. So I put up with it for a few weeks and then I called them to see what the problem was. It turned out they flagged my account as a "heavy user account"...and they delayed all my movies on purpose. I went back to the user agreement and sure enough, it was in the fine print. When they advertise unlimited movies and normally a one day wait, I don't feel they are being 100% honest.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »
It turned out they flagged my account as a "heavy user account"...and they delayed all my movies on purpose.

INTERESTING. I've been watching a lot of stuff of late. I've got the two DVD plan and have been mailing DVDs back about every other day for a few weeks now. I wonder if that's what they did to me? Thanks for that info!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 08:36:35 AM »
I think they did that to my uncle also.  He was making recordings and sending them back almost the same day he got them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
It depends on how many copies they have. Run-of-the-mill Hollywood blockbusters are generally quick. A weird foreign movie may have to ship across the country. Since I like foreign movies, it has happened to me many times.

My gripe with Netflix, if any, is that sometimes shipping is delayed for unknown reasons. They send me an email that they received the stuff, then a few days may pass before they let me know the next one is shipping. Why? And why on titles marked "available now"? I seldom get more than one batch turnover per week. Things should be faster. Finally, why send me scratched discs that hiccup 5 times during the movie?? Check before shipping, dammit.

I look forward to a Netflix variant available through cable TV. "Movies on Demand" gets expensive very fast right now.