Author Topic: 500 scientists refute global warming dangers  (Read 9512 times)

jeepmor

• friend
Re: 500 scientists refute global warming dangers
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 05:35:48 PM »
So, is the sky falling or not?  If it's not falling, how do we pitch for more grant money....nevermind, it's falling, more grant money please.

Ice records show a direct link to the warming and cooling trends, and they have  been associated with the solar activity.

Do I think that man cannot have an impact on the environment, no way, look at our overfished oceans for example.

However, do I believe there is a large political agenda forming on it to further tax us and free us of our hard earned money...you bet your bippy skippy.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 05:36:16 PM »
I don't know about 100 years ago, but I'm fairly sure there was no smog problem in urban areas 200 years ago.
No, but they had animal manure issues and problems of basic sanitation along with a host of other problems.  Take away a couple, add a couple.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »
Al Gore and his ilk are in it for notoriety, money and the power.
Al Gore is already wealthy.
Al Gore received more than 50% of the popular vote in a Presidential election and has shown no interest in running again: do you really think that PowerPoint lectures on global warming increased his 'notoriety' or 'power' compared to, say, becoming a power broker in the Democratic Party?

Now, who else are included in this ilk? What "money" and "power" have they grabbed?
It could be ego, but it doesn't matter to me.  He is just another so-called enviro guy who doesn't practice what he preaches.  All show.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AntiqueCollector

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 02:26:04 AM »
In the 1800's and the early 20th century some places were so full of coal smoke in the air from industry streetlights burned during the day and people still had trouble seeing...not to mention all the health problems...

My home state, Vermont, was almost bare of forests. Now it's covered in trees everywhere you look...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 05:11:33 PM »
Some of the ilk are getting rich selling carbon credits to the eloi.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 05:15:31 PM »
Quote from: richyoung
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I'm not disputing that in SOME ways the world is better -- in other ways it's far, far worse than it was 100 years ago.
Could I have some objective proof of that [last] part in red?
I don't know about 100 years ago, but I'm fairly sure there was no smog problem in urban areas 200 years ago.

Your "fairly sure" would be absolutely wrong.  Picture if you will a city the size of London, but with the homes heated and illuminated and food cooked...NOT with nukes, NOT with electricity, NOT with clean burning natural gas, NOT with kerosine or oil, but rather coal, wood, whale oil, and in some cases animal dung.  Add in the smoke from burning garbage.  Get an idea why "foggy old London" was so foggy?

The statistics strongly suggest that there is climate change.

For as long as there has been a climate, there has been climate change.  So what?  There never has been, and never will be, any guarantee that tommorow will be very much like 10, 100, or 1000 years ago.  Seen "Green"land lately?  You know, the place with the B-17s and P-38s under hundreds of feet of ice?

What remains disputed is how much of it is caused by industrialization, how exactly industrialization is causing it, whether stronger environmental protection limits on industry would be effective in stopping it, and whether global warming is a potentially catastrophic problem that we need to fix right now.

No dispute at all for anyone with a high school knowledge of science.  On Earth, water vapor is the king kong gorilla of green-house gases, responsible for over 92% of the total greenhouse effect - and its 99.999% from natural souces.  Nothing man can do...

For instance, it seems plausible to me that sludge we're dumping into the oceans might increase bioactivity on the low end of the food chain (which is being observed), which could heat up oceans fractionally.

It also seems plausible to me that increased efforts to curtail global warming might hamstring industry, preventing research in bioengineering, physics, and chemistry that might lead to real long-term solutions to global warming, either by counteracting it or eliminating its real causes.

Even if we were the primary cause of global warming, we've changed the biosphere so much that there might be nothing we can do about it now, other than continue on and look for artificial solutions.  Simply cutting back CO2 production (if CO2 is in fact the primary cause of global warming) may not do anything if we've kicked the biosphere into some other equilibrium / local minimum where higher CO2 levels are expected.

Earth is a very stable system - not prone to thermal or biologic runaway.  That means there are strong negative feedbacks to the things you fear - otherwise we would never have eveolved.  Mankind is, other than locally, insignifigant.  Further, a turnpike in New Jersey is every bit as much "natural" as a termite mound in Africa or a bee  hive in Austraia.  
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 05:19:24 PM »
So, is the sky falling or not?  If it's not falling, how do we pitch for more grant money....nevermind, it's falling, more grant money please.
This is an absurd argument.

Was science not funded prior to the last ten years of climate change research?
If a scientist was concered about a steady paycheck, why wouldn't he just sign on to write for the energy companies as so many have? Exxon, for all its faults, does pay better than your average academic job.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »

Keep it coming, guys.  Keep it coming.

http://timlambert.org/2005/04/gwsbingo/

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 03:09:27 AM »
Get an idea why "foggy old London" was so foggy?
Maybe it's not clear that modern smog is qualitatively worse.. If you don't like that example, take a look at the oceans, where we've dumped industrial sludge, fertilizer run-off, and other goodies into it since the dawn of industrialization.  That has dramatically altered the dynamics of the ocean's food chain.  There's also the matter of all the unusual radioactive isotopes we've dispersed around the globe through nuclear testing.  Those two changes can hardly be described as a change for the better.

For as long as there has been a climate, there has been climate change.  So what?
Alert... alert... I was agreeing with your sentiment.

No dispute at all for anyone with a high school knowledge of science.  On Earth, water vapor is the king kong gorilla of green-house gases, responsible for over 92% of the total greenhouse effect - and its 99.999% from natural souces.  Nothing man can do...
I don't know where that number came from, but supposing the 92% figure is correct... you're saying that the remaining 8% is irrelevant and can't possibly cause the observed temperature increase?  And don't increased temperatures mean increased ocean evaporation and increased atmospheric water vapor content?  And what did you just say was responsible for 92% of the greenhouse gas effect?

Earth is a very stable system - not prone to thermal or biologic runaway.  That means there are strong negative feedbacks to the things you fear - otherwise we would never have eveolved.
Negative feedback is no guarantee against catastrophe, particularly given how much we're doing to the biosphere besides dumping "greenhouse gases" into the atmosphere.  Until we have an accurate predictive model for how the biosphere works, and how we've changed it, we can't say with any certainty what a 6 degree temp increase will do... regardless of the observed historically tendency of the biosphere to clean up after itself.

Mankind is, other than locally, insignificant.  Further, a turnpike in New Jersey is every bit as much "natural" as a termite mound in Africa or a bee  hive in Austraia. 
It doesn't matter if we're locally insignificant or if everything we do is "natural" (which is just a semantics game).  We can still screw up the biosphere, making it uninhabitable not only for us but for most animals and plants as well.  We can do it intentionally with nuclear war, biowarfare, etc., and we can probably do it unintentionally.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 06:39:29 AM »
SkunkApe, making a game of it so you can avoid having to actually prove it is really ignorant. 

It is more of the arrogant "I believe man-made global warming is true, so I don't have to prove anything" crap.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 06:47:18 AM »
Maybe it's not clear that modern smog is qualitatively worse.. If you don't like that example, take a look at the oceans, where we've dumped industrial sludge, fertilizer run-off, and other goodies into it since the dawn of industrialization.  That has dramatically altered the dynamics of the ocean's food chain.  There's also the matter of all the unusual radioactive isotopes we've dispersed around the globe through nuclear testing.  Those two changes can hardly be described as a change for the better.
Has the level of background radiation of the earth changed at all since before nuclear weapons were developed?  I bet the answer it no. 
Have you seen the study that says if all of man's nuclear bombs were exploded, it would only increase the average background radiation of the planet by a small percentage?  They would certainly affect small areas greatly, but the earth is a big place.  The old lie that we have enough nukes to destroy the earth many times over was just an unsubstantiated political statement that was repeated until people believed it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 06:49:40 AM »
Negative feedback is no guarantee against catastrophe, particularly given how much we're doing to the biosphere besides dumping "greenhouse gases" into the atmosphere.  Until we have an accurate predictive model for how the biosphere works, and how we've changed it, we can't say with any certainty what a 6 degree temp increase will do... regardless of the observed historically tendency of the biosphere to clean up after itself.
If we don't have an accurate predictive model yet, how to we even know a 6 degree temp increase will happen?  For that matter, how can we then blame the increase on any one factor, natural or artificial? 

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 08:49:20 AM »
Maybe it's not clear that modern smog is qualitatively worse..

You're right - its NOT clear that it is worse.  In fact, with the exception of China and India, air quality is getting BETTER, world wide - by any objective measure...

If you don't like that example, take a look at the oceans, where we've dumped industrial sludge, fertilizer run-off, and other goodies into it since the dawn of industrialization.  That has dramatically altered the dynamics of the ocean's food chain. 

Fertilizer + phytoplankton = more fish for everybody.  Explain how thats a bad thing...

There's also the matter of all the unusual radioactive isotopes we've dispersed around the globe through nuclear testing.  Those two changes can hardly be described as a change for the better.

Without the nuclear testing, we don't have nuclear power, nuclear medicine, or the lack of WWIII for the last 60 years... a net PLUS, if you ask me.  If you have some objective data otherwise, I'll be glad to look at it.  But if we are going to discuss the BAD things soemthing does, fairness requires that we look at that in light of the GOOD it does also, and not just the bad things in a vacuum.

No dispute at all for anyone with a high school knowledge of science.  On Earth, water vapor is the king kong gorilla of green-house gases, responsible for over 92% of the total greenhouse effect - and its 99.999% from natural souces.  Nothing man can do...
I don't know where that number came from, but supposing the 92% figure is correct...

These guys put it at 95%:

References to 95% contribution of water vapor:

a. S.M. Freidenreich and V. Ramaswamy, Solar Radiation Absorption by Carbon Dioxide, Overlap with Water, and a Parameterization for General Circulation Models, Journal of Geophysical Research 98 (1993):7255-7264

Many, many references to 92-93%.

you're saying that the remaining 8% is irrelevant and can't possibly cause the observed temperature increase?

The vast bulk of that 8% is ALSO from natural causes.  Understanding that fact is CRUCIAL to understanding the "global warming" fraud.  Almost ALL charst of so-called "greenhouse" gases in the Earth's atmposphere LEAVE OUT water vapor, which is almost all natural and by far the bigeest greenhouse gas.  To do so deceitfully magnifies the effect of man.  It is about 0.28%, if water vapor is taken into account-- about 5.53%, if not.

This point is so crucial to the debate over global warming that how water vapor is or isn't factored into an analysis of Earth's greenhouse gases makes the difference between describing a significant human contribution to the greenhouse effect, or a negligible one.

Water vapor constitutes Earth's most significant greenhouse gas, accounting for about 95% of Earth's greenhouse effect (4). Interestingly, many "facts and figures' regarding global warming completely ignore the powerful effects of water vapor in the greenhouse system, carelessly (perhaps, deliberately) overstating human impacts as much as 20-fold.

Water vapor is 99.999% of natural origin. Other atmospheric greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), and miscellaneous other gases (CFC's, etc.), are also mostly of natural origin (except for the latter, which is mostly anthropogenic).

Human activites contribute slightly to greenhouse gas concentrations through farming, manufacturing, power generation, and transportation. However, these emissions are so dwarfed in comparison to emissions from natural sources we can do nothing about, that even the most costly efforts to limit human emissions would have a very small-- perhaps undetectable-- effect on global climate.

And don't increased temperatures mean increased ocean evaporation and increased atmospheric water vapor content?  And what did you just say was responsible for 92% of the greenhouse gas effect?

Pop quiz - is it WARMER or COOLER when a cloud passes overhead?  More water vapor = more clouds = more reflectivity into space during the day and more retained warmth at night - a simultaneous negative-positive feedback loop.

Earth is a very stable system - not prone to thermal or biologic runaway.  That means there are strong negative feedbacks to the things you fear - otherwise we would never have eveolved.

You aren't going to see 6 degrees - you will see a fraction of one degree, which will enhance crop yields.

Mankind is, other than locally, insignificant.  Further, a turnpike in New Jersey is every bit as much "natural" as a termite mound in Africa or a bee  hive in Austraia. 
It doesn't matter if we're locally insignificant or if everything we do is "natural" (which is just a semantics game).  We can still screw up the biosphere, making it uninhabitable not only for us but for most animals and plants as well.  We can do it intentionally with nuclear war, biowarfare, etc., and we can probably do it unintentionally.
[/quote]

NO.  You vastly overestimate man.  Stuff still grows at Chernobal, Hiroshima, and Bopal.  Who fed you this stuff?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »
NO.  You vastly overestimate man.  Stuff still grows at Chernobal, Hiroshima, and Bopal.  Who fed you this stuff?

As a matter of fact, the population of Hiroshima today is over one million and it is a major industrial center. Not bad for a nuclear wasteland.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 09:47:33 AM »
Because England is a low-lying island?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »
Because England is a low-lying island?

That was certainly a part - burning coal, peat moss, wood, animal dung, and garbage was also a big part...

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 01:22:38 PM »
I'm curious if there are contemporary reports of the ground fog being 'smoke' (or whatever they would have called smog then) rather than 'fog.' I've never seen anything of the sort. Are there contemporary cities where visible pollution stands at human-level?

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 03:19:15 PM »
SkunkApe, making a game of it so you can avoid having to actually prove it is really ignorant. 

It is more of the arrogant "I believe man-made global warming is true, so I don't have to prove anything" crap.

If you check the link in my post, you'll see the author provides links in each square that purport to discredit each of the arguments on the bingo board.

By the way, did you know a gun in the home is 42 more times likely to kill a family member than a criminal?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »
I'm curious if there are contemporary reports of the ground fog being 'smoke' (or whatever they would have called smog then) rather than 'fog.' I've never seen anything of the sort. Are there contemporary cities where visible pollution stands at human-level?

Well, there are smaller towns and townships today that have a lot of residences densely clustered around lakes, for example, where people are using wood burning furnaces designed to be placed outdoors that circulate heated water through a heat exchanger in the house.  Low hanging, noxious wood smoke is becoming a problem to the point where these types of wood burners are being banned unless you own substantial acreage, or meet EPA standards for scrubbing the smoke.

Any area of dense population that uses coal will have a smoky pall as well as particulate being discharged into the air.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SkunkApe

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 06:40:28 PM »
Global warming, which isn't real, is now melting the Siberian permafrost (Not that I believe in the Siberian permafrost, which was probably also made up by dirty liberals):

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/find-out-how-to-earn-a-cool-10000-a-day/2007/09/19/1189881559357.html

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 07:15:32 PM »
Quote from: Skunkape
Global warming, which isn't real...

Strawman.  Be precise.

Quote from: Rational people
Global warming, which is almost certainly occuring, but which may or may not be occuring due to human influence, is now melting the Siberian permafrost... (and the ice on Greenland, similar to other apparently cyclical warming periods in the past.)

Would be a more correct representation of most of the "skeptic's" positions.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

wacki

• friend
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2007, 03:12:43 AM »
Does the climate change periodically?  I think everyone who has a brain understands this is so.  The historical record seems to point this out.  Does man contribute to significant climate change or any climate change?  I don't believe there is any hard science that proves that at all.

Does that mean we should not be wary and careful about our activities?  Certainly not.  Does it also mean that America should throw itself back into the stone age while the rest of the developing world continues to pollute at monumental levels?  No way!  Follow the money and the politics.

Man causing climate change shows the arrogance of the secular, Neo Liberal, Leftist mind.  Always these folks elevate their importance way beyond that which can squash them like a bug.  The earth and the universe will go its way in spite of man. Good science states that Mars is warming as well. I suppose my pickup is responsible for that as well?

If your idea of good science is tobacco and oil funded think tanks then you are correct.

If your idea of good science is peer-review journals and major scientific societies then you would be incorrect.

wacki

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2007, 03:17:54 AM »

But given the evidence (sun warming .... volcanos giving off more "greenhouse gas" than human activities, etc.) 

Nothing could be further from the truth.  Read this:
http://www.logicalscience.com/skeptic_arguments/the-sun-is-the-problem.html

For the volcanoes try searching the USGS website.

and the fact that many advocates of human caused global warming theories are at best questionable (ex.: Al Gore), I think that in this case, it's highly unlikely we're the cause of it.

Well you could say the same about whatever source of yours is blaming volcanoes.  Try a real institution:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/ymdfdg

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2007, 10:28:52 AM »

If your idea of good science is tobacco and oil funded think tanks then you are correct.

If your idea of good science is peer-review journals and major scientific societies then you would be incorrect.

References to 95% contribution of water vapor to Earth's greenhouse effect:

a. S.M. Freidenreich and V. Ramaswamy, Solar Radiation Absorption by Carbon Dioxide, Overlap with Water, and a Parameterization for General Circulation Models, Journal of Geophysical Research 98 (1993):7255-7264

Mybe I didn't get the memo - is the "Journal of Geophysical Research" funded by tobacco & oil?  BTW, exactly how does where the money come from CHANGE THE RESEARCH DATA?    After all, as a scientist yourself, surely you would point out ERRORS IN THE RESEARCH (if there were any) rather than imply that the source of the funds somehow deligitimizes the data.  Mankind is responsible for a fraction of a single degree of warming - unless you have data otherwise, based on gas percentages and their reletive greenhouse effectiveness?

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »

Don't be so sure.  It was actually worse due to coal usage.
http://www.j31.co.uk/home9.html

In 1285 the burning of coal was discouraged in London because of its sulphurous smell, and in 1685, 50 people died in 1 week from coal smog (London was England's only really large city, most 'cities of the period had populations smaller than present day Aston cum Aughton, e.g. Norwich in 1500 had a 12,000 population and was the 2nd largest city in England).

In 1873 when the industrial revolution was in full swing 700 people died in a London coal smog. The toll rose remorselessly and in 1880 there was a London smog that killed 2,000 people in 1 week and 90 days per year were recorded as having a yellow/brown/orange, well, sulphurous coal smog. The smoggy scenes so beloved of contemporary 19th century writers like Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) and Robert Louis Stevenson (Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde) plus countless Jack the Ripper films, were dependent upon coal smog! London was the most populous and energy consuming city in the world back then, but it was coal that supplied the UK's energy needs, and the Yorkshire coalfields supplied much of the black gold.