Author Topic: ugly car  (Read 5606 times)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Re: ugly car
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2007, 08:15:56 PM »
"While we are on the subject of ugly cars, let's not forget the wonderful colors. Baby *expletive deleted*it yellow or puke green, anyone?"

Oh, you mean the colors of my '69 Ford F100?

jfruser's actually seen it.

The only concession to this century is swapping out the points for a Hall effect ignition module. I had enough of adjusting points in the 1970's.

As far as ugly vehicles, nobody has mentioned the Pontiac 6000LE.  A friend of mine who worked at a dealership told stories of Bubba coming by to see 'that Ponnyac Goolie and 'Luminum Chevy'

Regards,
Rabbit.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2007, 08:37:32 PM »
My first car was an '81 AMC Spirit.  It was very reliable transportation that stood up to a lot of neglect.  Always started, even after the storm drains backed up and the street flooded during a very heavy thunderstorm.  It turned over, spat a few gallons of muddy water out of the exhaust pipe, and ran as if nothing had happened.  There wasn't a problem until six months later when I couldn't shift gears--there was ice in the transmission!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2007, 09:01:28 PM »
I would imagine the folks responsible for the Pontiac Aztec are no longer employed by GM.  If you notice, the cladding on the Chevy Avalanche made a hasty departure after just a year or two.

I didn't know the Maveric/Comet/Pinto-Stangs of that era even had frames, Mike!  I thought they were unibody...

Regarding ugly, I guess I should admit my first car was a 1960 Chevy Apache 20 - it looked very similar to this Apache 10:

I'd get another one some 25 years later, but I'm up to my elbows in my '53 Chevy 3/4 ton project now.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2007, 05:25:53 AM »
"While we are on the subject of ugly cars, let's not forget the wonderful colors. Baby *expletive deleted*it yellow or puke green, anyone?"

Don't forget the orange chevy pickups with the avacado green interiors.  :puke:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2007, 05:50:28 AM »
Regarding ugly, I guess I should admit my first car was a 1960 Chevy Apache 20 - it looked very similar to this Apache 10:

I think we have a winner.   shocked  Why are the brake and tail lights on the front ?   smiley

mfree

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2007, 07:17:03 AM »
"It was the exact same frame, "

Nope. Mavericks are "Ohio" frames, if I remember the codes correctly. They're the last vestige of the Falcon.

Pintos, I don't remember the frame code but they're a beast in and of themselves. Those who love to call the Mustang II a pinto must also remember that the only shared component between the two is a small section of rear floorpan.

It's easy to see; Mavericks have shocks and springs attached to the upper a-arm with a terminus in the top of the shock tower. Pintos have it attached to the lower arm with a terminus on a horn attached to the K-frame.

Pintos never came stock with a V8. They did, however, eventually come fitted with the 2.8 V6.

Mustang IIs almost didn't come with the V8 either; that's why a lot of parts are split 1974 and 1975-later, there was a minor redesign to get the V8 to fit. Same with the Maverick and the 1971 versus 1972 onward models... those are easy to tell, 4 lug versus 5 lug wheels.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2007, 08:59:28 AM »
Aw c'mon, NOBODY held a candle to AMC when it came to hideous. I give you proof, the 74 Matador Coupe. You might wanna avert your eyes...

Matador was the first thing that came to my mind as well when I read the thread.  Pretty much anything made by chrysler during the 70's as well is completely tasteless and ugly.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2007, 02:05:23 PM »
They're the last vestige of the Falcon.

Of fond memory.  My first 2 cars were Falcons, a '63 and a '61.  The first one succumbed to too much rust, the second because nobody, but nobody had a replacement electric wiper motor.

The first Mustang was basically a Falcon with the passenger compartment moved back.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2007, 08:35:55 AM »
You know those Toyota Scion XB's- yeah, pretty ugly. Why, oh why, would one want to drive a box?

They get excellent mileage. They have tons of legroom; put the front seat all the way back and a 6 foot plus man can sit in back without touching the front seat. The tall windows equal great visibility. The instrument cluster is a single large gauge on top of the dash; I hated trying to look through the steering wheel to see how fast I was going, this thing is like a friggin HUD. And they're cheap.

So I can deal with a little bit of ugly for a lot of practical.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2007, 08:53:24 AM »
The Scion xB is the box the Scion xA came in.  grin